The Politics Thread 2020

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Is he in the UK Government? Did I wake up and I've gone back in time?

Still worried about a government that stopped being in power over a decade ago?

It is odd that the people who most want to return us to 1950s mentality and 'values' are also the ones who seem to think we should worry about the actions of governments from the past affecting our lives today

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Government have not been in contact with the team that have developed open source software which google and apple apps have been built on lol. They wanted data and found out how hard it was to develop to lol api on both platform obviously apple harder than google.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Please do tell us what part of that is actually wrong though?

It does work on Android, just not very good with iPhones and how can they say that nobody wants to download something that isn't available anyway?

17 hours ago, djfred84 said:

I think they got rid of the intelligent conservatives when they tried to unlawfully prorogue parliament now really you have a bunch of chancers.  

Don't even need the 'h' in 'chancers' to accurately describe this government.

Thing i don't get is it is not a left or right issue or politics is  human issue that this government has been inept. The chancers have got rid of the tories that would have had an idea and the biggest person to blame is an unelected adviser.

38 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

It does work on Android, just not very good with iPhones and how can they say that nobody wants to download something that isn't available anyway?

Does it? Cos so far it doesn't actually exist so nobody actually know whether it works with Android

And you can poll people to see if they'd download it

The other advantage of working with Apple and Google is they could potentially make it a core app - So that they would make it a feature of all future OS versions - You can't make people use it but you can make it part of their system

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Does it?

According to the news yesterday, yes.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Cos so far it doesn't actually exist so nobody actually know whether it works with Android

Erm, testing?

Using your logic, how can they tell it doesn't work if it's not available.

Either way, the statement on the post is wrong - which is what your question was about.

6 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

According to the news yesterday, yes.

Erm, testing?

Using your logic, how can they tell it doesn't work if it's not available.

Either way, the statement on the post is wrong - which is what your question was about.

I wouldn't say 'worked' was the correct word here - 75% accuracy isn't great:

The centralised version trialled on the Isle of Wight worked well at assessing the distance between two users, but was poor at recognising Apple's iPhones.

Specifically, the software registered about 75% of nearby Android handsets but only 4% of iPhones.

By contrast, the Apple-Google model logged 99% of both Android mobiles and iPhones. But its distance calculations were weaker.

In some instances, it could not differentiate between a phone in a user's pocket 1m (3.3ft) away and a phone in a user's hand 3m (9.8ft) away.

So yeh - I'd still say it doesn't work

46 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

image.thumb.png.931e591c496ff1cc27f0f8faf1ec7efa.png

It was being developed by a company called pivotal vm ware and had nothing to do with Faculty. 

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/04/nhs-opts-for-centralised-contact-tracing-app/

Taken from the above.

“This article was edited on 29 April 2020. It previously stated that Faculty and Palantir were involved in developing the NHS contact tracing app; these are among the tech companies working with the NHS on the Covid-19 Datastore but not known to be working on the contact tracing app.”

27 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I wouldn't say 'worked' was the correct word here - 75% accuracy isn't great:

The centralised version trialled on the Isle of Wight worked well at assessing the distance between two users, but was poor at recognising Apple's iPhones.

Specifically, the software registered about 75% of nearby Android handsets but only 4% of iPhones.

By contrast, the Apple-Google model logged 99% of both Android mobiles and iPhones. But its distance calculations were weaker.

In some instances, it could not differentiate between a phone in a user's pocket 1m (3.3ft) away and a phone in a user's hand 3m (9.8ft) away.

So yeh - I'd still say it doesn't work

That report doesn't exactly sing the praises of the Apple/Google version either.

1 metre or 3 is pretty important. That's going to be a lot of trouble if it can't accurately report distances and they try and insist that you self isolate having come into contact with them, when you might not have got any closer than 3 metres away.

So the government are funding schools with an extra billion pounds, to help children who have missed out on their education. 

One of the proposed schemes that this money will pay for, is one to one tutoring of pupils that have been disadvantaged during lockdown. This all sounds very good but where are they going to find all the extra trained teachers that will be needed to carry this out?

Or will it be done by untrained staff, that are supplied by a private company. Wonder who'll get that contract

11 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

That report doesn't exactly sing the praises of the Apple/Google version either.

1 metre or 3 is pretty important. That's going to be a lot of trouble if it can't accurately report distances and they try and insist that you self isolate having come into contact with them, when you might not have got any closer than 3 metres away.

I'd say 3m in in a comfortable "rather safe than sorry" radius

31 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

See this is your exact problem - You're so self-centred you think BLM is anti-white people

Or, I was responding to a silly meme poking fun at white folks with a silly meme of my own.

Ah, I remember why I had you on ignore before.. ? 

As you were.

Archived