World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Neymar's not actually very good is he?

Not surprised he's always injured because he takes 4 minutes to get his head up to find a pass to a team mate, whilst attracting opponents to foul him.

He tries too hard. Think he reads his hype doesn't he? Probably thinks Brazil's group was made for him to look like a God

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VAR counters Neymars playstyle of diving and acting. He'll drop in value ten fold if VAR becomes commonplace. 

I absolutely loathe everything about this Brazilian team. They don't stop play acting and mouthing off at the ref. Can't wait for them to go home. Don't even deserve to be associated with the Brazilian teams of the past.

Some meaningless trivia.

Pep Guardiola managed in Spain and won La Liga in 2010 - Spain won the World Cup.

Pep managed in Germany and won the Bundesliga in 2014 - Germany won the World Cup.

Pep managed in England and won the PL in 2018 - England...

Been watching many videos from the Nigerian support and they are very confident of beating Iceland today, naming the random factor of their play as their main strength and their star players.  That they are confident suits us, but the heat today does not, 35c.  Neither manager is willing to discuss tactics before the game, but Nigerian former players speak of importance of early goal. 

One injury for Iceland, Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson pulled a calf muscle in the Argentina game.

Here is a very good tactical analysis of how Iceland play.  Hope the Nigerian manager didn't see it, it's too accurate

Áfram Ísland

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I absolutely loathe everything about this Brazilian team. They don't stop play acting and mouthing off at the ref. Can't wait for them to go home. Don't even deserve to be associated with the Brazilian teams of the past.

If you speak Spanish or Portuguese, that’s how you play football. They don’t know anything else, sad to see players with so much talent chuck themselves around.

4 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Has anyone noticed that the  bbc have adopted the great franny  lee  commentary..... just look at his face.... in their opening programme ditty...

shame on them, did they ask out permission ?

It was used in the opening credits for "They think its all over" which was a BBC show, so I suspect they have permission yes. 

Its also in the recent MOTD openings I think, but I might be misremembering.

1 hour ago, David said:

If you speak Spanish or Portuguese, that’s how you play football. They don’t know anything else, sad to see players with so much talent chuck themselves around.

It’s widespread. Arjen Robben was horrific with his diving at the last world cup, and let’s not make out England haven’t benefitted from a Michael Owen or Steven Gerrard swandive either.

But it’s part and parcel of the game unfortunately. 

You get comments like ‘Rugby players going down like that would be laughed at’ but Rugby players gain no advantage from going down clutching their face after a slight brush.

Until they really clamp down and hand out large punishments for doing it, it will always be a part of the game because your team can benefit greatly from it. The rewards of a penalty, or getting the opposition sent off, far outweighs the risk of at the very most seemingly picking up a yellow card and getting fans/pundits lamenting you for it. In Neymar’s case, do you think he gives a crap that Chris Waddle is berating him on the BBC - I bet he’s never even heard of him.

Archived