Radio Derby and Smart Speakers

TigerTedd

Is it possible to listen to Radio Derby commentary on smart speakers or similar these days.

I've got one DAB radio in my house, that I only ever use to listen to radio Derby (means I have to disappear off to my bedroom whenever there's a match on). Everything else I listen to through the internet or my HomePod though.

I'm thinking about replacing the DAB radio with a Sonos wifi speaker, so I won't have a DAB radio, just the smart speaker. But as far as I know, you can't listen to Derby County commentary through the internet or smart speakers.

Any ideas? Or am I stuck keeping hold of a DAB radio?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Is it possible to listen to Radio Derby commentary on smart speakers or similar these days.

I've got one DAB radio in my house, that I only ever use to listen to radio Derby (means I have to disappear off to my bedroom whenever there's a match on). Everything else I listen to through the internet or my HomePod though.

I'm thinking about replacing the DAB radio with a Sonos wifi speaker, so I won't have a DAB radio, just the smart speaker. But as far as I know, you can't listen to Derby County commentary through the internet or smart speakers.

I think my Mum has struggled on her Echo Dot.

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Many smart speaker support Chromecast. You can cast the audio from your computer or phone to the speaker. 

Or you could buy a Chromecast dongle for your TV or HiFi. 

Edit...i.should add that this would need a RamsTV subscription. That would be the only legal way to get the audio stream on a PC. Otherwise I think you would need to stick to DAB. 

My preferred way fwiw, is phone + RamsTV + Bluetooth headphones. Then I can listen to my hearts content while still keeping Mrs Hants happy as I'm doing DIY or gardening ?

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Many smart speaker support Chromecast. You can cast the audio from your computer or phone to the speaker. 

Or you could buy a Chromecast dongle for your TV or HiFi. 

Edit...i.should add that this would need a RamsTV subscription. That would be the only legal way to get the audio stream on a PC. Otherwise I think you would need to stick to DAB. 

My preferred way fwiw, is phone + RamsTV + Bluetooth headphones. Then I can listen to my hearts content while still keeping Mrs Hants happy as I'm doing DIY or gardening ?

I think a rams tv subscription is definitely a must for next season. 

but it just seems odd that a ‘smart’ speaker isn’t smart enough to pick up a dab signal.

ive just realised though, I could just go sit in my car and listen. I little anti social, but at least I’ll get some peace in my bubble. 

On 10/07/2020 at 15:47, TigerTedd said:

Is it possible to listen to Radio Derby commentary on smart speakers

No

any intelligent speakers would immediately turn Radio Derby off.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

No

any intelligent speakers would immediately turn Radio Derby off.

My radio cries every time they pass to Malone.

Surely people can just buy RamsTV so they can listen on DAB. 

I just say 'Alexa play BBC Radio Derby' and it does. Though it will not play the match commentary as it's against EFL  rules to broadcast over the internet. So I pay £5 a month for Rams TV, that way I can listen to RD commentary through the DCFC app whilst at work etc. Connect your smart speaker and phone together via bluetooth and you should be to listen through the speaker just fine

On 10/07/2020 at 18:30, TigerTedd said:

I think a rams tv subscription is definitely a must for next season. 

but it just seems odd that a ‘smart’ speaker isn’t smart enough to pick up a dab signal.

ive just realised though, I could just go sit in my car and listen. I little anti social, but at least I’ll get some peace in my bubble. 

All the smart speaker does is pick up the internet stream that’s available on each radio website. There’s no radio functionality built into the devices. 

If you want DAB, you’ll need a DAB radio.  

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

All the smart speaker does is pick up the internet stream that’s available on each radio website. There’s no radio functionality built into the devices. 

If you want DAB, you’ll need a DAB radio.  

I just thought, surely it’s within Apple or amazon’s power to fit a fab receiver into the unit. 

i heard a radio advert today in the car, where not very long ago it said ‘treat your car with a new DAB radio’, and I thought it was one of those, but it ended with ‘treat your car by hooking it up to your phone getting radio through the internet’.

almost seems like DAB going to die a death before it’s barely began cos technology has already overtaken it. 

like BluRays, thought I’d start replacing my DVDs with BluRays, but now I just buy everything off sky store and either stream movies or watch them straight off my box. I’ve got the BluRay versions all unopened.

Or even digital TV. Such a massive faff to turn off the analogue signal not too long ago, but before long everyone will be subscribing to streaming services. 

tech moves so fast these days that things are becoming obsolete before you’ve even had chance to upgrade.

the point of that rant is that radio Derby, or whoever sorts out the rights for radio commentary need to catch up and enable the commentary through online resources. 

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I just thought, surely it’s within Apple or amazon’s power to fit a fab receiver into the unit. 

i heard a radio advert today in the car, where not very long ago it said ‘treat your car with a new DAB radio’, and I thought it was one of those, but it ended with ‘treat your car by hooking it up to your phone getting radio through the internet’.

almost seems like DAB going to die a death before it’s barely began cos technology has already overtaken it. 

like BluRays, thought I’d start replacing my DVDs with BluRays, but now I just buy everything off sky store and either stream movies or watch them straight off my box. I’ve got the BluRay versions all unopened.

Or even digital TV. Such a massive faff to turn off the analogue signal not too long ago, but before long everyone will be subscribing to streaming services. 

tech moves so fast these days that things are becoming obsolete before you’ve even had chance to upgrade.

the point of that rant is that radio Derby, or whoever sorts out the rights for radio commentary need to catch up and enable the commentary through online resources. 

It’s not cost effective to add DAB technology to a smart speaker. Especially when it’s only really functional in the UK (and some EU countries). These things are mass produced. The only change in each box is the type of plug they include. 

DAB has been around since the mid 90s and in most cars since the early 2000s. I think it’s unfair to say that it’s gonna die a death before it even got chance. BBC stations didn’t start broadcasting on FM until the late 80s, DAB swiftly took over a lot sooner than internet streaming has replaced DAB. 

Unfortunately the EFL will never let BBC stream the matches on the internet. I dunno if it’s just to generate more money for the clubs or what but £5 a month to Derby for internet streaming of BBC Derby isn’t a bad deal... if you can enjoy BBC Derby that is.  

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit late, but there is a solution. Many mobiles have a built in FM radio - especially the cheaper ones, oddly enough. You have to plug in earphones to function as the aerial, but you can sill play the output through bluetooth. Just connect the phone to your Sonos during matches and you get the commentary. OK, you have to be within the broadcast area, but I think you do for DAB to work anyway.

Archived