The Politics Thread 2019

Day

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

I have a Masters in Economics from Uni and later, a Masters also in Marketing via part time study.

As to why I don't try and impart knowledge, I don't know everything and even if I did, I would probably bore myself and everyone else, banging on about it.

I do know enough, however to be genuinely scared of the sort of spending plans being put forward in this election. Nowt to do with ideology here - I said a few days ago that I like most of what Labour are saying on workplace reforms etc but the sheer scale of their plans looks very much to me like a recipe for 10%+ inflation & resulting wage spiral. Plus of course the increase in debt and tax burden on small & medium business = Not good.

Well, since you're an economist I'll try posting this once again.

The Labour party received a boost on Tuesday when 163 economists signed a public letter offering broad support for its proposals for higher public investment to kick start growth and raise productivity. The letter published in the Financial Times lamented Britain’s poor economic performance of the past decade, called for “a serious injection of public investment” and said Britain would benefit from greater state involvement in national economic management.

Full article here - https://www.ft.com/content/d29b4cbe-0fa4-11ea-a225-db2f231cfeae

Should we assume they are all wrong?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The measure of Blowhard Johnson...

Andrew Neil has told Boris Johnson he is ready to interview him 'any time, any place and anywhere' as the Tories claim that 'discussions are on-going' over whether the prime minister will appear on the BBC before election day.

And as if the fop-haired coward wasn't looking impotent enough, we now have this...

Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage will be empty-chaired in tonight's climate change debate if they refuse to take part, Channel 4 has confirmed.

The Brexit Party leader has already said he will not attend, while Mr Johnson is understood to have asked to send a substitute. This was rejected by Channel 4, which is hosting the event.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson and Green Party co-leader Sian Berry have all confirmed that they will take part.

All major parties represented and Johnson happy to wheel his underlings out to face Andrew Neil, but himself quaking in his boots at the prospect of having to back-up his party's smearing of the opposition and his litany of election campaign lies. And this creature is the prime minister of the UK.

Seems clear that the only people he despises more than those not voting for him, are those that are.

I think the Tories have figured out that the less Boris speaks the better it is for their chances in the General Election. If he could say nothing between now and the election then that would be ideal for the Conservatives.  

That's the man that is about to have an overall majority in parliament, one whose opponents can't believe a word he says and whose supporters would prefer he said nothing at all. 

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The Labour party received a boost on Tuesday when 163 economists signed a public letter offering broad support for its proposals for higher public investment to kick start growth and raise productivity. The letter published in the Financial Times lamented Britain’s poor economic performance of the past decade, called for “a serious injection of public investment” and said Britain would benefit from greater state involvement in national economic management.

Full article here - https://www.ft.com/content/d29b4cbe-0fa4-11ea-a225-db2f231cfeae

Since the release of their big spending commitments, they have announced another two. To the Waspi women and to plant 2 billion trees. One will cost £60bn the other up to £200bn.

This current fringe of Labour is indefensible. They are completely economically illiterate. 

If Labour kept to it's promises, we end up crashing our economy. Because most taxes are paid by just a few tens of thousands of people. People who have and are making plans just in case of the slight possibility Labour, under this crop, get into power.

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Some economists thought it was a good idea for us to adopt the Euro. 

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think the Tories have figured out that the less Boris speaks the better it is for their chances in the General Election. If he could say nothing between now and the election then that would be ideal for the Conservatives.  

That's the man that is about to have an overall majority in parliament, one whose opponents can't believe a word he says and whose supporters would prefer he said nothing at all. 

Indeed, I think this has been clear for some time now. Boris is a blowhard buffoon whose own party don't trust enough for him to be allowed out unsupervised, yet we are expected to believe he is fit to run the country. Risible.

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Funny that. 

Seems Corbyn has pulled out of this 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1210288/general-election-latest-jeremy-corbyn-television-debate-news-labour-party-december-2019

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Indeed, I think this has been clear for some time now. Boris is a blowhard buffoon whose own party don't trust enough for him to be allowed out unsupervised, yet we are expected to believe he is fit to run the country. Risible.

Bloody hell you really are selective 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1210288/general-election-latest-jeremy-corbyn-television-debate-news-labour-party-december-2019

3 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

I live in the Derbyshire Dale's which for years has had a strong conservative majority but now that Patrick's gone we've got some barrister from London and that's all we know about her.  For as long as I have been  here the other candidates from other parties have not bothered with us- no leaflets, no meetings  nothing.  Up to now there has been no attempt from any  candidates to engage with us at all.  If I were ever to stand for election, and that's a non starter, I'd be out canvassing and as a new candidate I'd hold meetings etc. I don't trust, like or respect any party and haven't a clue who to vote for but like Wolfie I will be voting. It's very sad that so many people feel like this.

I think they have been out and about. I suppose it depends where you are. No one has knocked on my door but a mate of mine said the conservative candidate had knocked on his. I can remember when Mathew Parris stood down and McLoughlin came in there was a by election the Lib Dem’s or what they were called then pushed the result to a recount McLoughlin got in by 100 votes. At the next GE McLoughlin got in with about 10,000 vote swing. 

I’m not sure the Lib Dem’s are doing too well around here although they have pushed a leaflet through my letterbox. A bit of a waste of paper if you ask me.

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Since the release of their big spending commitments, they have announced another two. To the Waspi women and to plant 2 billion trees. One will cost £60bn the other up to £200bn.

This current fringe of Labour is indefensible. They are completely economically illiterate. 

If Labour kept to it's promises, we end up crashing our economy. Because most taxes are paid by just a few tens of thousands of people. People who have and are making plans just in case of the slight possibility Labour, under this crop, get into power.

2 Billion trees on brown sites .

Where will he put his 500,000 Council houses etc. 

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

2 billion trees? Where? Who is going to plant them all?

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Perhaps you should have read the article pal.

Sky sources confirmed they had been forced to cancel their three-way debate between Mr Johnson, Mr Corbyn and Jo Swinson, after Mr Johnson and Mr Corbyn refused to sign up.

Their joint refusal came following Mr Johnson’s insistence that he would not feature in a climate debate hosted by Channel 4, despite dire environmental warnings from the UN just hours before.

Never mind eh Curtains!  ?

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

2 Billion trees on brown sites .

Where will he put his 500,000 Council houses etc. 

Reports are this would cover a land area twice the size of Wales. People who aren't supportive of this Labour leadership need to cut their losses, either vote for another party, or not at all and then Labour can begin to re-establish itself.

24 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's behind a pay wall, so I couldn't & still can't read it.

Don't have time now anyway, those 250,000 trees a day that Labour has promised aren't going to plant themselves.....?

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I don't think you really grasp the premise and I really can't be arsed to explain it to you.

Condescending, and inaccurate. I was keeping it simple since I wanted to demonstrate that economists get forecasts and predictions wrong all the time. 

Archived