Ray Wilkins

Gaspode

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a fine player... although I only really remember him at the end of his career - you don't get 86 caps without being pretty damn good.

My abiding memory of him though, will be his sending off in the Mexico world cup vs. Morocco.  Bryan Robson had already done his shoulder and England could only scrape an embarrasing draw. Up until then England had been woeful.  But the loss of Robson and Wilkins for the next match opened the door for the younger Everton midfielders of Peter Reid and Trevor Steven. 

Engalnd were transformed and the match the followed vs Poland made Gary Lineker's career, and probably kept Bobby Robson in a job.

Football.  Funny how careers can be won or lost in the blink of an eye.

Ray Butch Wilkins. You were a fine player. Taken way too soon. RIP

Real contradictions with Ray....was a very famous player yet only won an FA Cup and most well known for sideways passing and being sent off!. As a pundit he seemed a nice guy, a genuinely decent bloke but not the most dynamic to listen to. Privately seemed squeaky clean yet quietly admitted to a few demons, and was strangely let go rather unceremoniously by Chelsea where he was a legend.

I kinda feel especial regret...as he's part of childhood (wore my fav Admiral England shirt) ...but l feel he tried so hard to be a gentleman and play up the matey angle...that underneath there was a far more interesting guy trying to get out who we missed.

RIP Butch.

I was lucky enough to spend the day at Crystal Palace's training ground back in 1995 when Ray Wilkins played for them and met him then. That day still sticks in my mind, not least how Ray came across as he does on tv or the radio, very humble, and despite his fame and status, bizarrely he was interested in me and did his trademark thing of learning my first name in a second and then using it regularly. I still get my children's names mixed up with our dog. I'll miss his punditry on the radio now, and thoughts are with his family.

4 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Yep, classy, on the same night that the victims were throwing bottles of pee and rocks at the City players...

LFC offended by everything, ashamed of nothing 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, classy, on the same night that the victims were throwing bottles of pee and rocks at the City players...

LFC offended by everything, ashamed of nothing 

Absolute disgrace, I would like to think those scumbags would be dealt with by the authorities. Unfortunately they’ve been so good at playing the victim over the years that they've become almost bulletproof and the  law won’t touch them   

Archived