Why can we perform against the better teams in this league, but not the dross?

David

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, David said:

It's slightly concerning when we have games against Wycombe, Huddersfield and Forest coming up. 

Win these 3 and we can sail off into the mid table sunset, lose and we're in a real mess still.

Different teams have different attributes, typically the teams at the bottom being more physical. As we have a fairly young and physically weak squad, we will tend to struggle against those stronger teams.

However, our youngsters are very good technical players so can out play most sides in this division when strength isn't a concern.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Alternatively the fact that there are teams below us in spite of how bad we have been shows how dross they are

The word dross is quite hypocritical IMHO, we're the lowest scorers in the entire league so to call other teams dross against that metric for example is absurd. 

A few weeks ago some were talking of dragging Cardiff into the scrap and they are now 7th.
The league is full of bang average teams and they are all scrapping for every little point.
We are one of those teams as it stands so we need to continue to battle and scrap for each and every point.

Those teams who are not used to this battle will get beaten by those who are if they both lack enough quality and that has happened to us too many times. We need to accept we lack the quality and get battling, the sooner we do the more points we will pick up from those around us. 

We are getting there, but need to pick it up even more. 

Because the so called “dross” sit deep against us and don’t allow us time on the ball. Our attack is so utterly dreadful that we then don’t have a chance of breaking them down, and become easy pickings on the counter attack to balls over the top. The teams further up the table go at us more because of our poor position, which we have dealt with pretty well at times, as our defence has been strong under Rooney, certainly when Bielik was fit anyway. We get a bit more space in that sort of situation, and can occasionally score a goal and win the game.

We need to start beating the teams around us too, and the only way to do that is to start looking like we have a capable attack. Big job for Rooney to sort that out.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

The word dross is quite hypocritical IMHO, we're the lowest scorers in the entire league so to call other teams dross against that metric for example is absurd. 

It works another way! We have only conceded 29 goals, only 6 teams have conceded less. So having the 7th best defensive record in the championship does that make 16 or 17 teams dross.

To be honest I think Boro are a better version of the likes of Rovrum. I think we can take heart from the performance because it wasn't pretty. It was more of a roll your sleeves up and battle type of affair and I thought we were good value for the win. There seemed to be a tweaking of the style too. It wasn't exactly hoofball but we did seem to set out to not allow them to press high up the pitch. It suggests to me that Rooney and Rosenior are aware of the problem we have against sides like Boro and found a pretty cute way to address it.

In this league it helps if you have some technical ability when you come up against the better sides, but to do well, you have to be able to win ugly too. Today I thought we showed that actually, we can do that too. It was a pleasant change to see us really frustrate a team and I don't think we ever looked like losing. Had we not given away a few silly freekicks late in the game, there'd not have been an anxious moment, to my eyes at least and I think that's a big step forward. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Seeing as we're only 3 points above the relegation places we'd be hard pushed to classify other teams as dross 

It's not hard, look

Forest are dross

Easy, there you go just type the letters d r o s s 

This may be simplistic but I think it largely comes down to a good start.

In our four wins at home under Rooney, we have got the first goal. In three of those games we have scored the opening goal inside the first 15 minutes.

We are a team of growers, not showers. I don’t think we have the confidence to control a game from minute one and dominate in whatever circumstances. We need a break. Something to fall for us. And then we grow from there.

Take today: Buchanan’s header back across goal finds a red shirt and it could be a different game.

It didn’t and it wasn’t. But when things go our way, it gives the players a platform. We suddenly have momentum, we suddenly have confidence, and we can lean on our game plan.

We can play in a calm, structured and confident manner, whereas the opposition have to go back to the drawing board and reassess. The majority of those teams have then been exposed for a lack of ideas.

However, in the games against Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday, for example, we haven’t got that early goal, taken our chances or had any luck, and when we then have been beaten to the punch, we have no answers.

It’s worrying that when we go 1-0 down, we tend not to be able to find a way back into the game.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

However, in the games against Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday, for example, we haven’t got that early goal, taken our chances or had any luck, and when we then have been beaten to the punch, we have no answers.

It’s worrying that when we go 1-0 down, we tend not to be able to find a way back into the game.

This is something that needs to change. We will get nowhere if we can't come back from going down in a game. No points won this season from losing positions is horrific.

Archived