POOM! POOM!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not get to many games but I was at this one and I considered it a privilege to see

a) a good game that we bossed

b) one of the best ever headed goals from a corner that happened to be immortalised by being scored by our ex goalkeeper who had hero status at the club

c) the fans reaction in general which was that of genuine football fans, who did not forget what this guy had done for us in the past

d) lack of celebration and going up to the crowd by Poom which showed he still had Derby County FC in his heart

(disclaimer - I am not one of those who generally agree with players not celebrating because I think it is overdone by mercenaries who just move on for the money and for them it shows some disrepect to their new employer and the fans that are paying their wages - but in this case I make an expception - he is Mart Poom for gawds sake and I do not think he really wanted to leave, might be wrong there, memory painting everything rose coloured)

13 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I do not get to many games but I was at this one and I considered it a privilege to see

a) a good game that we bossed

b) one of the best ever headed goals from a corner that happened to be immortalised by being scored by our ex goalkeeper who had hero status at the club

c) the fans reaction in general which was that of genuine football fans, who did not forget what this guy had done for us in the past

d) lack of celebration and going up to the crowd by Poom which showed he still had Derby County FC in his heart

(disclaimer - I am not one of those who generally agree with players not celebrating because I think it is overdone by mercenaries who just move on for the money and for them it shows some disrepect to their new employer and the fans that are paying their wages - but in this case I make an expception - he is Mart Poom for gawds sake and I do not think he really wanted to leave, might be wrong there, memory painting everything rose coloured)

c) my dad was up in Newcastle at the time as he was doing the Great North Run.  The guy on the radio reckoned it was the most sporting gesture he'd seen in his time commentating on Sunderland matches, particularly as we were much the better team on the day and were desperate for a win at the arse end of the league.

I believe he had a few premier league options when we went down and Derby at one point turned down a 4 million offer, might have been Everton but couldn't swear to it . He did have a good moan that Derby were pricing him out of a move To be honest he was a good servant to us , had a year on his contract and probably could have moved earlier so his point was fair .  Think he went to Sunderland for less than a quarter of that a few months later.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Best keeper in a Derby shirt in my time as a supporter, also a much nicer human being than almost every footballer ever. 

people say Shilton, but not for me. 

Toss up between him and Colin Boulton for consistency for me. Shilts had a few amazing games and some ordinary ones as poor old Mel Sage’s ears would testify. No idea why he would scream at Mel when a 25 yarder went through his fingers 

12 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree it was annoying, but the video is right there. You're obviously not going to get away with describing the event in such a blatantly false manner. I'd hardly call what Poom did waltzing into the area and nodding the ball into the net. It was an incredible header. The height of his leap is crazy and the timing is perfect. Even if a Derby player did pick him up, which is a big ask anyway considering they're all manned up, they aren't getting anywhere near that ball.

Not describing the event in a 'false manner' at all. In my opinion it was lousy defending. Just one example of many instances during that season. 

10 hours ago, Roots Manuva said:

I quite liked Mathias Svensson, wasn't this around the time we had that Brazilian striker Junior too?

Yes he looked promising and put in some decent performances during his loan spell. Svensson was available as a permanent signing but Derby were apparently short of money and couldn't stump up the asking price. I think he signed for Norwich City for something like £50k (plus add ons).

18 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Toss up between him Iand Colin Boulton for consistency for me. Shilts had a few amazing games and some ordinary ones as poor old Mel Sage’s ears would testify. No idea why he would scream at Mel when a 25 yarder went through his fingers 

Poor old right backs when they played with Keogh...

Maybe it's a Derby Way?

Archived