Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I for one hope that they feature tomorrow, let them be held accountable for their actions in front of 25000 fans. They should also start to repay Cocu at the first available opportunity, tell them that earning the managers and fans respect starts now, he shouldn’t be punished by limiting his selection pool. 

I strongly disagree. Besides, they're probably both concussed.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

It’ll define him in the short term no doubt, and he’ll be duly punished and take full responsibility of his actions.

What will impress me when all punishment is spent, and what’s done is done..... is that he comes out of this a changed person willing to make amends for what has happened.

I think writing him off is hasty, if it defines him for the better, a lightbulb moment shall we say..... I’ll applaud the way he comes out of it.

Not writing him off, just don't want him to be able to do a half arsed apology and that's fine all well and good then.

Whatever Derbys decision is I'll get behind and turn up to the games, me personally that would be it for him at this club. I just can't be doing with people passionately defending him. His next actions should be his best defence. 

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I for one hope that they feature tomorrow, let them be held accountable for their actions in front of 25000 fans. They should also start to repay Cocu at the first available opportunity, tell them that earning the managers and fans respect starts now, he shouldn’t be punished by limiting his selection pool. 

I think as a club, that’ll be last thing it needs. 

Think throwing them to the public like this will not go down well.

I get the sentiment, but I don’t think it’ll be good all round for anyone 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm not white-knighting - I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion on this.

You're right, he's not a kid, but 23 is my know means old. The twenties are your formative years - I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure you will have/have had made some mistakes in your twenties.

Now your natural response to that is "yeah but I haven't done something as bad as this!" - and that's fine. That's good for you. But what if you had? Would you expect everyone around you to suddenly change their opinion of you as a person and as a character because of it?

I also think this "he could have killed someone" is a bit unfair because...he didn't. It was a reckless, dangerous and stupid thing to do - but we should be mindful of criticising him for the crime he did commit, rather than the crime he could have committed. 

Finally, your point: "At 23 and with all the resources and money available to him then yes this bad decision does define him."

I hope, in time, you change your mind on that last one. I would hate to think that anyone's bad decision in life completely defines them, be that Patrick from Chellaston or Mark from Chad (dependent of course on both the severity of the act in question and the number of people harmed/affected by said act).

Fully understand you have a radically different point of view on this but mine will never change. 

I'm 26 and yes if I committed a drink driving then I would expect people to be disgusted in me and see me very differently. It does define him, and his actions now will define how much he is sorry and the person he will become but this should quite rightly never be forgotten.

The fact he didn't kill someone was all down to circumstance, he chose to do something that put people's lives at risk including his own.

Whatever happens I will continue to support the team but my respect for him is gone.

3 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Not writing him off, just don't want him to be able to do a half arsed apology and that's fine all well and good then.

Whatever Derbys decision is I'll get behind and turn up to the games, me personally that would be it for him at this club. I just can't be doing with people passionately defending him. His next actions should be his best defence. 

Your last line here is what I’m saying, I’ve barely seen anyone passionately defend him, and actually a lot of condemnation.

For me no way will they or should be involved tomorrow,  the best thing for Lawrence & Bennett will be for them to sit out a few weeks whilst the dust settles and the legal stuff is sorted.  They should definitely be made to show remorse and undertake relevant courses etc 

Talk of sackings for me though is too far, I appreciate people are gonna be saying if any other person from a different walk of life or career did it then they would be sacked blah blah blah and I get that...…….But weather we like it or not Footballers are treated differently and they have value which from a business point of view cant be ignored.

In view of how many people on this forum think Bennett and Lawrence should never wear a Derby shirt again how can they possibly attend matches with Rooney , a convicted drunk driver, playing in the squad.  To do so smacks of hypocrisy in my opinion. I am still of the opinion that they serve whatever punishment they are given and then a line is drawn under all this provided they show remorse and learn from their actions.

Just watched Lampard in the Chelsea/Brighton presser. Obviously the press asked him about this incident and he was skilful in replying "Nothing to do with me and it would be wrong of me to comment"

By the way, this incident is more severe than the one which occurred in Blackpool in the late 1960's when some of the Chelsea team went out on the p.ss against Docherty's instructions. He sold most of the team in response.

1 minute ago, BrentW said:

Just watched Lampard in the Chelsea/Brighton presser. Obviously the press asked him about this incident and he was skilful in replying "Nothing to do with me and it would be wrong of me to comment"

And he’d be right 

14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Probably right, however given it was a “group” of players, do they all get the same punishment ?

Lawerence, imo gets undeserved abuse when playing, this incident for me has finished his Derby career as the boo boys have now got their excuse for him never putting on the shirt again, the longer he is on the sidelines will only fuel this hatred. The only way either of these are going to get back into favour with some of putting in some good performances and helping the club climb the league, even then it probably won’t be enough.

2 minutes ago, BrentW said:

Well he would be correct, nothing to do with him.

But what about Lawrence’s performances. Is his erratic form down to his personality ? A lack of dedication, respect . Has he always sold the club short and the fans ? If so does he actually deserve a second chance . There are a lot of footballers out there with the right attitude that would love a chance to play. 

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Probably right, however given it was a “group” of players, do they all get the same punishment ?

Lawerence, imo gets undeserved abuse when playing, this incident for me has finished his Derby career as the boo boys have now got their excuse for him never putting on the shirt again, the longer he is on the sidelines will only fuel this hatred. The only way either of these are going to get back into favour with some of putting in some good performances and helping the club climb the league, even then it probably won’t be enough.

I’m guessing the 2 arrested...... you’ll not see them at the very least until after any conviction has happened, and probably any punishment served (be it community service or worse).

What I will say, some people will never forgive, and that’s their own feeling. I know from my own life there’s one or two who’ll never forgive what I done etc. All you can do when you make a horrific mistake like this is try and make amends. Some it’ll never be good enough, unfortunately they’ll have to accept that, however hard they change for the better... it’s sad, and there’s one or two on here who’ll batter them forever now because of this. They could turn it right around and become more humble, caring and great guys who’ll do loads voluntary and for the community. Some people’s feelings won’t change.

33 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Agreed. It will be hard for any fan to forgive them until we’ve seen them in a club press interview expressing genuine remorse and details of how they intend to atone for their mistakes. Guess that won’t be till after the magistrates hearing

28 minutes ago, BrentW said:

By the way, this incident is more severe than the one which occurred in Blackpool in the late 1960's when some of the Chelsea team went out on the p.ss against Docherty's instructions. He sold most of the team in response.

Sounds familiar.!?! 

I think the sensible thing, really, is to come out and say they're both suspended whilst the court case is going on, pending the outcome. That gives them time to assess, and come up with a long term plan, whilst drawing a simple line under it for the next 2 and a half weeks. This then allows the rest of the squad to focus on the next few fixtures without having to think about it.

Archived