Rams fan attacked

Stive Pesley

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Yeah, even just my two kids are so massively different, it doesn’t feel right that they are diagnosed with the same condition. A lot depends on what other problems there are. My son had a list of diagnosis as long as my arm, it’s those other things where most of the problems lie.

There is good support out there, but you really have to claw and fight for it, and most parents don’t know how to go about it. Luckily for me my partner has been around disability all her life and knew what she was doing.

we were also “luck” (if that that’s the right word) that due to our sons size, needs and violent behaviour, not one special school in Derbyshire would take him after his exclusion. So the council are paying a fortune to send him to a private school in Nottingham.

Getting support for our daughter on the other hand is like pulling teeth. But getting a diagnosis for a girl was nearly impossible not long ago. There’s been improvements, but there’s a lot more that needs to be done.

We’re in the strange time where it’s all a bit new (even though it’s been around forever) so the authorities don’t really know what to do with it. When I was assessed, and worked in social care, they couldn’t work out if autism came under mental health or learning disabilities. Mental health is a health / Nhs issue, learning disabilities is a social care / council so it’s not even that they didn’t know which team needed to deal with it, they couldn’t even work out which organisation needed to deal with it. They’re getting better, but but while they’re still not sure what it is and where it sits, people will easily fall through the gaps. Me and my two nephews are all completely different. 

Also, watch out when they turn 18. They can get all the support in the world from children’s services, but as soon as they turn 18, they’re someone else’s problem, and the services just switch off overnight. It’s a real problem in social care, and people can fall off a cliff overnight. 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We’re in the strange time where it’s all a bit new (even though it’s been around forever) so the authorities don’t really know what to do with it. When I was assessed, and worked in social care, they couldn’t work out if autism came under mental health or learning disabilities. Mental health is a health / Nhs issue, learning disabilities is a social care / council so it’s not even that they didn’t know which team needed to deal with it, they couldn’t even work out which organisation needed to deal with it. They’re getting better, but but while they’re still not sure what it is and where it sits, people will easily fall through the gaps. Me and my two nephews are all completely different. 

Also, watch out when they turn 18. They can get all the support in the world from children’s services, but as soon as they turn 18, they’re someone else’s problem, and the services just switch off overnight. It’s a real problem in social care, and people can fall off a cliff overnight. 

Yeah we have our 3 monthly multi agency review next week. This usually involves social services & CAMHS sitting across the table from each other trying to pass the buck.

Yeah I know what’s coming at 18 and dreading it.

Archived