It's time to show confidence

jimbobram

57 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I'd argue that that's a premature assumption under the new management. I think last night Frank played his best 11. I think Fozzy and Malone remain somewhat interchangeable but there's no arguing that we look a different side with WIlson and Mount paired up and Tom Lawrence seems to be finding his stride too. Chuck in a rejuvenated Thud to pick the passes and I'd fancy that any team still looking to concede all the possession to us on the off-chance we'll not create openings might as easily find themselves being dismantled as securing a draw. Clearly you feel it's an issue that will persist but I'm confident it is not. Perhaps this is my happy-clapper nature overriding common sense but only time will tell. 

Obviously I hope you’re right and  I’m wrong but every time I’ve felt myself getting a little carried away this season after a big result I’ve been brought crashing down with performances against. Rotherham and Bolton. Middlesbrough, Brum and Villa to come, keep the big games coming!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Obviously I hope you’re right and  I’m wrong but every time I’ve felt myself getting a little carried away this season after a big result I’ve been brought crashing down with performances against. Rotherham and Bolton. Middlesbrough, Brum and Villa to come, keep the big games coming!

Mate I get that absolutely and in recent seasons we've flattered to deceive time and time again but there's an entirely different feel to this season both on and off the pitch. Allied to a really good side capable of playing the kind of fluid and attacking football that's rarely seen in this division, there's a steeliness and togetherness we've not seen in bloomin yonks! Don't forget too that this is a young side with a deal of scope for improvement. They can play better yet, believe me. That in itself is a pretty scary thought, but not for Derby fans, obviously! Yes, we've tough games ahead but were Sheffield and West Brom gimmes? Is any game in the division? I genuinely think it's one of the toughest leagues in the world to escape but this season I feel we have our best chance in years. I don't think you're 'wrong' in any case, I figure you're just concerned that you'll be let down. For what it's worth, I think you're in for a thrilling season where we will be bang there and I for one am determined to enjoy the ride! Hope you do too! ?

22 hours ago, Alpha said:

That's great if it stopped there but then people expect certain things all the time and wins need to be perfect, draws are disgusting and defeats are met with "No passion, not fit to wear the shirt" stuff. Start booing 0-0 draws.

It is a shame though. But it's true. That's why everyone and everything from that fun Mac 1 time was called a failure by so many. And why it was quickly forgotten where Mac picked us up from the 2nd time as people demanded the play offs. 

I don't think thats necessarily true. As fans, you can take your team losing, but its about the effort they put into that game. The way we are playing now, I cant see many 0-0 draws, we are finding the net now.

7 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I don't think thats necessarily true. As fans, you can take your team losing, but its about the effort they put into that game. The way we are playing now, I cant see many 0-0 draws, we are finding the net now.

Think what @Alpha is saying is that it's pretty depressing that so many can't conceive of a middle ground. We beat he Baggies, well be in Europe next year, lose 1-0 to Boro and we need a buckshot enema. Folk need to grasp that there'll be good days and bad and not be so precious when things don't go our way.

23 hours ago, cosmic said:

Please god, no. I like this humble, realistic atmosphere. Confidence breeds arrogance breeds entitlement. We’ve been there and it ain’t pretty.

Lets keep it classy like the gaffer. Just enjoy the ride. 

Exactement monsieur! I loved Rampard’s post-Baggies sobriety understatement...like a lover of organ music in a crowded church...he wanted to “wah-ooh” but he dared not. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Exactement monsieur! I loved Rampard’s post-Baggies sobriety understatement...like a lover of organ music in a crowded church...he wanted to “wah-ooh” but he dared not. 

Ha! Frank says, 'we were ok but I wasn't happy with .....', Frank means, 'Fook me, we roasted them tonight. Let's bounce mofos'. ?

18 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think what @Alpha is saying is that it's pretty depressing that so many can't conceive of a middle ground. We beat he Baggies, well be in Europe next year, lose 1-0 to Boro and we need a buckshot enema. Folk need to grasp that there'll be good days and bad and not be so precious when things don't go our way.

Agree. My OP was to get behind them, don't get on their backs. Trust in the process.

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Agree. My OP was to get behind them, don't get on their backs. Trust in the process.

Exactly. This is my 7th year of talking nonsense on this forum and this is the most unified I've ever seen us rabble. Might need to change my user name to 96 points ? *Disclaimer -  yes, 86 has been drinking

34 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's a fair cop guv. Bang to rights ?

Actually @86 points: I’m celebrating last night’s win tonight: I was all set to go to WBA but didn’t because mon pere took a turn...so listened instead. Great joy! I was so gutted that I didn’t go and yet today I’ve been ? ing because of all the great things...only football does this and when it does it’s fabulous. I don’t care if we lose @ Boro - the classic bus Parkers - I just love it when football wins and expression of art wins over cynical non-football. ?

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Actually @86 points: I’m celebrating last night’s win tonight: I was all set to go to WBA but didn’t because mon pere took a turn...so listened instead. Great joy! I was so gutted that I didn’t go and yet today I’ve been ? ing because of all the great things...only football does this and when it does it’s fabulous. I don’t care if we lose @ Boro - the classic bus Parkers - I just love it when football wins and expression of art wins over cynical non-football. ?

Same as, or same was, at least. Nights like that of the Baggies game warrant some 'extracurricular' and last night was the night. GF not terribly impressed but heyho, can't win them all, right? A lot of people sharing your opinion about the Boro game and given our recent results I can understand the willingness to view it as a bit of a free hit, so to speak. Being of a greedy disposition myself, I'm kind of hoping for another three points though I concede that with the extra day's rest and home advantage, Boro will be the bookmaker's pick. That said, if we beat Boro, I'll be straight back on it though I may well be single again by Sunday ? Whatever happens though, I'm proud of the lads and Frank and Jody too. Pride has been restored and the much hallowed 'Derby Way' has at last some resonance and meaning. I've said numerous times recently when our performances have been arguably sub-par, that we're only a tweak or two away from 'dismantling' a few teams in the division. Even in my wildest happy-clapper dreams, I did not however expect one of them to be West Brom. It'd be churlish to think the lads owe us anything right now, as you've said, but we can dream, right?

4 hours ago, 86 points said:

Same as, or same was, at least. Nights like that of the Baggies game warrant some 'extracurricular' and last night was the night. GF not terribly impressed but heyho, can't win them all, right? A lot of people sharing your opinion about the Boro game and given our recent results I can understand the willingness to view it as a bit of a free hit, so to speak. Being of a greedy disposition myself, I'm kind of hoping for another three points though I concede that with the extra day's rest and home advantage, Boro will be the bookmaker's pick. That said, if we beat Boro, I'll be straight back on it though I may well be single again by Sunday ? Whatever happens though, I'm proud of the lads and Frank and Jody too. Pride has been restored and the much hallowed 'Derby Way' has at last some resonance and meaning. I've said numerous times recently when our performances have been arguably sub-par, that we're only a tweak or two away from 'dismantling' a few teams in the division. Even in my wildest happy-clapper dreams, I did not however expect one of them to be West Brom. It'd be churlish to think the lads owe us anything right now, as you've said, but we can dream, right?

We are all ecstatic with our recent form and rightly so. I wouldn't be surprised however that if we dip a bit against Boro there will be critical voices springing up all over the place. This forum is definitely busier when we lose or draw. This season is shaping up nicely, we have Frank Lampard as our manager...….FRANK LAMPARD for goodness sake...……...We have a team of talented players serving up some luscious football and the sky's the limit. If we cant enjoy it now I don't know when we will.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We are all ecstatic with our recent form and rightly so. I wouldn't be surprised however that if we dip a bit against Boro there will be critical voices springing up all over the place. This forum is definitely busier when we lose or draw. This season is shaping up nicely, we have Frank Lampard as our manager...….FRANK LAMPARD for goodness sake...……...We have a team of talented players serving up some luscious football and the sky's the limit. If we cant enjoy it now I don't know when we will.

I know exactly where you're coming from bud but I sense there's a little more unity on the forum now than at any time I've seen. A lot actually. I've been posting since 2011 though I did read the forum for a while before posting and there's definitely been something of a seachange in recent weeks. I think it's the Frankie factor, that and that most fans genuinely don't mind the odd loss if we're playing good football which we most definitely are right now. In seasons past, where management has been under fire especially, folk were only too quick to climb out of their boxes when form dipped but this season has been mostly different. Interestingly, many on here have already expressed the view that Boro is a free hit and that's pretty damn unusual. Of course we'll have a few 'resident experts' pointing out the error of Frank's ways from the comfort of their armchairs no doubt, but it's been funny to read stuff posted in response to 'Our Season is Over' and 'Jack's stud' threads and also noticeable that many more folk are defending players like Tom Lawrence and generally being way more patient. I love that. I've always noted that like me, you tend to be very positive and avoid criticising the team or players unduly and that's great - sometimes I've felt under siege but this season I think the happy-clapper clan is growing in number daily. I love that too. We're all Derby at the end of the day and save for a few 'I told you so' idiots, we all want to see the club moving forward. Right now I think that's exactly what's happening. Long may it last. I really believe that this season will be one to remember and I've never felt that in my time on the forum, even in 2013/14. As for Boro, 2-0 to the Mighty Rams, not that I'm greedy! ?

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I know exactly where you're coming from bud but I sense there's a little more unity on the forum now than at any time I've seen. A lot actually. I've been posting since 2011 though I did read the forum for a while before posting and there's definitely been something of a seachange in recent weeks. I think it's the Frankie factor, that and that most fans genuinely don't mind the odd loss if we're playing good football which we most definitely are right now. In seasons past, where management has been under fire especially, folk were only too quick to climb out of their boxes when form dipped but this season has been mostly different. Interestingly, many on here have already expressed the view that Boro is a free hit and that's pretty damn unusual. Of course we'll have a few 'resident experts' pointing out the error of Frank's ways from the comfort of their armchairs no doubt, but it's been funny to read stuff posted in response to 'Our Season is Over' and 'Jack's stud' threads and also noticeable that many more folk are defending players like Tom Lawrence and generally being way more patient. I love that. I've always noted that like me, you tend to be very positive and avoid criticising the team or players unduly and that's great - sometimes I've felt under siege but this season I think the happy-clapper clan is growing in number daily. I love that too. We're all Derby at the end of the day and save for a few 'I told you so' idiots, we all want to see the club moving forward. Right now I think that's exactly what's happening. Long may it last. I really believe that this season will be one to remember and I've never felt that in my time on the forum, even in 2013/14. As for Boro, 2-0 to the Mighty Rams, not that I'm greedy! ?

Memories can be short in times of adversity mate.

Imagine if....in ekeing out a 0-0 tomorrow some of Tony's cloggers "sort out" Mason and Harry and give them a few weeks' rest each.

The positivity would just melt away in minutes, sadly.

Archived