Loan Return Planning

robglosta

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think we are very much trying to do that now by putting in place the kind of investment and focus in the academy that we are ,there is a clear path through now if you are good enough which is the key to recruiting the kind of quality potential that can break through

It was in the Nigel Clough days the academy really started to be taken more seriously, and since then we've had several players hanson - we actually got a small fee selling him) break through and become established (Hughes, Hendrick, Bogel) and several more in and around the squad (Bennett, Thomas, Lowe, ) and there's a few who might make it (Bird) at present - It's taken ten years, but we're just starting to get a pretty serious youth set up and as long as it keeps up we should see things continue to produce a few useful players and the odd really good one hopefully pretty regularly.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Why don't we try and propagate home grown talent via our academy rather than rely on loans from other clubs.

Now there's a novel idea. 

We have a few but it would seem that we decided that most weren't good enough:

callum guy, charles vernum, jamie hanson, stabana, zanzala, walker, farrend rawson, alban bunjaku, kwame thomas, emil riis jakobsen, cover, lelan, alefe santos.

I assume the jury is still out on babos, elsnik and co.

40 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Surely it must be unsettling for a team to have to integrate a new set of players every 6 or 12 months every time a new loanee appears or one goes back to their parent club, where's the continuity in that?

Of course you are right ,it’s not perfect but the truth is that it’s the way football is now so no point going on about it as if we are doing something different to what most clubs are having to do ?

I wouldn't be replacing Mount and Wilson with more loans next season if not promoted I think we have to give Bird and Sibley plus Duane Holmes the chance to fill the voids and concentrate our efforts on replacing our ageing centre backs.

On 31/12/2018 at 23:05, RadioactiveWaste said:

Small point, but the success of our loan players this season must surely count in our favour when looking at next season's loans?

Exactly this!

Nor do I think it’s necessarily a small point either: I have a feeling that getting talent from the Academy and being a sort of ‘finishing school’ for the big clubs’ starlets might be key planks of The Derby Way to be honest.

On 31/12/2018 at 01:31, Alpha said:

We even survived the loss of Hughes and Ince. We'd cope.

Two key words 'survive' and 'cope'. These are not terms not necessarily associated with success, which is long overdue at Pride Park. Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, europia said:

Two key words 'survive' and 'cope'. These are not terms not necessarily associated with success, which is long overdue at Pride Park. Just my opinion. 

That's the life of a club outside the elite though isn't it? Look at Southampton. Built, sold, built, sold. 

Archived