Sign in to follow this  
reveldevil

1st Car advice.

1 minute ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Get him Something with plenty of room in the back... nothing worse than trying to Squeeze into a tight hole with no room in the back... for your mates you’re giving a lift to obviously.

He's getting a car, not a role in 'Carry on Motoring'.

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Get him Something with plenty of room in the back... nothing worse than trying to Squeeze into a tight hole with no room in the back... for your mates you’re giving a lift to obviously.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

He's getting a car, not a role in 'Carry on Motoring'.

Sounds more like 'Confessions of a Learner Driver' tbh.

On 13/01/2019 at 15:22, ColonelBlimp said:

Honda Jazz? Fiat Punto?

Thought you were looking for your son?

Yes good point.

He's picked up an 11 plate Pug 207 vti, FSH with receipts and only 55k mileage.

I've picked up the bill.

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Yes good point.

He's picked up an 11 plate Pug 207 vti, FSH with receipts and only 55k mileage.

I've picked up the bill.

Get the timimg chain checked. and find an independant mech to do the work, as Pug dealerships are three times the price.

Well Hants Jnr was chirruping away about looking forward to buying his first "set of wheels".

My advice to him was to save up for a whole car as he will miss out on a lot of the pleasures of motoring if all he has are the wheels......😄

When I got my driving license ten years ago, the old 1.3 1988 Astra Merit Estate outside looked a lot more appealing that it did growing up. I had a quote in January 2009 of £3,500 and that was the cheapest. I decided to just leave driving for a bit.

I then inherited 1997 Corsa B and the best quote I could get was £810 in 2011. I took it and by the time I got rid in 2013 (after two years' no claims) the quote had come down to around £650. I also did quotes then on Focus TDCis and the quotes were coming at just over £500.

In terms of cars, I'd look for an old Focus 1.8 TDCi. I had one for 5 years and as long as the oil was changed regularly (I did every 6k) it was a reliable car and when I got rid my premium was £300-odd a year.