World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Possibly because most of our youth are more interested spouting rubbish on the internet?

Get with it..... it’s all about memes now 

Proud of the side. I’ve cared a hell of a lot more than I thought I would at the start of the tournament. On the plus side, at least the rest of the country knows what it’s like to support Derby now.

As for the negativity, all this “we haven’t played anybody of note” and bottled it ********, duck right off. If we got to the final or even won it some would find some way to knock the team. Who cares who you play? It’s the ducking World Cup. No matter who you beat, getting to the semi final is a brilliant effort and if your first instinct is to slate and criticise the side then just give up.

It really, really hurts. But I have no resentment to any player in this side. The last four weeks have been a pleasure.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

or even won it some would find some way to knock the team

Absolutely not. They would have been successful, and therefore impossible to criticise. Can't criticise a team that succeeds, this England team hasn't, therefore they are open to it. 

41 minutes ago, KCG said:

Yes, we sat back, tried the quick long ball all game ala Rowett (Rowett had to because of the players he had), we gave away possession, we didn't press.

We are 4-5 players short of a a team that can compete with the best. Lingard and Alli are not ball winning, match controlling midfield players.

Rowett didn't have to,he chose to, but that's for another part of the forum.

We are short of some crucial elements in the England squad however,esp in midfield.

Just now, Andicis said:

Absolutely not. They would have been successful, and therefore impossible to criticise. Can't criticise a team that succeeds, this England team hasn't, therefore they are open to it. 

We’ve already had comments about our run to this stage. Croatia aren’t a traditionally big side in football, so they’d be added to the list of an “easy run”.

There are different kinds of success. If you offered the nation the World Cup we’ve had, I expect the vast majority would take it. I would have.

It’s a missed opportunity and on another day we perhaps could’ve done better. But I’m not slating the side of Southgate one bit. Of all the let downs & early exits from our “golden generation”, this squad has brought a feel good factor and a unity that we haven’t experienced for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

International football has very fine margins that I would agree. Stones could have scored but for the player on the line and England could be the ones in the final. Equally, England could have easily went crashing out against Colombia who were leading on penalties and we’d all be saying same old England. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

We’ve already had comments about our run to this stage. Croatia aren’t a traditionally big side in football, so they’d be added to the list of an “easy run”.

There are different kinds of success. If you offered the nation the World Cup we’ve had, I expect the vast majority would take it. I would have.

It’s a missed opportunity and on another day we perhaps could’ve done better. But I’m not slating the side of Southgate one bit. Of all the let downs & early exits from our “golden generation”, this squad has brought a feel good factor and a unity that we haven’t experienced for a long time.

My point is, nobody would criticise them if they won. Not one person. It's completely false. Yet losing to Croatia, who are a nothing side, leaves them open and deserving of criticism. The England players just had to hold their nerve, but they couldn't do that.

I’ve always been a reader and not a commentator on the forum but I am very proud of our team - they have surpassed all expectations and yet some still see it as an opportunity to ridicule the effort, professionalism and team spirit of this group of players. We lost but we tried!

Credit for what? Losing? Can't give credit for a team that isn't successful, no. 

What is success though? Why does a good World Cup have to result in winning the thing? It would be amazing but there’s not one single way to be successful.

On that basis, Derby have had two successful seasons in their entire history. It’s even worse than I thought.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

International football has very fine margins that I would agree. Stones could have scored but for the player on the line and England could be the ones in the final. Equally, England could have easily went crashing out against Colombia who were leading on penalties and we’d all be saying same old England. 

I agree with that of it being of fine margins, but Walker making basic defensive errors means that you never have a chance to win. Sure, we beat Colombia by fine margins, that was good, but now it's irrelevant, because we lost to Croatia. Every game up to now no longer matters, because the critical game, we pissed it away.

Credit for what? Losing? Can't give credit for a team that isn't successful, no. 

Credit for reaching the semi finals. Credit for bringing praise from others to our country. Credit for lifting the national mood. Credit for doing things with good grace and dignity.

Just now, Kernow said:

What is success though? Why does a good World Cup have to result in winning the thing? It would be amazing but there’s not one single way to be successful.

On that basis, Derby have had two successful seasons in their entire history. It’s even worse than I thought.

Because you gain absolutely nothing from winning. 

And that's false. Derby can be successful by gaining promotion, winning the Championship, doing well in cups, qualifying for Europe etc. Don't compare club and Country football, but it's incomparable. We gain absolutely nothing from losing in semis, other than the odd person claiming it is okay, because at least we didn't go out in groups like last time, as if that's an achievement. 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Credit for reaching the semi finals. Credit for bringing praise from others to our country. Credit for lifting the national mood. Credit for doing things with good grace and dignity.

Credit for losing an easily winnable game. Credit for wasting a great opportunity for a final. Credit for throwing away a 1-0 lead. Credit for going out, but at least we have a smiley manager right? 

Archived