BBC Sport vote for best play off game

Herdwick Ram

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Had to google him. Way before my time, and I've never even heard the goal referenced. 

This games being replayed on ITV tomorrow.  Did the double over Arsenal that year including a lovely Saunders goal at Highbury a week or so before that was considered game set regarding there title bid .  Think it's mentioned in the film Fever Pitch.  Table at the end of the season made good reading. Shame there was no European nights the year after and shame Maxwell got bored with his project and signed Lineker for Spurs as a takeover sweetener rather than improve the squad further. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It did happen 10+ years before we were born!

Still, come on it’s one of English football’s most iconic moments. 

D544CB82-069A-4D8D-BBA0-5F693E7C6C9B.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Still, come on it’s one of English football’s most iconic moments. 

D544CB82-069A-4D8D-BBA0-5F693E7C6C9B.jpeg

I fully support the 'football wasn't invented in 1992' cause. I absolutely despise the way Sky move fixtures about without giving a duck about the match-going fan. But it's not exactly surprising that I might consider something that happened more than 30 years ago, before the age of Sky and social media, to be less well known than something that happened in 2012. I'm not saying Aguero's moment was better, but I am arguing that it's better known.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I fully support the 'football wasn't invented in 1992' cause. But it's not exactly surprising that I might consider something that happened more than 30 years ago, before the age of Sky and social media, to be less well known than something that happened in 2012. I'm not saying Aguero's moment was better, but I am arguing that it's better known.

I disagree but I guess it’d depend on the demographic voting. Moreover I don’t like to associate anything positive with Sky anyhow, for me it’s destroyed the entire soul of the game ( but that’s another debate for another day) 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You really have a habit of missing the point of what I'm saying.

I didn't talk about significance; I talked about fame. The Deeney goal is probably more famous than the Glass goal, as it occurred in the era of Sky Sports and social media. Just like Aguero's goal is more famous than Michael Thomas', despite having a similar level of significance.

As a Derby fan, Leeds is far more important and significant than the other ones on the list, with you brother ? 

It can be argued that any game in which Derby beat Leeds is the best game of football anywhere ever, let alone play offs, let alone this country, let alone anything else.

But especially that one. The lead up, the deficit, the goal down. It had everything.

Best game ever, certainly on this planet ?

10 hours ago, TexasRam said:

More famous than the Thomas goal, have you seen Aguero’s goal in a hit British film? I think not young man. Just because some young oik retweets it doesn’t make it any more famous. Football didn’t start in 1992 

Yes far more people watched Thomas's goal, as it was live on terrestrial telly☺️

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This games being replayed on ITV tomorrow.  Did the double over Arsenal that year including a lovely Saunders goal at Highbury a week or so before that was considered game set regarding there title bid .  Think it's mentioned in the film Fever Pitch.  Table at the end of the season made good reading. Shame there was no European nights the year after and shame Maxwell got bored with his project and signed Lineker for Spurs as a takeover sweetener rather than improve the squad further. 

It is mentioned in Fever Pitch. That win meant the title went to the last game.  For the youngsters Arsenal had to beat Liverpool at Anfield by 2 goals to win the league.  If they didn’t the title was Liverpool’s.  Thomas scored in injury time to make it 2-0.  Far more significant and important than Aguero’s as both potential winners played each other.

14 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It did happen 10+ years before we were born!

Are you aware we won the world cup

”there are some people on the pitch....”

even though I am 49 years young that was 4 years before I was born but I am well aware of it?

I can remember where I was when Arsenal beat Liverpool but not when Man City beat Queens Palace Rovers, largely cos I was on a date with a mega hotty  who I soon realised was not that into me so I was watching the game over her shoulder most of the night. 

5 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Yes far more people watched Thomas's goal, as it was live on terrestrial telly☺️

I was at the Arsenal v Derby game the week before, Saunders ripping Tony Adams a new one.

For the Liverpool v Arsenal game, I was on a first date with a very posh and monied girl, her father was the Director of the Director´s Institute in London. Spent the date ignoring her and watching the football!

Needless to say didn´t get a second date .

38 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

I was at the Arsenal v Derby game the week before, Saunders ripping Tony Adams a new one.

For the Liverpool v Arsenal game, I was on a first date with a very posh and monied girl, her father was the Director of the Director´s Institute in London. Spent the date ignoring her and watching the football!

Needless to say didn´t get a second date .

Yes was also at Highbury for the game where we gave the scousers a chance.

Got into trouble with the ex wife for going as it was just after Hillsborough, she was concerned about me going to football, this ended up resulting in a row that lasted a good week after. ended up watching the title decider round me mum and dads just to get away LOL.

It sickens me that so many on here knew nothing about the Thomas goal, or even the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider in general.  It's a massive part of football history for me and my generation. 
... And yet, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Recent convo's on the subject confirms that at least one of my own son's was also unaware.  He's almost 36, Born August '84.  (He watched the re-run of the '79 cup final yesterday... another classic he knew nothing about, and yet it's stored safely in my own mind as a major footy memory).

But the reasons for my nausea are merely my own rapidly advancing age.! The fact that so many are so much younger, yet are still old enough to read, write, and switch on a computer!

Born in '63, I know very little football history from 1947 to 1962, bar the odd headline. 
Wolves were big, apparently.  Their captain married a singing triplet and also captained England, by all accounts. 
I think 3rd division QPR were also the first winners of the league cup? 
And Bolton named their cup final after their striker... or summat like that!
I also know that Citeh's keeper broke his neck in the cup final, and also played a harrowing role in the war, but before I read his excellent autobiography a year or so ago (highly recommended), I was only aware of the neck thing! 

The thought that these younger posters are lacking some form of football education never crossed my mind, and comments along those lines must surely be based on either pure arrogance, or simple wummerism!  Why should they have known about a last minute title winning goal scored years... and in some cases, decades... before they were even born!

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Battle of Hastings was not far off 1,000 years before any of us were born but most know about it

But they teach that in school, I don't remember Miss telling us about Thomas' goal in history. (I've made that up for effect because I had long left school when it happened)

Archived