Internet shopping

Angry Ram

We do most grocery shopping online (Ocado - very good) & pretty much all white goods have been from ao.com for the last few years. I get loads of stuff from Amazon, as it's not a problem for me to have it delivered to work & often I can order it in the evening and it's delivered the next day. I rarely buy clothes online though because of the hassle if it's not right or I decide I don't like it.

Amazon are very good but I've been diddled a few times by other sellers via the Amazon site, so be careful of that. Amazon will help sort it out but it's still a hassle & delay in getting money back etc.

I had a wander round Currys last weekend for the first time in ages and was surprised how cheap their stuff was - similar to online but then when I saw half a dozen staff huddled chatting in a corner instead of helping people it makes me think they don't deserve my trade.

On the flip side & when in town (Newark) I try and support local independents as much as I can & don't mind paying a bit more: e.g. I'll always buy meat from a local butcher rather than via Ocado & always avoid Costa or Starbucks in favour of the friendly local coffee shops who understand what customer service means.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

We do most grocery shopping online (Ocado - very good) & pretty much all white goods have been from ao.com for the last few years. I get loads of stuff from Amazon, as it's not a problem for me to have it delivered to work & often I can order it in the evening and it's delivered the next day. I rarely buy clothes online though because of the hassle if it's not right or I decide I don't like it.

Amazon are very good but I've been diddled a few times by other sellers via the Amazon site, so be careful of that. Amazon will help sort it out but it's still a hassle & delay in getting money back etc.

I had a wander round Currys last weekend for the first time in ages and was surprised how cheap their stuff was - similar to online but then when I saw half a dozen staff huddled chatting in a corner instead of helping people it makes me think they don't deserve my trade.

On the flip side & when in town (Newark) I try and support local independents as much as I can & don't mind paying a bit more: e.g. I'll always buy meat from a local butcher rather than via Ocado & always avoid Costa or Starbucks in favour of the friendly local coffee shops who understand what customer service means.

Agree Meat from the butchers, its usually much better quality. Also bread locally too as lasts longer than supermarket bread.

38 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Would not risk that. Don't you feel the need to see and feel the quality of what you are buying?

You do hear some horror stories, mainly one based in Manchester.

I have an account at Howdens, but I got mine from a distribution company in Cannock. The big firms do try to have your pants down.

44 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Would not risk that. Don't you feel the need to see and feel the quality of what you are buying?

Got to take a few risks in life, keeps you on your toes. I even got my missus online, wasn't able to feel the quality till the second date. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

Got to take a few risks in life, keeps you on your toes. I even got my missus online, wasn't able to feel the quality till the second date. 

How many did you return to the post office before you got one that fits though?

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Agree Meat from the butchers, its usually much better quality. Also bread locally too as lasts longer than supermarket bread.

Agreed, though I usually make my own bread.....well, the machine does :cool:. I compared them once & supermarket bread has up to 5 times the amount of salt in it as most recipes as well.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Ha ha, forgot about that. Me too.

Thankfully I haven't had to scrutinise the returns policy on this one.....

Most of my online purchases are on eBay. If you can wait a few days to get hold of what you want, it saves tons.  

Don’t buy a lot of clothes online as I prefer to try them on first.  My Mrs does and I’m constantly going to the post office with bags of stuff she sends back. But she works all weekend so doesn’t have time for shopping on the high street.

Electricals & white goods I’ll go to a couple of shops and if I can find them cheaper online I’ll go home to order it, or even do it on my phone in the shop!!

one thing I don’t do is get anything from Amazon. These days most of what you buy comes from an Amazon Trader, so you could be getting any old tat, you might as well order it off eBay and not pay the premium Amazon stick on top. Amazon is only for people to don’t know how to use a Google search...

You can get some really great bargains for obscure items on Ebay which you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else - the light switch broke on my BMW recently, Sytners wanted 130 quid for a replacement I found a guy flogging one on Ebay for a tenner, bargain.

44 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Most of my online purchases are on eBay. If you can wait a few days to get hold of what you want, it saves tons.  

44 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

one thing I don’t do is get anything from Amazon. These days most of what you buy comes from an Amazon Trader, so you could be getting any old tat, you might as well order it off eBay and not pay the premium Amazon stick on top. Amazon is only for people to don’t know how to use a Google search...

Who do you think the eBay sellers are?

When you shop on Amazon flick on the Prime switch even if you don't have Prime as it only shows items which are shipped by Amazon. 

eBay you can order something that says it's located in Milton Keynes and with you in 2 days but you end up waiting over a week as it's come from China

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You can get samples. Read reviews. The thing is for quality they were streets ahead of high street stuff. Plus even when you go somewhere like IKEA or B&Q etc you might be sure of what you order but you can't be sure what you'll get! :D

1 hour ago, David said:

Who do you think the eBay sellers are?

When you shop on Amazon flick on the Prime switch even if you don't have Prime as it only shows items which are shipped by Amazon. 

eBay you can order something that says it's located in Milton Keynes and with you in 2 days but you end up waiting over a week as it's come from China

I've only ever had a couple of issues with ebay sellers, and it was only with damaged goods, that can happen with anything you order.  I've compared identical stuff on Amazon & ebay and found the Amazon stuff to be dearer.  That's what I have an issue with.

You can normally avoid the China imports by avoiding listings with shoddy English...

Archived