The Politics Thread 2020

3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Seriously are people really noting whether tests are actually carried out jeez.

I know. Ridiculous. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

All insurance companies do for a start. By regulation. And have done since 2001......

As a sensible management discipline, all companies of whatever type should really undertake a regular exercise to consider what sorts of things could give them serious issues. You telling me HMPS doesn't have a contingency plan for if theres a fire, a riot?

Then you decide if you are going to do anything about it or not and be clear about what risk you are taking in your course of action. You will at that stage form a view as to the likelihood of course in order to frame your decision.

So you are saying it would be stupid to for our government to consider taking any preventative measures at some cost vs saving money, in the hope that there would NOT be a serious pandemic. When we have had SARS, Asian Bird Flu, Swine Flu.......all this century. So about once every 10 years a disease emerges that COULD become global very easily.

I would say that you are being very dismissive of that likelihood. But that is obviously the gamble the government took and if you represent a majority view then they guessed right didn't they?

I wouldn't have made that call though - not at those odds.

As part of our ISO we discuss threats to the business.. A global pandemic was raised but bar insurance there was not much we could do to mitigate. 
I can’t for the life of me remember why but we did not take out that clause. Lesson learned there I suppose.

I was a couple of years ago now..

8 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Seriously are people really nit picking over how tests are counted jeez.

Well I don't really follow the press conferences...but if when the initial claim was made, the government were getting hammered for their useless approach to tackling the pandemic and to deflect they said 100,000 tests a day as a bare minium was the plan by the end of the month and was well within their means... 

And on the very last day of the month they were doing about half that and sticking tons in the post to fudge the figures....then that is just a rubbish magic trick where they keep moving the goal posts. 

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

“.....However, this figure includes tests which have been posted to recipients, but not yet carried out”.

i think that is called spin.

@i-Ram that goal might have to go to VAR.

I have referred this matter to the VAR committee on political spin:

the thick of it GIF

Dubious goal, but it stands.

52 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Many years ago we had a Chinese guy over on an exchange visit at work and I was asked to look after him .So took him out to see the delights of Notts in it's hey day ,took him up Derbyshire and of course to see DCFC .

When he was due to go home he took me out for a Chinese meal ,I ordered, and he then spoke in Chinese to the waiter ,what did you order I asked ?Something that they would eat he replied .

Turns out it was dog ,at the time I had an Old English Sheepdog and was quite taken back ,don't worry he said we wouldn't waste  dog on on English person . Come on Donald nuke em. 

I worked for the Chinese for 12 years, lovely people but strange.. First rule was NEVER ask what you are eating until you finished..

Mind you when they killed a snake at my table, I did put 2 and 2 together.. I swear it was still moving when we were eating it.. 1000 year old green eggs were a particular favourite..

I remember one lunch with a guy from Manchester who bragged he loved Chinese and he eats everything.. I just put my head in my hands and told him, bad move, when I saw the glee on the hosts face as he ordered in Cantonese.. And the green look when just a pidgeon appeared head and all.. Was a long lunch and the guy never recovered.. We sill laugh about it.. Plonker.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

All insurance companies do for a start. By regulation. And have done since 2001......

As a sensible management discipline, all companies of whatever type should really undertake a regular exercise to consider what sorts of things could give them serious issues. You telling me HMPS doesn't have a contingency plan for if theres a fire, a riot?

Then you decide if you are going to do anything about it or not and be clear about what risk you are taking in your course of action. You will at that stage form a view as to the likelihood of course in order to frame your decision.

So you are saying it would be stupid to for our government to consider taking any preventative measures at some cost vs saving money, in the hope that there would NOT be a serious pandemic. When we have had SARS, Asian Bird Flu, Swine Flu.......all this century. So about once every 10 years a disease emerges that COULD become global very easily.

I would say that you are being very dismissive of that likelihood. But that is obviously the gamble the government took and if you represent a majority view then they guessed right didn't they?

I wouldn't have made that call though - not at those odds.

That wasn't your point and you know it. 

Your point was that austerity was a waste of time because of this pandemic. 

That's stupid. It doesn't matter what precautions you take, economically it is a disaster. For every business. For every government. 

It's like saying 'why did I work for 7 years only to get furloughed and lose my house anyway, I should have blown all my money on holidays instead of that house deposit'. Mystic Meg did. 

And there's a difference between stating an idea is stupid and calling somone stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I worked for the Chinese for 12 years, lovely people but strange.. First rule was NEVER ask what you are eating until you finished..

Mind you when they killed a snake at my table, I did put 2 and 2 together.. I swear it was still moving when we were eating it.. 1000 year old green eggs were a particular favourite..

Surely they were past there sell buy date?

We went to Toulouse through work for a visit to Airbus, 15/20 of us, As we were their guests they took us to a country pub, Everyone had steak and salad, We cut into our steaks and blood everywhere, On top of the salad were crayfish, No word of a lie, Some of those creatures were moving.

Only a couple of the lads ate the steaks, The rest was left, Steaks cut to ribbons looking for a piece that was well done...but non?

Mcdonalds made a few bob that night...the French team were not impressed ?

1 minute ago, Norman said:

That wasn't your point and you know it. 

Your point was that austerity was a waste of time because of this pandemic. 

That's stupid. It doesn't matter what precautions you take, economically it is a disaster. For every business. For every government. 

These lot often change the agenda to suit themselves 

1 minute ago, TramRam said:

Surely they were past there sell buy date?

We went to Toulouse through work for a visit to Airbus, 15/20 of us, As we were their guests they took us to a country pub, Everyone had steak and salad, We cut into our steaks and blood everywhere, On top of the salad were crayfish, No word of a lie, Some of those creatures were moving.

Only a couple of the lads ate the steaks, The rest was left, Steaks cut to ribbons looking for a piece that was well done...but non?

Mcdonalds made a few bob that night...the French team were not impressed ?

I love a rare steak it does go cold quick though.

Just now, Van Gritters said:

These lot often change the agenda to suit themselves 

I just hate the twisting. It is clear we had to reduce the national debt. There were two approaches put forward, the country chose to cut costs. The alternative under Labour was to spend our way out of a recession. I'm not commenting on which approach was right or wrong. 

But to then say 'why did we bother wasting 7 years when this pandemic wiped all the hard work out' is stupid. 

You could apply that to every business. Not just the government. 

Just now, Norman said:

I just hate the twisting. It is clear we had to reduce the national debt. There were two approaches put forward, the country chose to cut costs. The alternative under Labour was to spend our way out of a recession. I'm not commenting on which approach was right or wrong. 

But to then say 'why did we bother wasting 7 years when this pandemic wiped all the hard work out' is stupid. 

It’s a good job we didn’t spend all that money or else that would have all gone to waste too.

6 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

It’s a good job we didn’t spend all that money or else that would have all gone to waste too.

Yeah, imagine if we'd nationalised everything. The debt...... 

I imagine Labour would have seen a global pandemic not seen in a century coming though and planned accordingly by buying the railways back, broadband etc just at the wrong time

15 minutes ago, Norman said:

One point worth nothing, although probably irrelevant to your point, but we have certainly not reduced national debt.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

One point worth nothing, although probably irrelevant to your point, but we have certainly not reduced national debt.

We certainly haven't - even as a percentage of GDP, the national debt now stands at two and a half times the figure it did when the Tories took over. In actual pounds Sterling, it's four times as high.

36 minutes ago, Norman said:

It's interesting to see that America under Obama went the other way by bringing in quantitative easing. The jury's still out as to whether that worked or not.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Well I don't really follow the press conferences...but if when the initial claim was made, the government were getting hammered for their useless approach to tackling the pandemic and to deflect they said 100,000 tests a day as a bare minium was the plan by the end of the month and was well within their means... 

And on the very last day of the month they were doing about half that and sticking tons in the post to fudge the figures....then that is just a rubbish magic trick where they keep moving the goal posts. 

The check's in the post.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Yeah, imagine if we'd nationalised everything. The debt...... 

I imagine Labour would have seen a global pandemic not seen in a century coming though and planned accordingly by buying the railways back, broadband etc just at the wrong time

And when it all went pair shaped they would blame it on the previous governments.

Archived