David Nugent

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

Nugent is good still and has played at a higher level better than Martin. But to say Martin is a one-trick pony is a thick comment and shows the level Rowett has got some people to. With your memory in gear , you might remember that as well as Martin's goals, his lay-offs , his free kicks ( when given the chance ) and his defending at corners, and something we really lack now, holding the ball and not giving it away.. Such things count for nowt with Rowett who favours headless chicken runners like Weimann.

Ok I confess to the Martin bit as being deliberately provocative. He is a damn good player just not the god some think he is and he isn't as all round and adaptable as Nugent is.  Add to that he isn't available. 

I have to say the other night Jerome was being fouled a lot and got a lot less from the ref than Martin would have but that doesn't alter my belief that Nuge needs to be 1st choice striker and would be mine before Martin, Jerome or even Vydra because both Lawrence and Palmer could fit in to Vydras role in the system we have. ... That is taking nothing away from Vydra who is also a first choice in a striking pair. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

i would like to see palmer up front instead of nugent or jeromy,he's our sharpest tool and could cause defenders problems,what has rowett got to lose? 

Me too. Wouldn’t want Vydra going striker as he is our best player where he is. I would give Palmer a go or even Weimann. Neither ideal but both miles better than Jerome 

I really thought Jerome would be a decent signing for us, but I'd envisaged a hard-running, combative 9 who'd bustle up oppo centre-halves. Shows how much I know, I guess. That said, I just can't see how Martin would prosper under the current set-up, as good a player as he is. I'd still have him back in a heartbeat, mind! To my way of thinking, the bigger loss is Winnall given Dave seems so woefully out of form. 

Ooo I’ve been waiting for this thread but I don’t have the time to go into detail as it’s Easter Sunday pub time. 

Essentially the Vydra/Nugent partnership was never as good as people made out. It only helped Vydra have someone doing the work for him and now we’ve knackered out Nugent, cropped Winnall and put all our eggs in a Jerome like basket. There I said it. Enjoy your Sunday

29 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Ooo I’ve been waiting for this thread but I don’t have the time to go into detail as it’s Easter Sunday pub time. 

Essentially the Vydra/Nugent partnership was never as good as people made out. It only helped Vydra have someone doing the work for him and now we’ve knackered out Nugent, cropped Winnall and put all our eggs in a Jerome like basket. There I said it. Enjoy your Sunday

Very seasonal! I agree. Enjoy your day.

48 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I confess that I thought Jerome would be that bustling powerful no9 and perhaps it is too early to be sure that he can't, but I do wonder why we didn't see more of Martin and Vydra - I think there are 2 reasons for this.

1) He lacks pace and a certain willingness -  which Gary just doesn't like in a front man. 

2) Martin was not happy being second fiddle 

pity really because although I am a 100% Nugent advocate I would like to have seen Martin and  Vydra have a run of games. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I confess that I thought Jerome would be that bustling powerful no9 and perhaps it is too early to be sure that he can't, but I do wonder why we didn't see more of Martin and Vydra - I think there are 2 reasons for this.

1) He lacks pace and a certain willingness -  which Gary just doesn't like in a front man. 

2) Martin was not happy being second fiddle 

pity really because although I am a 100% Nugent advocate I would like to have seen Martin and  Vydra have a run of games. 

I never saw any evidence of either of these during this season. He came on and worked hard whenever called on, and was also the first to praise others when doing well - one particular example with Nugent post-match springs to mind. He also played a reasonable part in winning or holding onto winning positions in matches over the first half of the season, something that a lot of our fans seem not to acknowledge.

I accept that Martin is not a Rowett player and I get that he is not the type of player that a fair proportion of our fans don't warm to either, but I don't like to see speculation about how he felt because unless you have heard him say this, I have seen no evidence anywhere to suggest it is true. 

Can't argue about the pace, though, but I do think we miss his intelligent play.

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

I never saw any evidence of either of these during this season. He came on and worked hard whenever called on, and was also the first to praise others when doing well - one particular example with Nugent post-match springs to mind. He also played a reasonable part in winning or holding onto winning positions in matches over the first half of the season, something that a lot of our fans seem not to acknowledge.

I accept that Martin is not a Rowett player and I get that he is not the type of player that a fair proportion of our fans don't warm to either, but I don't like to see speculation about how he felt because unless you have heard him say this, I have seen no evidence anywhere to suggest it is true. 

Can't argue about the pace, though, but I do think we miss his intelligent play.

For years we've complained about having no plan B, and finally with Martin, Nugent and Winnall we have that. Then Rowett decides to get rid of Martin for Jerome, who is a poor mans Conor Sammon and an even poorer mans David Nugent. Then Winnall gets injured. 

Lo-and-behold, we are back in the postion we didn't want to be in, with no plan B. 

Rowett's clucked it up.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:19, loweman2 said:

Nugent was the man who made the difference and got us playing as a team ! For his age his off the ball running was phenomenal and always gave an option ! Without him on the pitch we have gone back to a stationary target man who with our inept passing ability never ever received the ball ! 

Yes nuge is knackered but he has also lost that spark and enthusiasm! The players look as if they do not get on anymore ! 

They need a good kick up the backside 

Tend to agree. Always a bit if a risk buying a hard running much travelled striker at the end of the career, at some point a club ends up with a player who's legs are going and the goals dry up. So that's where we are with Nugent. 

Like many situations in life, people seem to get on OK when things are on the up. The display against Sunderland indicates that these players are no longer a team, just a group of individuals desperate for the season (and the torture) to be over.  

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I can't argue with that Angie. In fact when Martin was being used for little cameos I thought he showed a lot of desire when he came on and not a hint of the mardyness that some say he has. .. 

I can't help feeling that Gary was on a mission to put a bit of his personality on a side, make his mark or whatever...and CM just didn't fit. As it happened, and as the results went, he was right - at the time,  but the Vydra Martin as an option was never given a fair chance which was a pity. .. Doesn't alter my opinion as a huge Nuge fan boy though. 

Archived