Jamie Hanson

EnigmaRam

If he turns out to be a young version of Eustace then it'll be a steal. 

He's a defensive midfielder, he doesn't have to be as flash as Hughes/Hendrick. He's there to break up play and keep the ball moving which is he capable of doing. 

If we'd signed a 22 year old midfielder from league 1 or 2 with his attributes some of those moaning about this would be spunking in their pants. 

Best case scenario he makes it and saves us a couple of million on a young league one player, worst case scenario is he doesn't and we release him in 2 years having paid minimal wages for someone happy to bide his time trying to break into the first team. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for retaining him - every squad needs guys like Hanson who are committed to the club and accept the fact they won't necessarily be a regular in the starting 11. He'll also be on very modest wages compared to most of his contemporaries.  

At the end of the day, even the very top teams have a few lesser lights around the squad who get on with their jobs quietly, don't moan and plug gaps where needed.  John O'Shea in his Man Utd days is a great example.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

If he turns out to be a young version of Eustace then it'll be a steal. 

He's a defensive midfielder, he doesn't have to be as flash as Hughes/Hendrick. He's there to break up play and keep the ball moving which is he capable of doing. 

If we'd signed a 22 year old midfielder from league 1 or 2 with his attributes some of those moaning about this would be spunking in their pants. 

Best case scenario he makes it and saves us a couple of million on a young league one player, worst case scenario is he doesn't and we release him in 2 years having paid minimal wages for someone happy to bide his time trying to break into the first team. 

Fair point, if he's not on silly wages, we should perhaps wait to see how it pans out.

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And you're kidding yourself if you think Hanson will be half as good as any of those.

I didn’t say he would be (he has less time to develop now) - I was making the point that the players mentioned were not world beaters after 50 senior appearances - just they were dropped in the deep end much earlier due to necessity. We haven’t had that necessity in recent years - hence young player development suffering.

2 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

We haven’t had that necessity in recent years - hence young player development suffering.

Who has missed out on developing? Weren't Hughes, etc playing international age group football? Who do we have doing that? Babos, and the young fullback?

Well Hughes and Huddlestone both became regulars at 16. Playing men’s football at that age means you have to learn fast (or go by the way side.

We haven’t had any 16 year olds playing in the last 5 years, and only really this year has anyone gone out on loan - so none of our youngsters have benefitted from that exposure.

Just now, Igorwasking said:

We haven’t had any 16 year olds playing in the last 5 years, and only really this year has anyone gone out on loan - so none of our youngsters have benefitted from that exposure.

I edited another bit in. Who do we have recognised at international level?

A fair few of them to be honest - but don’t ask me to name them - I don’t follow the youngsters that closely. But I do recall a good number of them have had youth call ups.

Can anyone a bit more clued up than me confirm the number of international reps we have got in the youth ranks please?

Archived