Julen Lopetegui appointed Real Madrid head coach

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

Chnaging manager on the Eve of a World Cup is a bit nuts if they are

I’ve done a bit of research and it appears that the original plan was for him to remain the manager of Spain till the end of the World Cup before announcing he will then become the new Madrid manager. He reportedly  told all the Real Madrid based players within the Spanish squad that he will be their next manager. However, a Barcelona player within the spain squad found out, some are saying Pique, and there is a belief that there would be a conflict of interest if he remains as the Spain manager as there would be a natural bias towards Real Madrid based players.

Stupid on his part for telling the Real Madrid players in the first place, he should have waited until after the World Cup.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure about your research, Lineker seems to think the players saved his job

I think he has been sacked. I think the players have stopped someone else being appointed. I'm a bit confused though.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think he has been sacked. I think the players have stopped someone else being appointed. I'm a bit confused though.

Press conference was postponed as well. All a bit weird.

I agree with the Spanish FA. Lopetegui should've been concentrating on the upcoming tournament rather than negotiating a deal with Real. At the very least he and Real should've been far more discrete about their intentions. It's incredibly grubby for Real, tapping up the national manager on the eve of the world cup, but who can honestly say they're surprised by this?

Archived