What’s REALLY missing, PASSION or ABILITY ?

Ram8

Nearly everyone’s after match opinion (and particularly Gary Rowett’s) on Radio Derby seemed to be :- “We didn’t display enough passion or effort”, and GR added the observation that “We have the ability” ..

Sorry to contradict you Gary, but the problem tonight was not a lack of passion, effort, or even leadership .. it was, not for the first time under your management, AN ABSOLUTELY TOTAL LACK OF ABILITY, SKILL AND FLAIR, absent with the suspension of Tom Huddlestone, and your total inability to appreciate the contribution of the players you have sold, loaned out or ignored .. Hughes, Martin, Bryson, Elsnick, and numerous Academy players that you refuse to utilise .. preferring instead such as your January signing Cameron Jerome, the No. 9 who posed NO THREAT WHATSOEVER tonight, and indeed in all his time on the pitch since signing !

And all you Rowett cheerleaders can accuse me of “singing the same old song” again, but when the ‘writing has been on the wall’ even during the time we were winning and papering over the inevitable cracks, then no amount of denial and ‘manager knows best’ posting will change the fact that the manager’s tactics and judgement of a player’s ability is seriously lacking, and will only lead us down a blind alley, and not to the promised land of the Premiership ..

And where was the manager (with his PASSION on the touch line) for the last desperate 20 minutes or so ? Hiding in the dugout ! 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First 10 minutes probably the best we’ve started a game in a long while, when Forsyth knocked one in that was it, heads down, defeated. Tonight wasn’t down to a lack of skill or flair, we’ve seen games like this with your Hughes, Bryson and Martin’s before. This time last year away at Brighton 3-0, woeful display there, or Reading 3-0 again last game of the season that cost us a play off place.

As Bramcote said, it’s bottle, guts and for a lack of a better phrase, manning up, showing a bit of character out there on the pitch with a desire to win a game of football.

Sunderland were never going to be pushovers tonight, they are battling for their lives down there, we should have been equal to that to secure a top 6 place. We wasn’t and until we are ready for these battles when it matters, we won’t be going up anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Nearly everyone’s after match opinion (and particularly Gary Rowett’s) on Radio Derby seemed to be :- “We didn’t display enough passion or effort”, and GR added the observation that “We have the ability” ..

Sorry to contradict you Gary, but the problem tonight was not a lack of passion, effort, or even leadership .. it was, not for the first time under your management, AN ABSOLUTELY TOTAL LACK OF ABILITY, SKILL AND FLAIR, absent with the suspension of Tom Huddlestone, and your total inability to appreciate the contribution of the players you have sold, loaned out or ignored .. Hughes, Martin, Bryson, Elsnick, and numerous Academy players that you refuse to utilise .. preferring instead such as your January signing Cameron Jerome, the No. 9 who posed NO THREAT WHATSOEVER tonight, and indeed in all his time on the pitch since signing !

And all you Rowett cheerleaders can accuse me of “singing the same old song” again, but when the ‘writing has been on the wall’ even during the time we were winning and papering over the inevitable cracks, then no amount of denial and ‘manager knows best’ posting will change the fact that the manager’s tactics and judgement of a player’s ability is seriously lacking, and will only lead us down a blind alley, and not to the promised land of the Premiership ..

And where was the manager (with his PASSION on the touch line) for the last desperate 20 minutes or so ? Hiding in the dugout ! 

A great post. Energy , headless-chicken running are the hallmarks of a Rowett performance. Last night which of the forwards was able to receive the ball and deliver it effectively to another Derby players. Comparing Jerome to Martin sums up what Rowett has done to the team.

5 hours ago, David said:

First 10 minutes probably the best we’ve started a game in a long while, when Forsyth knocked one in that was it, heads down, defeated. Tonight wasn’t down to a lack of skill or flair, we’ve seen games like this with your Hughes, Bryson and Martin’s before. This time last year away at Brighton 3-0, woeful display there, or Reading 3-0 again last game of the season that cost us a play off place.

As Bramcote said, it’s bottle, guts and for a lack of a better phrase, manning up, showing a bit of character out there on the pitch with a desire to win a game of football.

Sunderland were never going to be pushovers tonight, they are battling for their lives down there, we should have been equal to that to secure a top 6 place. We wasn’t and until we are ready for these battles when it matters, we won’t be going up anytime soon.

In those 10 minutes how many chances did we create?

Weimann, Jerome, Johnson, Forsyth, Lawrence were not lacking guts but QUALITY

9 minutes ago, DRBee said:

A great post. Energy , headless-chicken running are the hallmarks of a Rowett performance. Last night which of the forwards was able to receive the ball and deliver it effectively to another Derby players. Comparing Jerome to Martin sums up what Rowett has done to the team.

Jerome has no touch whatsoever - seen better 14 year olds on Bakewell Rec. So if he can't hold it up what does he offer? Also he doesn't look fit , pace? - looks overweight? And I have to question the Rams team fitness tonight - not seen a really fit Derby team for sometime. Jerome  just let Kone bully him all game - and I am afraid that what was thought to be the "over the line" signing is a complete flop

I am not sure what has happened to Thorne and Fozzy - I can admit that injuries can take their toll - but lack of skill - you don't lose that - Thorne cant pass anymore!! Fozzy just looks inept.

Lots of thinking to do - in my mind. - being in the top 6 after not winning in 8 is a complete embarrassment to the league

I don't want to fall into the playoffs and play like that

I would change the team for Monday - maybe blood 2 u23s in the squad

I would drop Lawrence (Palmer) and Jerome (Nugent) and bring back Wisdom  - make Baird on the left (drop Fozzy)

I don't really understand what Casey has to do to start - he's a flipping Chelsea player godammit - and has more skill than the rest put together. Start him

It’s a mix of not enough ability and plain and simple some key players who wilt when the pressure is on ,, ive defended Keogh and in the main he is a good player but it’s there to see when the chips are down pathetic unforced mistakes that cost the team ,, fozzy the same , George Thorne is a player we have overrated as fans and is dire since comming back from injury ,, man of the match wieman ? It’s fair to say he’s been one of the better players which is worrying as he has no end product and makes jr look like pele and given that we’ve needed to upgrade jr for a while that’s a worry ,

whilst I think rowett has made some mistakes and takes some blame this **** has been going on for too long under too many managers to all be laid at his door our fans favs that have been moved on have done exactly the same in exactly the same situations ,

what now?   Forget play offs because we are nowhere near good enough or strong enough mentally to do any good in them if we manage to stay top 6 , I don’t pretend to know the answer ,, if only it were as simple as sacking the manager but it isn’t 

A mixture of both. They think they are better than they are so they believe they don’t have to try as hard. It’s not a managerial thing as such. No wonder Pearson hated this lot. I believe that before Hendrick left, he allegedly stated that the Derby changing room is poisonous.

We seem to be a far cry from Ted McMinn:(

Do they just 'expect' to go up? If DCFC doesn't get promoted, are they expecting (or have they been told by their agents) that lower half Prem teams will come in for them?

I would rather have 11 cart horses that charge about with passion than 'can't be bothered.'

As somebody said earlier, last night was a 'banker' - a must win. We have absolutely no momentum now.

I do wonder whether we use sports psychologists under the current regime.  I suspect not, which can go some way to explaining how they wilt so badly under a little pressure.  Players with the ability of Thorne don't lose that.  They may lose their speed and possibly some strength, but not the ability to pass.  Maybe the hostility aimed at them by the 'fans', coupled with a fragile attitude is contributing to our problems.  And before anyone jumps on this, I agree that the players have a responsibility to give us something to get enthused about, but when the pressure is on, the atmosphere goes south very quickly.

Even as I type this though, I can't help but think it goes deeper than that, but where, what and why, who the hell knows.  I just think that Rowett needs the summer to sort it out before any thoughts of changing again.  

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

Comparing Jerome to Martin sums up what Rowett has done to the team.

Absolutely, spot on, he hasn’t got a clue when it comes to assessing a player’s quality and ability .. and I’d forgotten that it was Rowett who brought Lawrence in as a ‘marquee signing’, a player who, like Jerome, contributes absolutely nothing ! 

Six things (at least) that Rowett deserves to be sacked for :- 

Sending out Martin on loan ..

Sending out Elsnick on loan ..

Not appreciating Will Hughes ..

Buying Cameron Jerome ..

Buying Tom Lawrence .. 

Hiding in the dugout for the last 20 minutes last night .. !! 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Hiding in the dugout for the last 20 minutes last night .. !! 

I think that was one of the things that really got to me last night. As soon as that fourth goal went in, Rowett was straight onto the bench and didn't emerge again.

Not what you want to see from your manager when the **** is hitting the fan. 

Archived