Sign in to follow this  
reveldevil

1st Car advice.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

What's the sort of thing my lad should be looking at as a first car?

Is it better to buy/rent a new small car for the cheaper insurance, or does it make more sense to buy an older car, pay more insurance but not care if it ends up knackered?

For example, he could buy a Honda Jazz 1.4 for £1250 and pay the same in insurance, or a Seat Mii new for £150 a month but insurance is £500 less.

Personally I'd go for the older car, thinking you're bound to get a few as scrapes as you're still learning, just looking for advice really.

So you’ve (we’ve) got his cheap accommodation sorted, his watch, and now his car.  Let us know when you want some advice breaking in his girlfriends won’t you.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

So you’ve (we’ve) got his cheap accommodation sorted, his watch, and now his car.  Let us know when you want some advice breaking in his girlfriends won’t you.

He's got more than enough sense to keep them well away.

Whether that's his neurotic mum, or his lecherous father I'm not sure?

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Well burton reckons he needs an old banger. Revel should be ok with that.

Buying a old Ford is all well and good but they not really built to survive a prang. Most won't have air bags either so it depends whether peace of mind trumps expense, really. Call me paranoid but I'd always rather pay the extra. Running costs are worth taking into account too. My lad's car has run for 18 months and all we've replaced is an alternator and two tyres. A 14 year old Ford might be setting you back a few more squid in failed parts than that. The insurance thing may be the stumbling block. My lad had been driving for 2 years with no claims so it really wasn't that excessive. His first car however, cost him over £1,200 to insure and it was a wreck. £2.5 K is bonkers but then young men and cars are a path fraught with danger. 

I would get a Ford fiesta or focus, with as much service history and parts recipts as you can possibly get.  Like it has been said, cars don't rot anymore, unless abused, and a car will quite happily run to 250k if driven and maintained correctly.  I would avoid Vauxhall Corsa, as the EMS is prone to letting in water and it's a grand to replace.

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I wanted to add him to my insurance, I've just had a renewal quote of £275.

This is admittedly the most expensive quote a comparasion site produced, but their wasn't much in it to the cheapest.Screenshot_20190107-123735.thumb.png.e20543d9dafb61d9bc0cd18cf7e32a29.png

The personal accident cover and the Motor legal protection looks a good price.😃

In my experience. I gave a car worth about £2000 to my step son. He has had it about a year and the car is now worth about £200 if I am lucky.

Never cleaned, scratches all over it. Inside is filthy. 

Almost had to drag him to the garage to top up his tyres as they were almost flat (after telling him to do it on a weekly basis)

I am not saying this will happen, but based on my experience, I would suggest an old banger for the first year or two until the insurance comes down.

Like you said, if an old cheap car gets bashed you can decide whether to fix it, If a new car gets a bash, then you will feel compelled to use your insurance.. 

Off to the auctions tomorrow to take a look at a Punto.

12 years old, a few dents and scratches and generally untidy looking, but only 8k on clock with a full annual service history, and MOT till December.

Even book price is only around £600, so hoping it's a bargain.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Off to the auctions tomorrow to take a look at a Punto.

12 years old, a few dents and scratches and generally untidy looking, but only 8k on clock with a full annual service history, and MOT till December.

Even book price is only around £600, so hoping it's a bargain.

sounds dodgy, why is it in such bad condition for 8k miles