DCFC Chess club

IlsonDerby

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cisse said:

Are there any chess players on my level? I know the rules but I have no idea about strategies. I would also gladly lose against slightly better players for I could learn something.

The rest of us have the end of lock down to look forward to, or just breathing mate. Too busy.

15 hours ago, Cisse said:

Are there any chess players on my level? I know the rules but I have no idea about strategies. I would also gladly lose against slightly better players for I could learn something.

I'm not sure what the skill levels are of the players on here, but there's players of all levels as you would imagine. DCFC Chess Club has a competition which currently has 16 players playing, and the ratings seem to be from 900 up. A scratch player starts with 800 for example, a good player would be 1200 or above, if you watched The Queen's Gambit the first competition she was playing had players rated 1800 (and very good) and a world master would be above 2000. I think you'd find a few players from here who would give you a fair game - and there's variations that level the game a bit by taking pieces off the stronger player to even things up. Plus there's training materials, puzzles and lessons to help you improve.

Give it a go. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep playing. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

Is it played live where you agree on a time to be online, or is it where you have X hours to play your turn or you miss a go/forfeit?

Few different types of play, some of which I've never tried. There's games that have to be started and completed in a set time (say 10 minutes per player) and there's daily games where you get a day, or two, or three to play. You agree the type of game at the beginning and if you fail to play a move in the agreed time, you lose. Bullet, Blitz and Rapid are types of games where you start and finish in one game, in a short period of time. Daily are the more steady game where you can take hours over a move - but if it's your go, you play as fast or as slow as you like within the limit. It might say daily, but usually you'll get time to sit and play - if your opponent is doing the same you find it goes like a normal game over a table would do.

Thanks.

I've signed up to the website today, but as the world's worst chess player, I doubt whether I'll be taking you Boris Spasskys on in the near future.

Just playing the 'bots is enough for me at the moment.

On 02/02/2021 at 13:37, IlsonDerby said:

https://www.chess.com/club/dcfc-chess-club

A few of us who enjoy playing chess made a club on chess.com. 

Thinking about running a few tournaments but its just a space for Rams fans who are interested in playing chess too. 

Follow the link and join if you fancy it - all levels welcome. 

I love how the analysis tells you that you are doing it absolutely wrong. The computer generally says, "WTF?" at most of my moves. 

On 04/03/2021 at 21:17, Cisse said:

If you go to chess.com you will find an excellent site which has all sorts of stuff on there, lessons being one, puzzles another.  You can play against the computer at a range of levels starting at absolute beginner right through to master standard and beyond. So you can practice and you can set it to let you have take backs and give suggestions. At the end of the game it gives you an analysis showing where you went wrong and teaches you to look for a better move. then of course you can play people of your own standard all around the world. OK so you have to pay, but i pay only £25 per year I think and I get a lot of use out of it. You get a free trial before you have to pay. I would really recommend it    

3 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

If you go to chess.com you will find an excellent site which has all sorts of stuff on there, lessons being one, puzzles another.  You can play against the computer at a range of levels starting at absolute beginner right through to master standard and beyond. So you can practice and you can set it to let you have take backs and give suggestions. At the end of the game it gives you an analysis showing where you went wrong and teaches you to look for a better move. then of course you can play people of your own standard all around the world. OK so you have to pay, but i pay only £25 per year I think and I get a lot of use out of it. You get a free trial before you have to pay. I would really recommend it    

Look at the first post ?

I won the first game. Despite one mistake I played quite well.

then I was black - under pressure - was too slow and the opponent quit. Couldn’t be arsed with me ?

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RamNut said:

Get beat every time I play Danya

this time he never even moved his Queen ?

6CBB0DF7-07C8-4E6E-A62F-28088B7B38DF.thumb.jpeg.41511ae58908fbf6073eea95122570af.jpeg

Danya is quite good though, rated 2650. For comparison, Capablanca was 2725 at the height of his ability.

I just got my 'arris handed to me by a guy rated 1500, absolutely battered me to the point of amusement.

On 05/04/2021 at 12:55, GboroRam said:

Danya is quite good though, rated 2650. For comparison, Capablanca was 2725 at the height of his ability.

I just got my 'arris handed to me by a guy rated 1500, absolutely battered me to the point of amusement.

Yeah. I was hoping it would be educational. It’s not, probably because I don’t know enough about what I’m trying to do. Currently playing Nelson 1500 and it’s about 50/50 wins and losses.

It’s been quite interesting to play again after many years.

Discovered Anna Rudolf on YouTube who is good fun and a good player. Similarly watched a couple of extraordinary Bobby Fischer games. One where he took his king for a little early walk In front of his pawns. That had me laughing out loud and feeling very nerdy.

Archived