Wage Bill

DCFC1388

Not sure if anyone else has started a thread on the current wage bill. So on the last set of figures it was 35m for the year.

Does anyone know what sort of figure we're hoping to reduce this to? With Baird, Shackell & Bent now gone thats going to be at least 3m off the annual wage, add to that the likelihood of Martin going then we should be pushing close to 5m off the wages already without any effect to the current first team squad.

With a lot of other high earners on the fringe of things like Butterfield, Bryson & Blackman will we really need to sell someone like Vydra? 

Morris said no significant funds available which to me suggests there are funds there we just need to get the wage bill down. Say we sold Bryson for 500k on 30k then replaced him with someone for 500k on 15k, would this still work within the wage reduction remit or have I got this all wrong?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Not sure if anyone else has started a thread on the current wage bill. So on the last set of figures it was 35m for the year.

Does anyone know what sort of figure we're hoping to reduce this to? With Baird, Shackell & Bent now gone thats going to be at least 3m off the annual wage, add to that the likelihood of Martin going then we should be pushing close to 5m off the wages already without any effect to the current first team squad.

With a lot of other high earners on the fringe of things like Butterfield, Bryson & Blackman will we really need to sell someone like Vydra? 

Morris said no significant funds available which to me suggests there are funds there we just need to get the wage bill down. Say we sold Bryson for 500k on 30k then replaced him with someone for 500k on 15k, would this still work within the wage reduction remit or have I got this all wrong?

I reckon we'd have to reduce wages by a very minimum of £5m net from 16/17 levels. Your last scenario would count as a net reduction. We seem to have a lot of players that some members think may be on £30k a week !

4 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I reckon we'd have to reduce wages by a very minimum of £5m net from 16/17 levels. Your last scenario would count as a net reduction. We seem to have a lot of players that some members think may be on £30k a week !

Just a figure i picked for the example but Bryson & Martin both got new improved deals to persuade them to stay so cant see them being any lower than 25k, would think the likes of Keogh Johnson Butterfield are in a similar sort of wage bracket to them 2 as well.

When you say 5m id personally think we may need to reduce it by more than that. Id have thought Baird Shackell & Bent will have done over 3m.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Just a figure i picked for the example but Bryson & Martin both got new improved deals to persuade them to stay so cant see them being any lower than 25k, would think the likes of Keogh Johnson Butterfield are in a similar sort of wage bracket to them 2 as well.

When you say 5m id personally think we may need to reduce it by more than that. Id have thought Baird Shackell & Bent will have done over 3m.

I did say a very minimum, and I'd reckon we'd probably want to come down a couple of million more. Looking at the 16/17 accounts, and stripping out the net profit on transfers, we look to be c£5m of net cost reductions short of producing a bare minimum requirement of complying with the maximum annual FFP 'allowance', and I reckon we'd prefer to get into the 'comfort zone' of about £11m to give some wriggle room.

In 14/15, 15/16 and 16/17 we pulled rabbits out of the hat to keep us below annual allowances. Unfortunately, there appears to have been an outbreak of myxomatosis and there may be only one 'healthy' rabbit left.

I think this will be a consolidation season in terms of signings and league position. Then again I thought that of last season.

We will release so many at the end of the upcoming season that Mel will be tempted to throw some money at some hopefully decent signings.

1 hour ago, sage said:

We will release so many at the end of the upcoming season that Mel will be tempted to throw some money at some hopefully decent signings.

Don't be silly we love to hoard players. New contracts for all !!!

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

No way do we have that many on £30kpw.

Doesn't leave much for coaching staff in that £35m!

Wages for players are published in America. Johnny Russell is now on $13,452pw (£10k ish)  and apparently took a pay cut to leave us. I'm not sure how relevant that is but maybe an indication that our average first teamers are maybe on c£15k per week? 

19 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

No way do we have that many on £30kpw.

Doesn't leave much for coaching staff in that £35m!

Not forgetting all the Academy staff and all of the admin/commercial/catering/ ground staff etc.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Wages for players are published in America. Johnny Russell is now on $13,452pw (£10k ish)  and apparently took a pay cut to leave us. I'm not sure how relevant that is but maybe an indication that our average first teamers are maybe on c£15k per week? 

The price of football guy on twitter shared this the other day. Says our average weekly wage was close to £20k! With players like Roos, Mitchel and Hanson in the first team we must be paying some players well far north of £20k.

D49E421B-15DD-4875-A5F7-92072EA4A019.jpeg

2 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The price of football guy on twitter shared this the other day. Says our average weekly wage was close to £20k! With players like Roos, Mitchel and Hanson in the first team we must be paying some players well far north of £20k.

D49E421B-15DD-4875-A5F7-92072EA4A019.jpeg

How does he know what the total wages of non playing staff are? I don't.

Archived