Topical TALKING POINTS ;)

NottsRammy

I don’t think Lampard will have the don’t care less attitude that Brian had to the media.  But Lampard has grown up with pundits commenting on every little aspect.

Punditry started really in the mid to late 70’s didn’t it?

But I think he will have the same respect from his players that Brian did.

But you’re right, we should enjoy him while he’s here, I still have moments when I see Lampard in Derby gear and think “wtf?”

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/10/2018 at 05:13, ronnieronalde said:

I don't like these kind of threads because it usually results in Nige getting stick he doesn't really deserve.

Frank is doing a brilliant job, he's much more media friendly and has been incredibly popular within the game for a long time. His relationship with Chelsea, Man City and probably another half a dozen top flight managers is superb. He's just stopped playing, so his contact list is full. it's fresh and strong. He's also managing a club that is healthy, one that is pushing for the top flight and is a natural place for top clubs to send their young talent.

Nigel took over 10 years after his playing career had ended and he spent those ten years at non league level so naturally didn't have the top level contacts Frank clearly has. There was no way top flight clubs were sending loans to Burton Albion. He took over when Derby were in the poo and at that point going backwards rapidly.

Nige is a good manager, he'll likely not be recognised as anything better than steady, and there will always be those who just don't rate him at all, which I think is a bit unfortunate. There's an interesting podcast by Robbie savage with Will Hughes and Henry Winter, who are all very complimentary about Nigel. I was going to link it but probably no point. Peoples minds are well and truly made up and possibly the fact it comes from Robbie would act as a negative.

For what its worth I though Robbie Savage did a great job for Nige, I never understood the stick he got either. Not a world beater but a real leader and a real man on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Frank has come in and he looks to playing a really refreshing brand of football, he looks as if he trusts and possibly favours youth, which is also refreshing. I don't pay attention to his pre match and only listen to his post match if you're on TV, which is pretty much week in week out these days, but it's clear to me already that Frank has a REAL chance to go right to the very top of tree (sub quoting Peter Taylor there) he looks to have the entire package. He's bright, he's popular, he's still at that age where he has a real connection with the players and they clearly like what hes doing as well AND so far it looks like he wants to play a cracking brand of football.

I'm the last person in the world to say he's got a bit of BC about him. There's only ever going to be one Brian Clough BUT I could understand those who may be getting a little bit excited by what he;s done so far. Of course the squad Frank has inherited is helping. 

Nigel and Frank? No need to compare the two, favourably or unfavourably, totally different people, totally different circumstances and with Mel at the helm it's even a totally different club.

Enjoy him while he's here and keep your fingers crossed he carries on in the way he's started. It's all looking good.

It’s not a debate we want to open again really as it splits opinion wildly but for me I like and respect nige and think he is a good manager ,that said I don’t believe he will manage at a high level now and I believe a lot of that is down to the fact that I believe he just is not interested in the crap that comes along with football and players the higher up the money food chain you go ,I reckon he loves the game and gives more back to it than he takes from it ,,,, just my opinion

Christ on a bike what's going on here? There's so many parts of the post i could comment on but i'll stick with the one.

@NottsRammy You do realise Clough is the one who started playing Will Hughes and Lampard the one who signed Mount don't you? Clough also signed Martin who you don't like and Lampard has sent him out on loan...

You're contradicting yourself a tad on that point and the rest of it isn't worth answering.

On 28/10/2018 at 08:09, NottsRammy said:

1. Well what I would like to know is to all the Nigel Clough nay sayers please answer me this . I remember all of you saying he was crap as he had only managed burton and was in non league and we wouldn't have touched him if his surname wasn't clough loads were unhappy about him . Fast forward a few years and MOST ( if not all ) are all shouting about the charms of Frank ………..now correct me if I am wrong but has Frank even MANAGED before . It seems to me there are a lot of folk on here who pick up whatever cap they like to fit there head .

2. Ive never been a Will Hughes fan ( Mr tippy tappy sideways pass ) . Im going to say this MOUNT is everything that will hughes wishes he was . Now your finally seeing a proper midfielder thank god Hughes , Ince and Martin are gone how the hell are we doing so well without them god only Knows .

Puts his tin hat on ? .

Can understand why you don't post very often in 8 years of being a forum member if you  seriously believe your comments.

Will Hughes doing very well in the premiership and always looked a quality player for us, definitely has the ability continue to improve and was a great servant to the cub.

Ince was good for us an exciting player and more often than not did the business. Probably not good enough to make an impact on the prem, but was a good buy for us.

Cloughie i think was ,and is a good manager.Think his time with us he did a good job building a team with few funds and his arms tide behind his back by the owners.Not sure Any other manager could have done any better under the circumstances and most fans appreciate what he did for us.

Yes Mount is proving to be quality ,but a player we have only by good fortune.Doubt very much we could realistically ever afford to buy him or afford his wages in the future, so an unfair comparison to Hughes.

What's your attitude with Frank ? and irrespective of Peoples opinions of either manager Frank appears to be doing the business .

Why come on here spouting on about Nige ,when we've had half a dozen managers since? Do you think we would have Mount, Wilson and the likes in the squad if he was managing? Really don't understand the timing of logic of your post.

On 28/10/2018 at 08:34, NottsRammy said:

I let it go ages ago , I just have a wry smile at certain fans and what they think and when they think it . Some fans will be all over Frank being appointed ( and im one ) but were totally against Nigel quoting no real experience , I just find it laughable .

But I genuinely am interested who would folks have now Hughes or Mount and YES you can compare them .

The worrying thing is when were promoted we lose those players that are really adding the cream to a good base , they have to be replaced it wont be easy .

Thing is we had Hughes but sold him and we have only borrowed Mount.

Mount is lower mileage and may have more attacking potential but Will has exceptional vision and is stronger I think. . i’d Have either of them in the prem.  ... i’d Be overjoyed whichever it was. 

Sundays papers said a lot of nice things about Will. If there are add ons then we might be getting some soon. 

On 28/10/2018 at 08:09, NottsRammy said:

1. Well what I would like to know is to all the Nigel Clough nay sayers please answer me this . I remember all of you saying he was crap as he had only managed burton and was in non league and we wouldn't have touched him if his surname wasn't clough loads were unhappy about him . Fast forward a few years and MOST ( if not all ) are all shouting about the charms of Frank ………..now correct me if I am wrong but has Frank even MANAGED before . It seems to me there are a lot of folk on here who pick up whatever cap they like to fit there head .

2. Ive never been a Will Hughes fan ( Mr tippy tappy sideways pass ) . Im going to say this MOUNT is everything that will hughes wishes he was . Now your finally seeing a proper midfielder thank god Hughes , Ince and Martin are gone how the hell are we doing so well without them god only Knows .

Puts his tin hat on ? .

You an only child by any chance?

Archived