BBC Sport vote for best play off game

Herdwick Ram

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Perfectly put my friend. Perfectly put. 
I was 17 when the game was on and can recall so much about it and reckon if pushed i could name you both starting 11...I watched all of the city v QPR game and couldn’t tell you more than 4 players in It...dramatic it certainly was, but as iconic as the Thomas game...? Not even close. 

Liverpool lost didn’t they (had to Google it) no wonder it’s an iconic game for you ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little more Googling, the match was postponed out of respect following the Hillsborough disaster and decided the title which Arsenal won.

Yeah, suddenly this is making sense as to why @MuespachRam is so passionate about this game. If I had known this I wouldn’t have got involved. ?

I am 30 so a lot of iconic sporting moments were before my time, but it’s no excuse.

With YouTube, it’s so easy to dig into the archives and expand your knowledge.

Maybe it’s just me but from an early age I loved watching highlights of classic matches and reading about the history of football and being ‘a student’ of the beautiful game. My room would be full of VHS tapes.

I find football from different eras absolutely fascinating, so I am fully aware of the significance and the iconic nature of that Michael Thomas goal.

Look up Lawrie Sanchez’s header for Wimbledon v Liverpool in the FA Cup final.

Even more beautiful. ?

22 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I find football from different eras absolutely fascinating, so I am fully aware of the significance and the iconic nature of that Michael Thomas goal.

I really struggle to watch old matches. Between the poor quality picture, and the muddy fields they called pitches, it's just not what I know. I'm sure many posters on here would much prefer that though.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I really struggle to watch old matches. Between the poor quality picture, and the muddy fields they called pitches, it's just not what I know. I'm sure many posters on here would much prefer that though.

I don’t get why the Watford/Leicester match is so popular. Sure it’s dramatic but I wouldn’t say it’s the second greatest.

Forest/Yeovil should really be on the list.

Southampton H 2006/07 second leg should have got a mention too. I think it’s the best match Pride Park has seen. Literally drama from the first minute until the end.  Rams TV are showing it on Tuesday night. Anyone too young to remember or wasn’t a fan back then it I recommend watching it.

8 hours ago, David said:

I haven’t seen one person ever say football was invented in 1992, it’s the same line that’s thrown out to belittle younger fans opinions like it’s their fault they was born into the Premier League era.

That game might be iconic for your generation and older, but clearly not for younger generations. 

So you haven’t seen numerous polls “best Premier League team ever” “best premier league goal” best premier league manager” like before then never happened, that’s what the slogan football invented before 1992 derives from. It’s not to belittle anyone, more to educate. A great barometer for this is apparently Arsenal are the only team to ever going unbeaten in a English top flight league, or so Sky would have you believe. 

The absolute arrogance and pigheadedness of Sky TV and the generation of football fan it’s spawned is nothing but a curse on the history of our game and also more worryingly the sustainable future of it. 

In my opinion anyway 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Perfectly put my friend. Perfectly put. 
I was 17 when the game was on and can recall so much about it and reckon if pushed i could name you both starting 11...I watched all of the city v QPR game and couldn’t tell you more than 4 players in It...dramatic it certainly was, but as iconic as the Thomas game...? Not even close. 

I could name you most of the City and QPR teams, and I was 12. But I suppose we’re back to your typical ‘anyone who claims to have more knowledge of modern day football than me is a liar’. The way you go on, Mason Mount was a player only known to his mum and dad before he joined us.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

So you haven’t seen numerous polls “best Premier League team ever” “best premier league goal” best premier league manager” like before then never happened, that’s what the slogan football invented before 1992 derives from. It’s not to belittle anyone, more to educate. A great barometer for this is apparently Arsenal are the only team to ever going unbeaten in a English top flight league, or so Sky would have you believe. 

The absolute arrogance and pigheadedness of Sky TV and the generation of football fan it’s spawned is nothing but a curse on the history of our game and also more worryingly the sustainable future of it. 

In my opinion anyway 

Of course I have, but that’s not claiming football was invented in 1992, just polls for games/goals during the history of the competition.

If you’re down the pub for the weekly quiz and they have a round on 90s Music, would you shout up, oi, music wasn’t invented in the 90s you know?

As I said earlier, for some the Premier League is all they have known, that is what they were born into.

It’s not arrogance, pigheadedness or any other insult you want to throw at them, it’s just that is all they know.

Theres a real hatred for Sky Sports and football today from the older generation that want to remind us how great football was before they got involved, what I don’t understand is if it’s so bad now, why follow the game still? Or even join forums, social media and hold conversations with those fans that wind you up.

Sky get the blame for the debt, players wages but it’s not Sky’s fault, that’s the clubs that agree to the agents demands. Now if clubs actually stood together and said no, we’re not paying, the financial side of the game wouldn’t be where it is today.

And I LOVE, the coverage Sky offers, sure it can be frustrating when a game gets moved, the Forest game was recently moved which meant I wouldn’t have been able to go so I have been affected and it could be handled a lot better than it is.

But, I love being able to sit on my sofa or down the pub with mates watching a game on Monday night, Saturday dinner, then 3 games on Sunday. I have a Sky Sports and BT Sports subscription, it’s expensive but it’s great.

The coverage the game gets now will ultimately mean fans will have a better knowledge of games, goals, players outside of their own team and across Europe so in 50 years time we’re not having conversations like this where fans are being accused of arrogance, pigheadedness as they haven’t YouTube searched a game back in the 80s which was apparently iconic at the time.

To finish, @DarkFruitsRam7 mentioned him, Mason Mount, at the time “some” were trying to claim nobody knows who he was, but this is the thing, they did and why? The coverage the game gets today.

Back in the 80s do you remember who was in the youth teams at Derby? I’m guessing not. Today though, fans do so when we see the likes of Sibley break into the team it’s not who is this kid, it’s excitement because we’ve seen what he can do. 

I love football today, finances need sorting out, Sky could handle rescheduling games better, but I LOVE it and I won’t hang my head in shame for feeling this way.

17 minutes ago, David said:

love football today, finances need sorting out, Sky could handle rescheduling games better, but I LOVE it and I won’t hang my head in shame for feeling this way.

Nor should you.

However I’m sorry Sky and the way it treats the fans is pure pigheaded arrogance and it does make me question why I still follow the game, in fact if it wasn’t for my love of Derby County then I would turn my back on the game no question. As for the greed that’s just the footballers and their agents I’m afraid, no one else......

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Nor should you.

However I’m sorry Sky and the way it treats the fans is pure pigheaded arrogance and it does make me question why I still follow the game, in fact if it wasn’t for my love of Derby County then I would turn my back on the game no question. As for the greed that’s just the footballers and their agents I’m afraid, no one else......

I agree on the Sky thing, whilst I understand they want the most relevant game at the time for their money, the notice they give before rescheduling games is ridiculous. 

Not sure what the answer is, leaving the game at 3pm on Saturday and still screening it wouldn’t appeal to either Sky or the clubs as it would effect viewers and attendances at the same time. 

Needs to be right up there on the agenda though as clubs outside the PL rely on ticket revenue so much, pissing fans off moving games around will only see more get frustrated and either walk away from the game or pick and choose games over buying season tickets 

Archived