Goals

Marriott     31

Mount        10

Bryson        9

Assists

Mount          12

Josefzoon    11

Wilson           11

Imagine if Marriott did get 31 goals ? What would he be worth then ? Young ! English and in the premier league ?. £30 million ?

Top Scorers

1 - Wilson - 14 goals

2 - Marriott - 11 goals

3 - Nugent 9 goals

Top Assists 

1 - Mount 13 assists

2 - Lawrence 6 assists

3 - Wilson 5 assists

Being careful with my optimism, from what I've seen of pre-season, never seen a player so hungry to score a goal like I have with Harry Wilson, that and his goal record at Hull.

I also think Nugent will get the nod ahead of Marriott in a lot of games this season, despite Marriott's potential to score more goals, I feel that Nugent will be used as a decoy to allow the wingers and midfielders to score goals. Marriott used more as a weapon.

Some of these predictions are outrageous, we’re going to be breaking all sorts of records!

To put it into perspective, Wolves, who amassed one short of a hundred points last season and were pretty much untouchable:

Jota 18 goals

Bonatini 12 goals

Cavaleiro 9 goals

Douglas 14 assists

Cavalerio 12 assists

Costa 6 assists

Those numbers would be conservative estimates for some on here!

2 hours ago, DownTheWing said:

Top Scorers

1 - Wilson - 14 goals

2 - Marriott - 11 goals

3 - Nugent 9 goals

Top Assists 

1 - Mount 13 assists

2 - Lawrence 6 assists

3 - Wilson 5 assists

Being careful with my optimism, from what I've seen of pre-season, never seen a player so hungry to score a goal like I have with Harry Wilson, that and his goal record at Hull.

I also think Nugent will get the nod ahead of Marriott in a lot of games this season, despite Marriott's potential to score more goals, I feel that Nugent will be used as a decoy to allow the wingers and midfielders to score goals. Marriott used more as a weapon.

So last season we scored 70 goals in a somewhat defensive R*wett team. You've predicted our top 3 scorers will get less than half that between them , I dare say we will score more than that this year I so where are the other 35 plus goals going to come from ? 

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

So last season we scored 70 goals in a somewhat defensive R*wett team. You've predicted our top 3 scorers will get less than half that between them , I dare say we will score more than that this year I so where are the other 35 plus goals going to come from ? 

Look at my above post. Wolves’ top 3 scored 39 between them, fewer than half of the team’s total of 82. Those 43 other goals came from somewhere.

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

You make a good point. But it's not a given that we score as many goals as last season. If we were to score more, that would more than likely equal top 4, something I don't believe we will achieve. It's also not a given that we will have another 20+ goal player this season. Perhaps I've been harsh on the goal return from my top 3? but it's likely that we'll see 5+ goals from the likes of Bryson, Jozefzoon, Lawrence, Jerome and dare I say Vydra & Johnson too.

54 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Look at my above post. Wolves’ top 3 scored 39 between them, fewer than half of the team’s total of 82. Those 43 other goals came from somewhere.

But wolves played a different system ! There wing backs were pretty much wingers ! That pretty much ginlves them a front 5/6 . I can't see our current full backs contributing more than 2 goals each . Didn't saiss and boly score a fair few between them too ? I was make Ng the point about our team , not Wolves .

38 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

But wolves played a different system ! There wing backs were pretty much wingers ! That pretty much ginlves them a front 5/6 . I can't see our current full backs contributing more than 2 goals each . Didn't saiss and boly score a fair few between them too ? I was make Ng the point about our team , not Wolves .

So is Wolves' system the only one in which it's acceptable or usual for the top 3 scorers to provide fewer than half of the goals? That was what @DownTheWing was pulled up for originally.

Let's look at other teams from 17/18:

Cardiff: Hoilett 11 goals, Paterson 10, Zohore 9. Total: 30, fewer than half of their total of 69. 39 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Fulham: Sessegnon 16 goals, Mitrovic 12, Johansen 8. Total: 38, fewer than half their total of 79. 41 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Aston Villa: Adomah 15 goals, Hourihane 11, Hogan 9. Total: 35, fewer than half their total of 72. 37 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Boro: Assombalonga 15 goals, Bamford 13, Ayala 7. Total 35, just over half their total of 67. 32 goals came from the rest of the squad.

And of the bottom 3:

Barnsley: Bradshaw 12 goals, McBurnie 9, Barnes 5. Total: 26, over half their total of 48. 22 goals from rest of team.

Burton: Dyer 8 goals, Akins 6, Naylor 4. Total 18, fewer than half their total of 38. 20 goals from rest of team.

Sunderland: Grabban 12 goals, Honeyman 7, McGeady 7. Total 26, exactly half their total of 52. 26 from rest of team.

In short, DownTheWing's predictions were not pessimistic or unrealistic in the slightest. It's standard for most of the league to see their top 3 scorers contribute fewer than half their total goals, and it's also standard for a top 6 side to see the rest of their team contribute 30-40 goals, regardless of playing style.

Also worth noting that we are the only top 6 side which saw single player contribute 20 goals for us alone. The average top sorer of the five teams above us scored 15 goals a season.

Anyone predicting above that for our top scorer is being very optimistic. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

So is Wolves' system the only one in which it's acceptable or usual for the top 3 scorers to provide fewer than half of the goals? That was what @DownTheWing was pulled up for originally.

Let's look at other teams from 17/18:

Cardiff: Hoilett 11 goals, Paterson 10, Zohore 9. Total: 30, fewer than half of their total of 69. 39 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Fulham: Sessegnon 16 goals, Mitrovic 12, Johansen 8. Total: 38, fewer than half their total of 79. 41 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Aston Villa: Adomah 15 goals, Hourihane 11, Hogan 9. Total: 35, fewer than half their total of 72. 37 goals came from the rest of the squad.

Boro: Assombalonga 15 goals, Bamford 13, Ayala 7. Total 35, just over half their total of 67. 32 goals came from the rest of the squad.

And of the bottom 3:

Barnsley: Bradshaw 12 goals, McBurnie 9, Barnes 5. Total: 26, over half their total of 48. 22 goals from rest of team.

Burton: Dyer 8 goals, Akins 6, Naylor 4. Total 18, fewer than half their total of 38. 20 goals from rest of team.

Sunderland: Grabban 12 goals, Honeyman 7, McGeady 7. Total 26, exactly half their total of 52. 26 from rest of team.

In short, DownTheWing's predictions were not pessimistic or unrealistic in the slightest. It's standard for most of the league to see their top 3 scorers contribute fewer than half their total goals, and it's also standard for a top 6 side to see the rest of their team contribute 30-40 goals, regardless of playing style.

Also worth noting that we are the only top 6 side which saw single player contribute 20 goals for us alone. The average top sorer of the five teams above us scored 15 goals a season.

Anyone predicting above that for our top scorer is being very optimistic. 

Got to give you a like simply for the research you've put in proving me wrong ?

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Got to give you a like simply for the research you've put in proving me wrong ?

It’s the school holiday, I’ve got 4 more weeks of proving people wrong and proving I’ve got too much time on my hands!

Archived