Pre-season

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Matches against lower standard teams aren't irrelevant. They are essential for gaining fitness. If we spend a long time travelling, we player fewer games, so aren't as fit. Playing in the conditions that the players will experience at the start of the season is key to a good start.

I suspect that you are quite young. We have played quite a few big friendlies at PP and they have certainly given a good feel for a proper match day.

We have a few overseas fans because we used to be good and that has echoes. I would say that by playing overseas friendlies we've gained about 3 fans at a cost of £12m each.

You are entitled to your opinion, but i do not agree with anything you have said here. If the only reason we are playing pub teams is for fitness they are completely pointless. You may as well not bother at all - you dont need to play any of them to build fitness. I dont agree that they need to play in the UK to acclimitise either, which in any case we still do even if we do go abroad. As i said before if this is your reason for pre season games they would be much better served going to train in much harsher conditions or at higher altitudes, which would be better for both fitness and for adapting to uk conditions. 

Again nonsense about travelling. Why you think it must involve days of travelling i have no idea. You can still plsy more than enough games 

In the past 20 years we have had virtually no friendlies at Pride Park that get decent crowds and even when they do it is nothing like a proper matchday. Maybe you are thinking back to the Brian Clough days? Maybe it was different at the baseball ground?

Again your last paragraph is rubbish. We have picked up plenty of young fans abroad in recent years when we have had no success at all. We rarely do overseas friendlies and when we do them we usually do them in countries in Europe who already have strong domestic support. When we went to the States we played most of the games behind closed doors and did nothing to promote ourselves there. You seem to think weve been playing abroad in developing markets constantly, but this is not the case. We have had no  oherent strategy and we certainly havent spent millions on overseas trips.

34 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but i do not agree with anything you have said here. If the only reason we are playing pub teams is for fitness they are completely pointless. You may as well not bother at all - you dont need to play any of them to build fitness. I dont agree that they need to play in the UK to acclimitise either, which in any case we still do even if we do go abroad. As i said before if this is your reason for pre season games they would be much better served going to train in much harsher conditions or at higher altitudes, which would be better for both fitness and for adapting to uk conditions. 

Again nonsense about travelling. Why you think it must involve days of travelling i have no idea. You can still plsy more than enough games 

In the past 20 years we have had virtually no friendlies at Pride Park that get decent crowds and even when they do it is nothing like a proper matchday. Maybe you are thinking back to the Brian Clough days? Maybe it was different at the baseball ground?

Again your last paragraph is rubbish. We have picked up plenty of young fans abroad in recent years when we have had no success at all. We rarely do overseas friendlies and when we do them we usually do them in countries in Europe who already have strong domestic support. When we went to the States we played most of the games behind closed doors and did nothing to promote ourselves there. You seem to think weve been playing abroad in developing markets constantly, but this is not the case. We have had no  oherent strategy and we certainly havent spent millions on overseas trips.

It would be very interesting to hear from overseas fans as to why the became Rams. I'd bet that Clough, McKay, Cox and Smith, along with Dad, Mum, Grandad and family from Derbyshire, and probably Stimac, Poom, West, Wanchope, Kinkladze, Biano, Eranio and Strupar feature about a thousand times more than I saw a friendly.

13 hours ago, Spanish said:

There’s too much travelling time wasted plus body clock issues.  The US tour was a mistake and a long haul repeat would not be good at least this time around.  

Leeds played 2 games in Australia this last pre season, one against Man U and one against Western Sydney. Don't think it did them much harm at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Stagtime said:

Leeds played 2 games in Australia this last pre season, one against Man U and one against Western Sydney. Don't think it did them much harm at the start of the season.

I seem to remember them not getting promoted. Obviously all that travelling took its toll at the end of the season. 

Oddly enough, both Sheff Wed and Norwich did very early training camps in Europe with a friendly, but came back early and played a lot of games against local clubs of gradually increasing stature and had a big home friendly just before the season started. 

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe there'd be somewhere in Europe where we could meet 'Asian teams' halfway?

Asia's a big old place Roy. Technically starts at what we call the Middle East, just past Cyprus. 

And there's my worry. Our commercial arm seems so underdeveloped,  we would end up with some sort of "cut price" tour of Damascus, Baghdad and Kabul. They'd mistake "US" tour for "IS" tour....

Mind you, would bring new meaning to the phrase"winning your midfield battles"  ?

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Asia's a big old place Roy. Technically starts at what we call the Middle East, just past Cyprus. 

And there's my worry. Our commercial arm seems so underdeveloped,  we would end up with some sort of "cut price" tour of Damascus, Baghdad and Kabul. They'd mistake "US" tour for "IS" tour....

Mind you, would bring new meaning to the phrase"winning your midfield battles"  ?

Bit like when Leeds did a pre season tour in Myanmar!

10 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I seem to remember them not getting promoted. Obviously all that travelling took its toll at the end of the season. 

Oddly enough, both Sheff Wed and Norwich did very early training camps in Europe with a friendly, but came back early and played a lot of games against local clubs of gradually increasing stature and had a big home friendly just before the season started. 

Mate the season isn’t even half over yet, bit early to call them not getting promoted. But as i said it doesn’t seem to have hurt them so far. If you are talking about last season, liverpool had there pre season over here and they went alright.

Archived