The Politics Thread 2020

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Actually Forbes have also said something else about this very subject. They ran the numbers to see whether Trump really is as shrewd as he likes everyone to believe. Most seem to assume that he inherited the lion's share of his father's $200 million estate but Forbes used a more 'modest' figure of $40 million and simply stuck the lot into the S&P 500 and left it there. Their findings were as follows (note the article was written in 2016 so there would be ab additional 4 year's growth to take into account)...

If Donald Trump inherited $40 million, then that inheritance would have grown to more than $13.0 billion had he invested it in the S&P 500 and margined it to the maximum degree allowable.  And, even though his portfolio would have suffered huge losses between 2000 and 2002 and then again in 2008 during the Financial Crisis, he would not have had margin calls that would have reduced his gains when the market later recovered.  This is the case even if his broker had imposed maintenance requirements considerably higher than Reg-T’s 25 percent.

Oh dear! It's also worth noting that at the time of writing, Trump was worth over $4.5 billion so his fortune has more than halved in the last 36 months if your figures are correct.

In summary, it seems Donald has managed to turn a large fortune into a small fortune without even buying a football club ?

Full article here... https://www.forbes.com/sites/katestalter/2016/09/01/would-donald-trump-be-better-off-investing-in-stocks/#22b3385e437b

Who cares he ain’t going to share it with me so he can stick it up his chuffer. Are people really bothered that he has far too much money to spend still yet still isn’t contributing to the bank of Gritters.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Actually Forbes have also said something else about this very subject. They ran the numbers to see whether Trump really is as shrewd as he likes everyone to believe. Most seem to assume that he inherited the lion's share of his father's $200 million estate but Forbes used a more 'modest' figure of $40 million and simply stuck the lot into the S&P 500 and left it there. Their findings were as follows (note the article was written in 2016 so there would be an additional 4 year's growth to take into account)...

If Donald Trump inherited $40 million, then that inheritance would have grown to more than $13.0 billion had he invested it in the S&P 500 and margined it to the maximum degree allowable.  And, even though his portfolio would have suffered huge losses between 2000 and 2002 and then again in 2008 during the Financial Crisis, he would not have had margin calls that would have reduced his gains when the market later recovered.  This is the case even if his broker had imposed maintenance requirements considerably higher than Reg-T’s 25 percent.

Oh dear! It's also worth noting that at the time of writing, Trump was worth over $4.5 billion so his fortune has more than halved in the last 36 months if your figures are correct.

In summary, it seems Donald has managed to turn a large fortune into a small fortune without even buying a football club ?

Full article here... https://www.forbes.com/sites/katestalter/2016/09/01/would-donald-trump-be-better-off-investing-in-stocks/#22b3385e437b

So he was worth $40m, and is now worth $2.1bn.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I know, he was going to start World War III, first with North Korea, then with Iran. Then he was going to demand the NHS be handed to him on a plate. 

Dont have much time for the guy.

The only reason I appear to defend him his because it's funny watching the rubbish that people try to use against him and then as soon as they get bored of that they move on to something else.

Its exactly the same with Boris over here.

It's not getting bored - it's that so much guff comes from the bloke that it's difficult to keep up.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

So he was worth $40m, and is now worth $2.1bn.

If you add in how much his companies were in debt when they filed for bankruptcy  - on 6 occasions, that would probably mean his businesses have earned a negative amount of money over his entire career.

You should always remember that Donald Trump is the man that thought selling steaks by mail order in the US was a good idea.   Trump Steaks.....yeah totally amazing that didn't work out.

Media manipulation is probably his one genuine skill. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

If you add in how much his companies were in debt when they filed for bankruptcy  - on 6 occasions, that would probably mean his businesses have earned a negative amount of money over his entire career.

You should always remember that Donald Trump is the man that thought selling steaks by mail order in the US was a good idea.   Trump Steaks.....yeah totally amazing that didn't work out.

Media manipulation is probably is one genuine skill. 

The very name Trump is a bit of a giggle. You could say he talks out of his arse. 

4 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I think this all started on the opposite foot where people were saying he had lost a load of money. Really!! who gives a duck?

Nah, it started when someone called him 'dumb' and his net worth was offered as a counter-argument. The subsequent posts are responses to that claim, nothing more.

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

For someone that says you don't have much time for Trump, you seem to jump to his defence without much prompting. Are your true colours showing through?

Nah, just like a bit of balance to a thread.

Would be a bit boring just sat here listening to everyone left of centre being called thick racists.

Especially when the same people doing this revert to 'attack the policies not the person' when the roles are reversed.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Why don't you have much time for Trump?

Why do you feel the need to defend him? 

What are the things that people say about him, in your opinion are rubbish?

I dont have time for many politicians at all.

I defend him because I like calling out hypocrisy. 

If Jeremy Corbyn or Dianne Abbot came in for half of the abuse that Trump does there would be a full scale meltdown on here.

Not sure why it should be one rule for one and one rule for another.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would be a bit boring just sat here listening to everyone left of centre being called thick racists.

Especially when the same people doing this revert to 'attack the policies not the person' when the roles are reversed.

Eh? Sorry G-Star, but I think you've had one too many Toilet Duck daiquiris. 

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's not. You slate Corbyn and Abbott at every available opportunity, despite neither being in government.

Yeah possibly and expect to get called out on it if they are personal attacks rather than anything related to politics.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah possibly and expect to get called out on it if they are personal attacks rather than anything related to politics.

Well I'll bid you a good evening then as I think I can see where this is going and I've got cold beers in the fridge ?

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

Master Yoda ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

People are criticizing Trump for what he did right now.  For the bizarre nature of the press briefing where he seriously suggested we spend time researching injecting disinfectant directly into patients. Not to mention him brazenly lying the following day and claiming it was a sarcastic comment on his part.  

That's what he is being criticized for, not simply for 'being Trump'. 

Ok, in your opinion was what he said at the press briefing ignorant and dangerous or not?  Yes or No.    And was he lying the following day when he said it was merely a sarcastic comment to a reporter?   Yes or No

Archived