The “Curse” come early this season?

Boycie

6 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You've avoided responding to my "point" over several posts now. 

If I want to discuss something, I clearly need to do it elsewhere. 

As per. 

Ok, you want me to watch Leeds to see a team coming from behind showing a winning mentality right and forget about your fake stats.

Why wouldn’t I just watch Derby who have done this several times this season already? 

Bristol City we conceded first. Drew.

Sheff Wed we conceded first. Won.

Birmingham we conceded first. Won.

Norwich we conceded first. Drew.

Man Utd we conceded first. Drew.

Brentford we conceded first. Won.

Reading we conceded first. Won. Absolute scenes.

Or is there another point somewhere else.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Ok, you want me to watch Leeds to see a team coming from behind showing a winning mentality right and forget about your fake stats.

Why wouldn’t I just watch Derby who have done this several times this season already? 

Bristol City we conceded first. Drew.

Sheff Wed we conceded first. Won.

Birmingham we conceded first. Won.

Norwich we conceded first. Drew.

Man Utd we conceded first. Drew.

Brentford we conceded first. Won.

Reading we conceded first. Won. Absolute scenes.

Or is there another point somewhere else.

The annual conceding first Curse. 

@Lambchop i think you make some interesting points although your fascination with Leeds is starting to become a concern.

The thing is.....even though i'd never heard of him, Bielsa has so far proven himself to be an outstanding coach who has transformed Leeds. The point being that whats happening there is far removed from the norm.

Frank started from a very poor inheritance. Growett had trashed our midfield and recruited old men. Our record for the final 20 games after the cup exit at man u was pld 20 w6 d8 L6 - 26 points, average of 1.3 per game. We were really poor. The biggest blip in history. 

If frank slumps to 1.3 points over 20 games, then i will agree that he has achieved very little. But we are at 1.6 points per game. I reckon thats a reasonable improvement and its better to watch. The problem is the unrealistic expectation. If it wasn't for frank i think we'd be down with sheff wed and preston, competing for the nomination as best new duffers.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I must have missed Derby scoring two in injury time yesterday then  

I'm not saying we haven't shown resolve in certain games, we have, so we are clearly capable of it. 

Surely the point of the thread is that the winning mentality seems to have deserted us, and it's worth reflecting on why that might be. Either it's the CURSE or Frank is no longer getting certain things right. 

The comparison with Bielsa shows that you can't just blame injuries or the performance of individuals. That was my "point", that there are other factors at play which Frank needs to address; mental strength, belief, team spirit, whatever you want to call it. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If frank slumps to 1.3 points over 20 games, then i will agree that he has achieved very little. But we are at 1.6 points per game. I reckon thats a reasonable improvement and its better to watch. The problem is the unrealistic expectation. If it wasn't for frank i think we'd be down with sheff wed and preston, competing for the nomination as best new duffers.

Yes, I agree, and I had no real expectations at the start of the season other than adopting a more positive style and showing signs of moving in the right direction. This we have done in spades. 

I also expected it to be a learning curve for Frank, and for there to be mistakes and setbacks on the way. In that regard I am not wishing to criticise him or being negative about where we are. 

I admit I am fascinated by Bielsa and the methods and style he employs. These comments are just thinking aloud a comparison between what he and Frank are trying to do, really, although as I said at the start, the real comparison is between our better performances and what we have seen recently. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Surely the point of the thread is that the winning mentality seems to have deserted us, and it's worth reflecting on why that might be. Either it's the CURSE or Frank is no longer getting certain things right. 

Bang on the money.

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You wouldn't be winding me up to argue with @David, would you, by any chance?

That would be most irresponsible from a site admin, and would risk invoking the CURSE of Lambchop!

au contraire my fine cut of Lamb.

You’ve called out @David for his bullying tones towards me, (yet again) thank you for sticking up for me ??

Just now, Lambchop said:

If the curse doesn't get him, then the dodgy stats will...

His Twitter fanboys provide them for him.

Of course, he’ll deny it.

Anyway,

The Curse has been cancelled this year due to cost cutting and we’re about to blow the top two teams out the water.  

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

Our annual slump in form, I’m wondering if we are suffering a drop in performances now but will suddenly click into form in Jan like Fulham did and power into a strong finish.

It will certainly make a welcome change.

Lets hope so, I’ve talked mesen into it actually happening and feel a bit better now after our defeat to Sheffield United.

dustrecon?

I had very similar thoughts yesterday; our next 3 games are very tough but if we can get points out of these games and continue the form through, it'd be much better than starting a slump in Jan/Feb and just faltering til the end of the season.

I can see Waghorn being the Mitrovic-esque difference we need (if Lampard actually decides to play him) that got Fulham over the line but we badly need reinforcements in the middle of the park and defence in January

51 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Continuing the Leeds manager theme, maybe it's Don Revie's example we should be looking to, rather than Marcelo Bielsa. 

https://sabotagetimes.com/football/the-gypsy-curse-of-elland-road-that-haunted-a-leeds-united-legend

So to get the team winning, sprinkle a few seeds around the pitch.

alternatively just start cheating left, right and centre. It worked for Leeds.

I think the lack of good performances is what's worrying and knowing where be back of the net is unless it's a Wilson free-kick. Yes we have worries at the back but I also think the lack of productivity is a worry?? A strengthen in January is a must. Who would everyone like to see come in??

It is patently obvious that the 'curse' is located within the black shorts. It's Maxwell's Karmic Curse. It can only be broken by invoking the power of St Brian. Revert to our proper colours of navy blue and white and all our problems will be over. We'll get promoted and win the Premier League a year or two later. 

Simple. #FACT

Archived