The Politics Thread 2020

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

45C7BCCD-79E6-402E-B6AF-6A745C776F4F.thumb.jpeg.28317f37597eaa6051f4dcf92cc51c51.jpeg

That graph shows March? And unless I missed it the end of the month is the 30th not the 21st?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That graph shows March? And unless I missed it the end of the month is the 30th not the 21st?

I presume it was printed on or shortly after the 22nd of April, which it goes up to. For full accuracy the intervening 8 days should be spaced out - but it does tell a story, don't you think?

15 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Way of the world now I’m afraid. I agree, a time and place. 

I don’t think the muppets in the main stream media would have let the government get away with that sort of declaration though.. It’s all about the blame game and they want facts where there are none. Gotcha questions are the standard now.

I don’t have a problem with the media here given that they seem to be asking relevant questions about why, during a health crisis, the government’s own testing target was (apparently) plucked out of thin air by the most senior government minister responsible for the nation’s health – and also for asking relevant questions about why, since the target was announced, the government has been trying to shift the target from being about ‘actual tests’ to ‘a capability’ to ‘an aspiration’.

More muppet government than muppet media.

While all the focus now appears to be on the number of tests carried out. I assume the provision of PPE that the country as much needed is now being met. As I've not heard about any shortages recently.

Or as someone with a clipboard now determined that the severity of hazard or the risks in dealing with it are now smaller, than was the case in the past number of weeks. So that the amount of PPE that is now required can be scaled back. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I presume it was printed on or shortly after the 22nd of April, which it goes up to. For full accuracy the intervening 8 days should be spaced out - but it does tell a story, don't you think?

Yeah, it shows that 100,000 tests per day were not available at the 22nd of April, which nobody ever said there would be. So not really a very good story.

36 minutes ago, ramesses said:

I don’t have a problem with the media here given that they seem to be asking relevant questions about why, during a health crisis, the government’s own testing target was (apparently) plucked out of thin air by the most senior government minister responsible for the nation’s health – and also for asking relevant questions about why, since the target was announced, the government has been trying to shift the target from being about ‘actual tests’ to ‘a capability’ to ‘an aspiration’.

More muppet government than muppet media.

I disagree, this constant barrage of aggressive questioning is appalling and it achieves nothing. 100% challenge things but the current SOP seems to just be aimed at tripping someone up. So the MSM can come back and vilify whoever made the statement. All it achieves is a closing of ranks and a refusal to say much at all. I agreed with an earlier poster who said that the target could have been communicated better but it wasn’t and now the  pack are gathering. I would much rather a more open and understanding press pack who understand that the government are dealing with something completely unique and that would enable the government to feel comfortable saying.  ‘Do you know what, we tried and got this wrong‘. Without the finger pointing, resignation demanding that would follow. Now we listen to a completely inane hour of sound bites and ridiculous questions that are not answered anyway. What would you rather? What we have today or an open discussion between adults? Something has to give. 
Piers Morgan is the classic example of everything the press has become. Shocking drivel from an ego maniac who is only interested in himself and bigging himself up. Step forward now the BBC, C4 and Sky who seem to think this is acceptable and are doing the country a great service. 

37 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

While all the focus now appears to be on the number of tests carried out. I assume the provision of PPE that the country as much needed is now being met. As I've not heard about any shortages recently.

Or as someone with a clipboard now determined that the severity of hazard or the risks in dealing with it are now smaller, than was the case in the past number of weeks. So that the amount of PPE that is now required can be scaled back. 

You've not heard about any shortages? That's all I hear from the BBC every day.

Maybe they have realised that 95% of hospitals have the PPE require and not just to focus on the areas where we have struggled.

37 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

There must be something I can throw at the Government (Tories) godammit. I am running out of ideas.

tantrum throwing a fit GIF

12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I disagree, this constant barrage of aggressive questioning is appalling and it achieves nothing. 100% challenge things but the current SOP seems to just be aimed at tripping someone up. So the MSM can come back and vilify whoever made the statement. All it achieves is a closing of ranks and a refusal to say much at all. I agreed with an earlier poster who said that the target could have been communicated better but it wasn’t and now the  pack are gathering. I would much rather a more open and understanding press pack who understand that the government are dealing with something completely unique and that would enable the government to feel comfortable saying.  ‘Do you know what, we tried and got this wrong‘. Without the finger pointing, resignation demanding that would follow. Now we listen to a completely inane hour of sound bites and ridiculous questions that are not answered anyway. What would you rather? What we have today or an open discussion between adults? Something has to give. 
Piers Morgan is the classic example of everything the press has become. Shocking drivel from an ego maniac who is only interested in himself and bigging himself up. Step forward now the BBC, C4 and Sky who seem to think this is acceptable and are doing the country a great service. 

Best advice i have seen is turn on the news for 5-10 minutes, find out whatever is going on, then go to more positive formats. Podcasts are much better.

Have actual experts on, they are allowed time to speak freely, the same questions get asked, but in a rational way and they get answered and can comfortably state when they don't know something. 

If ad revenue and salaries actually reflected engagement, the mainstream media would already be dead. 

He spends a week in his armchair, then over a week taking up a hospital bed, then another couple of weeks resting up, and then he does a day or two of work, and then he goes on paternity leave. Who voted for this buffoon?

200.gif

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

There must be something I can throw at the Government (Tories) godammit. I am running out of ideas.

Whoops sorry, I forgot it's disrespectful to the ask questions of the government. Should have had it vetted by an independent organisation first.

31 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hospital capacity?

Ventilators?

PPE?

I did suggest further up that the grooming gang scandal and knife crime are current problems but nobody seems to want to discuss them.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

45C7BCCD-79E6-402E-B6AF-6A745C776F4F.thumb.jpeg.28317f37597eaa6051f4dcf92cc51c51.jpeg

37,000 and 43,000 on the 26th and 27th. Number of tests on the 30th won't be too far off the 100,000 mark based on end of the month trends.

Testing has just been opened up to a wider audience, so it's certain the number of tests taking place will continue to increase. Restrictions on who can have a test have to be in place to ensure those who need the tests can get it straight away. These restrictions have meant demand for tests has been below capacity. Demand will now catch up to capacity as restrictions are adjsuted.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hospital capacity?

Ventilators?

PPE?

I did suggest further up that the grooming gang scandal and knife crime are current problems but nobody seems to want to discuss them.

Those more socially intellectual than us would only cry tommy rot.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

37,000 and 43,000 on the 26th and 27th. Number of tests on the 30th won't be too far off the 100,000 mark based on end of the month trends.

Testing has just been opened up to a wider audience, so it's certain the number of tests taking place will continue to increase. Restrictions on who can have a test have to be in place to ensure those who need the tests can get it straight away. These restrictions have meant demand for tests has been below capacity. Demand will now catch up to capacity as restrictions are adjsuted.

I hope not, some people have been waiting for the 30th like they wait for Xmas, praying that we dont reach the 100,000 mark!

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I hope not, some people have been waiting for the 30th like they wait for Xmas, praying that we dont reach the 100,000 mark!

Numbers revealed on the 30th are the tests done on the 29th. The figure for the 30th won't be revealed until the 1st... No doubt some people will find fault with that.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Numbers revealed on the 30th are the tests done on the 29th. The figure for the 30th won't be revealed until the 1st... No doubt some people will find fault with that.

They will be waiting up until midnight!

4 hours ago, TramRam said:

I will, Rolls Royce have thrown multi millions at projects devised by some University Graduates who believe their teachings with their own thoughts would make life easier and make more money for the company without ever working in the Aero industry, Plus poor Management who facilitate their desires.

Sunk cost fallacy is rampant in business. And in Government for that matter.

Archived