How to improve team spirit

Ken Tram

After winning today, perhaps the team need to do another team bonding session on Tuesday evening!

Joking aside, apart from the feel-good factor of winning, what might be the best way to achieve the most effective and healthy team spirit?

People have talked of the Lampard culture. What would be the best approach under Cocu culture?

Can fans contribute to the team spirit - during matches and/or between matches - or is it entirely up to the coaches and players? Would it help if players were closer to the fans?

Should community trust participation be ramped up for all players, or only for those being disciplined? Is spending time with fans seen as a punishment?

Tennis doubles partners high five each other after every point, whether they win or lose it. Should we be loud and supportive however the match is going? Is that possible? It seems easier at away matches, but even then, it can be quieter sometimes. We certainly have a huge number of fans.

On the other hand, have some fans lost trust in players who were out drinking during mid-season, especially as we were 18th - although perhaps team bonding is more important when results have not been going our way!

Do the players need to do something to restore the trust of some of the fans, and would this give a boost to the way that the fans can contribute to team spirit?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the link between players and fans is tentatively improving- they do seem nervous of how we are going to react, especially at home. We can help with that by being a bit more patient. And it might help if a few more fans stay to applaud a win, too.

It was a very simple thing for Morris and Cocu to walk round the perimeter today but it was definitely appreciated.

The players do quite a lot for Derby County Community Trust already - I think 8 players contributed to the suicide prevention video for example - but I don't think people notice it or acknowledge it. 

At the end of the day, winning matches is what makes the ultimate difference.  

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

The players do quite a lot for Derby County Community Trust already - I think 8 players contributed to the suicide prevention video for example - but I don't think people notice it or acknowledge it. 

I guess I don't realise it either ... maybe we should try to post a topic when players have done something in the community ...

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

It was a very simple thing for Morris and Cocu to walk round the perimeter today but it was definitely appreciated.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm normally gone as soon as final whistle goes. Stayed and applauded today. First time I've seen Cocu return the appreciation, hope it continues. 

That sounds like a good thing to raise at the forum. 

But it has to be done with sincerity! And shouldn't appear to be an automated routine. Tricky. 

I have a boss who says thanks and goodbye at the end of meetings - but walks off before we reply - just going through the motions, but not really genuinely exchanging a greeting ...

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm normally gone as soon as final whistle goes. Stayed and applauded today. First time I've seen Cocu return the appreciation, hope it continues. 

Yeah same for me today and a lot of others as well that don't usually hang around , thought the fans were great today long may it continue.

8 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Anyone around the players entrance before and after the game ? Team bus was there. Did the players arrive or depart on it ?

I saw a vehicle with a 'Boozy Bus Tours' logo on the side...couldn't see who was on board though ?

10 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

I agree ... winning ... and exciting play are vital! 

But, what about if we're not winning games in style?

At the moment, beggars can’t be choosers.

Bit like the Billy Davies season, they seemed to have good team spirit and most of their wins were terrible 1 goal scraps. ??

For me it is trying to keep fans in the ground until final whistle.

I have put a post in the pinned thread about traffic management, this has to be the biggest reason people leave early.

Yesterday actually wasn't too bad, but i left as soon as the whistle blew and ran to my car parked in the redrow car park and there were already big queues of traffic. Somehow alleviating the issues would help, if, as is said, the players notice and hear what goes on in the stands then seeing droves of fans leaving early can hardly be a motivator.

13 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

After winning today, perhaps the team need to do another team bonding session on Tuesday evening!

Joking aside, apart from the feel-good factor of winning, what might be the best way to achieve the most effective and healthy team spirit?

People have talked of the Lampard culture. What would be the best approach under Cocu culture?

Can fans contribute to the team spirit - during matches and/or between matches - or is it entirely up to the coaches and players? Would it help if players were closer to the fans?

Should community trust participation be ramped up for all players, or only for those being disciplined? Is spending time with fans seen as a punishment?

Tennis doubles partners high five each other after every point, whether they win or lose it. Should we be loud and supportive however the match is going? Is that possible? It seems easier at away matches, but even then, it can be quieter sometimes. We certainly have a huge number of fans.

On the other hand, have some fans lost trust in players who were out drinking during mid-season, especially as we were 18th - although perhaps team bonding is more important when results have not been going our way!

Do the players need to do something to restore the trust of some of the fans, and would this give a boost to the way that the fans can contribute to team spirit?

I think Mel walking around the pitch with Phillip yesterday pre-match was a very astute move by Mel. Phillip is a naturally very reserved chap and I suspect it was Mel’s way of “breaking the ice” for Phillip and bringing him closer to the fans. I think it also set the tone of the atmosphere which was very positive from the start and hey presto we scored in 2 minutes. 

How do players improve the bond/restore trust?

Winning  helps. But what Lampard and players did last season was include fans in the victory celebrations. That creates a real bond. I don’t suspect Phillip will adopt that....but the players can. 

I also notice that Phillip thanked the fans at least 3x in his post-match yesterday...

So, the onus is on the players...out of the wreckage of this week, Curtis Davies has the opportunity to re-ignite the special bond that can make for a closer and more mutually beneficial relationship between team and fans. Regardless of the result on Wednesday at Barnsley, I expect players to spend some time post-match with the travelling fans, and maybe the odd shirt to be offered into the crowd. That would be a nice touch for starters.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

For me it is trying to keep fans in the ground until final whistle.

I have put a post in the pinned thread about traffic management, this has to be the biggest reason people leave early.

Yesterday actually wasn't too bad, but i left as soon as the whistle blew and ran to my car parked in the redrow car park and there were already big queues of traffic. Somehow alleviating the issues would help, if, as is said, the players notice and hear what goes on in the stands then seeing droves of fans leaving early can hardly be a motivator.

Paul, really interested to know why you need to rush off. Is it because you have a long way to go or because you don't like sitting in traffic? Have you a long way to go or do you have other commitments? 

I ask because we always stay behind a short while to clap players off field, home or away, then walk back to car, by which time the traffic has cleared. We were back in our local in Ripley at 5.50 PM.

We are always speculating about the busy lives other people lead that makes them rush off. We're just saddos that like to prolong the football experience as long as possible!

Sith Happens
On 29/09/2019 at 20:46, angieram said:

Paul, really interested to know why you need to rush off. Is it because you have a long way to go or because you don't like sitting in traffic? Have you a long way to go or do you have other commitments? 

I ask because we always stay behind a short while to clap players off field, home or away, then walk back to car, by which time the traffic has cleared. We were back in our local in Ripley at 5.50 PM.

We are always speculating about the busy lives other people lead that makes them rush off. We're just saddos that like to prolong the football experience as long as possible!

Well we always stay until final whistle. 

Before last season we didn't really rush out, used to park at Toys R Us and steady walk back, easy get out, was back in Kilburn for about 5.20pm most games.

A combination of the closure of that and the fireplace carpark has had a knock on effect, we now park the other side of the stadium, have tried a few places but often go in one of the places on the same street as David Lloyd, normally where RedRow is.

One of the reasons we park so close is last year my dad had an operation on his foot and at nearly 81 walking to car parks a long way off isnt really an option.

I keep looking for different places to park but havent got one yet that is as good a get away as the Toys R Us one.

The waiting in traffic is an issue for us, we had times last season where it was around 6.15 before we got home, it can vary of course. My dad did suggest this may be his last season as the journey home is a struggle. I don't want it to be, hence the reason i run like an idiot to try and get the car out and he can jump in at the junction, sometimes it works sometimes not.

On 28/09/2019 at 21:28, Ken Tram said:

I agree ... winning ... and exciting play are vital! 

But, what about if we're not winning games in style?

One game moved me a while back in the dark days of Pearson. 

I think we scraped a draw one damp evening. It wasn’t a great game in any sense, but I remember Alex Pearce walking round a rapidly emptying stadium. He went to every corner clapping the fans. There was a genuine thank you and a chest out head up “we’re down but we are not out, and thanks for sticking with us”

you need that from players 

Archived