The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Just out of interest, after reading the opinions of so many in here for a long time now, can anyone confidently say that they know what racism actually is?

I think it’s perceived as discrimination 

19 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Of course they are. Why do so many people go th Florence to look at Michaelangelo statues?

A square is a rectangle but not all rectangles are squares...

A sculpture can be art but just because something is a statue doesn't mean it's art

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

You. I don’t understand what the link to that David Dimbleby show is for. 

It’s to tell you how we got to today’s society.

Good or Bad. 

It seems a lot of people in today’s society don’t understand it and I thought it might be useful and applicable.

But not you it seems. 

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

A square is a rectangle but not all rectangles are squares...

A sculpture can be art but just because something is a statue doesn't mean it's art

maybe the protesters in Bristol were actually doing a performance art piece that involved toppling a statue and bunging it in the Avon ?

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

maybe the protesters in Bristol were actually doing a performance art piece that involved toppling a statue and bunging it in the Avon ?

No it was pure out and out vandalism.

If they wanted it removed they should have lobbied the Bristol Council / government 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

If they wanted it removed they should have lobbied the Bristol Council / government 

I was joking, but as for your second point - they have been lobbying the council for years by all accounts

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I could actually get on board with performance art like that

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I guess someone should tell Banksy to stop then

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Statues aren't considered art - They're historical artefacts not art - So more like a book than a painting (that's not my opinion, I just googled it)

But even then - Paintings don't survive unless they're artistically worthwhile preserving which is analysed on an ongoing basis - We don't just keep all art because it's art - As we shouldn't need to keep statues just because at some point someone decided to make a statue

I really like the little area around the Clough/Taylor statue - and there's plenty of space there IMO to have a more detailed history of their role at the club, what they achieved and yes, the good and bad elements of what they did - More like a memorial - Also, would be a better source of information in the distant future when those of us who remember Clough (if not his time at Derby) aren't around any more

I agree. 

But that doesn't necessarily the support of removing all statues or even the Colston statue

What I'm taking from that is add even more history and even more context. Which I agree with. 

I'm guessing Colston does have a reason to be preserved. That reason is Bristol. 

It has a reason to be removed. That's obvious.

And it's the pros vs cons that have been debated for decades. 

Until someone removed the reason to debate by being vandals.

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I agree. 

But that doesn't necessarily the support of removing all statues or even the Colston statue

What I'm taking from that is add even more history and even more context. Which I agree with. 

I'm guessing Colston does have a reason to be preserved. That reason is Bristol. 

It has a reason to be removed. That's obvious.

And it's the pros vs cons that have been debated for decades. 

Until someone removed the reason to debate by being vandals.

Whether statues are or aren't actually removed is not for me to decide - I just don't see the point in them and think we might as well remove them all

There's a statue of Colston because he did a lot of good things with his money - However the reason he had that money was because he made a decent amount of it through slavery

Essentially he did nice things for white, British people by exploiting Black Africans - I'm not sure that's something to be celebrated - Would we build a statue to someone who funded cancer research by trading in blood diamonds? Does the end justify the means?

On the statue thing , vandalism stuff , isn’t it interesting how fast the person urinating next to a memorial was identified, found ,named in the media and jailed yet no such speed regards the vandalism of statues ? 

Archived