BBC Sport vote for best play off game

Herdwick Ram

On 22/05/2020 at 15:26, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I fully support the 'football wasn't invented in 1992' cause. I absolutely despise the way Sky move fixtures about without giving a duck about the match-going fan. But it's not exactly surprising that I might consider something that happened more than 30 years ago, before the age of Sky and social media, to be less well known than something that happened in 2012. I'm not saying Aguero's moment was better, but I am arguing that it's better known.

I think that’s the sad part, that you consider how “well known” It is a measurement....... the reality TV generation- Morrissey May be a total whack job with some very dodgy political standings but he called it in the 80’s when he wrote “fame fame fatal fame, It can play hideous tricks on the brain”

Both goals are hugely important and iconic but Thomas goal is light years ahead of Agueros In terms of drama.

it was the final game of the season, i think the rest of the league had already finished, against their direct rivals for the title, Liverpool had only to not lose by 2 to win the league, Hillsbrough was still fresh in everyone’s minds, It was at Anfield on a Friday night live on TV in a time when the only game on TV was the cup final..

I can still remember watching It, i watched the game again a couple go weeks again on zoom with my friends in England and I guarantee that in 30 years time that no one is hunting down Manchester City v QPR and watching that game over again. 
If Sky had been around in 89 then the Thomas goal would still be being played on Sky Sports News every time the title was mentioned. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Yes was also at Highbury for the game where we gave the scousers a chance.

Got into trouble with the ex wife for going as it was just after Hillsborough, she was concerned about me going to football, this ended up resulting in a row that lasted a good week after. ended up watching the title decider round me mum and dads just to get away LOL.

I was at this game. Went along to see if I could buy a ticket or pay turnstile and found a ticket on the floor. Was sitting parrallel to Saunders wonder goal. He turned Tony Adams inside out that game. 

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I think that’s the sad part, that you consider how “well known” It is a measurement....... the reality TV generation- Morrissey May be a total whack job with some very dodgy political standings but he called it in the 80’s when he wrote “fame fame fatal fame, It can play hideous tricks on the brain”

The original point I was making was about goals going down in folklore. It was never about a goal being ‘the most important goal ever’.

it was the final game of the season, i think the rest of the league had already finished, against their direct rivals for the title, Liverpool had only to not lose by 2 to win the league, Hillsbrough was still fresh in everyone’s minds, It was at Anfield on a Friday night live on TV in a time when the only game on TV was the cup final..

I know. I’ve listened to multiple podcasts about the game.

I can still remember watching It, i watched the game again a couple go weeks again on zoom with my friends in England and I guarantee that in 30 years time that no one is hunting down Manchester City v QPR and watching that game over again. 
If Sky had been around in 89 then the Thomas goal would still be being played on Sky Sports News every time the title was mentioned. 

That’s just factually incorrect. I’ve watched the highlights of the City game at least ten times, and it only happened eight years ago. God knows how many times I’ll have seen it in 30. I won’t watch the full game because, outside of Derby and the World Cup, I just don’t watch football anymore.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Fokelore=fame=reality TV generation

Folklore: “The traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth.”

AKA the opposite of reality TV and the 15 minutes of fame concept.

31 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Folklore: “The traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth.”

AKA the opposite of reality TV and the 15 minutes of fame concept.

In that case, Agieuros isn’t even in the same universe as Thomas. 

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Well, judging by this thread, your generation has done a fantastic job of passing it down through word of mouth.

Yet 31 years on the terrestrial TV tv still shows the whole game in it's entire format .

A Man City v QPR game in 2012 on sky just won't.

The Aguero goal was less important and exciting as McGovern's in 1972, the only thing with McGovern's is it wasn't on Telly. ?

All we have is this:

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Well, judging by this thread, your generation has done a fantastic job of passing it down through word of mouth.

Give me a call in 30+ years when they have made 2 films and a best selling novel about man city beating a terrible QPR team at home. 

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's like 'Boomers' telling 'Millenials' that they're all entitled snowflakes, forgetting that they were the ones who actually raised them!

With that i agree with you DFR, We have a lot to be accountable for particularly lack of accountability when it comes to the need for the nanny state.

I know who Michael Thomas is, but I don’t know the goal or the game. I was 6 at the time, sorry.

It’s unlikely that anyone who wasn’t born or was a young age at the time of a game between 2 clubs they do not support are going to go back and watch the game. 

But it’s mentioned in a book and 2 films, great but what if you haven’t read or watched those?

I haven’t and it’s not like I have been living under a rock. 

During this lockdown many classic games are being shown, RamsTV is compiling goals that I and others would probably never have seen had it not been for the lockdown.

There will have been many great games over the years and there will be many more in years to come, the longer you are on this earth the more you will see and be able to talk about. 

As years go by there will be fewer and fewer fans to insult younger fans with football wasn’t invented in 1992, just because they haven’t seen a goal or a game.

Saying that, the leagues and cups will be probably rebranded and repackaged and us young’uns will be just like the old‘uns now banging on about football wasn’t invented in 2056 you know, flabbergasted by 21 year olds that haven’t seen the play off second leg at Leeds United and the scenes following Marriott’s goal.

45 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ha ha. No, course It wouldn’t. Because we all know when football was invented.....

So Sky documentaries don’t count? Got it.

I suppose anything produced by the BBC doesn’t either. It was formed in 1922, after all, and we all know that football actually started in 1888 with the formation of the football league...

4 hours ago, David said:

I know who Michael Thomas is, but I don’t know the goal or the game. I was 6 at the time, sorry.

It’s unlikely that anyone who wasn’t born or was a young age at the time of a game between 2 clubs they do not support are going to go back and watch the game. 

But it’s mentioned in a book and 2 films, great but what if you haven’t read or watched those?

I haven’t and it’s not like I have been living under a rock. 

During this lockdown many classic games are being shown, RamsTV is compiling goals that I and others would probably never have seen had it not been for the lockdown.

There will have been many great games over the years and there will be many more in years to come, the longer you are on this earth the more you will see and be able to talk about. 

As years go by there will be fewer and fewer fans to insult younger fans with football wasn’t invented in 1992, just because they haven’t seen a goal or a game.

Saying that, the leagues and cups will be probably rebranded and repackaged and us young’uns will be just like the old‘uns now banging on about football wasn’t invented in 2056 you know, flabbergasted by 21 year olds that haven’t seen the play off second leg at Leeds United and the scenes following Marriott’s goal.

Absolute rubbish David, the Liverpool V Arsenal game Is a truly iconic football moment and should be treasured by all for its sheer dramatic nail biting ending. I was 12 and didn’t support either of them but remember It and know about it. Any football fan imo should be at least aware of it. It’s not an insult to say football wasn’t invented in 1992 it’s a fact that’s unfortunately missed by many especially the Sky TV and social media brigade.  

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Absolute rubbish David, the Liverpool V Arsenal game Is a truly iconic football moment and should be treasured by all for its sheer dramatic nail biting ending. I was 12 and didn’t support either of them but remember It and know about it. Any football fan imo should be at least aware of it. It’s not an insult to say football wasn’t invented in 1992 it’s a fact that’s unfortunately missed by many especially the Sky TV and social media brigade.  

I haven’t seen one person ever say football was invented in 1992, it’s the same line that’s thrown out to belittle younger fans opinions like it’s their fault they was born into the Premier League era.

That game might be iconic for your generation and older, but clearly not for younger generations. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Perfectly put my friend. Perfectly put. 
I was 17 when the game was on and can recall so much about it and reckon if pushed i could name you both starting 11...I watched all of the city v QPR game and couldn’t tell you more than 4 players in It...dramatic it certainly was, but as iconic as the Thomas game...? Not even close. 

Archived