Peter Daniel

loweman2

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

I know there's a farmer amongst the old brigade,and for some reason I always think of Pete first, before getting the sneaking feeling that it was in fact Ronnie .

I know that John O'Hare, Alan Hinton and Alan Durban all lived in Ockbrook. I got one story that John was to have his bedroom decorated,but he was still in bed, so they decorated around him. I also heard that Sunderland were rumoured to be wanting to sign him back at one stage, so he promptly turned up at a local party sporting the sunderland shirt.

Seem to remember Alan Durban being pretty good at tennis and cricket, and that he managed to turn out for the Derbyshire 2nd Xl once?

Such happy memories and I wonder if they appreciate the level of warmth we all feel towards them.

Yes Ron was "of farming stock".

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, loweman2 said:

just wish that our club did more to involve them, one thing that is poor is that the Christmas get together they have they have to buy tickets for it

That is absolutely ridiculous.

sometimes the club comes across as pretty stupid.

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes he did. As well as Sunderland, Shrewsbury, Cardiff and the Welsh national team. Mixed bag in terms of success though. 

Something tells me Richie Barker also managed Stoke?

Going back to Alan Durban , during the Tim Ward years I remember him bending free kicks over the wall ( he particularly seemed to like Coventry on Easter Mondays). At that time,I can't remember any other players in the English Leagues doing this. Should it have been ' Bend it like Durban'?

On 3/23/2018 at 23:26, uttoxram75 said:

Yes, he once said, after some criticism of his teams playing style, “if you want entertainment, go and see a bunch of clowns “.

Not the best manager tbh, but one hell of a player.

Poland had a goalie they could have watched :lol:

2 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Going back to Alan Durban , during the Tim Ward years I remember him bending free kicks over the wall ( he particularly seemed to like Coventry on Easter Mondays). At that time,I can't remember any other players in the English Leagues doing this. Should it have been ' Bend it like Durban'?

Yes definitely. A lot of people used to say that Martin Peters of Spurs and England was ahead of his time in terms of technical ability. I would put Alan Durban in that category. 

7 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes definitely. A lot of people used to say that Martin Peters of Spurs and England was ahead of his time in terms of technical ability. I would put Alan Durban in that category. 

Yep, I remember that being said of Peters, yet some didn't rate him. That's football for you, all about opinions for fans.

I particularly liked the story that came out recently about Hennessey's last game, when Terry didn't think he was fit enough to come out for the second half. The great man said something like ' You'll have to, otherwise I'll have to play him '. Cue Alan looking round to see who he meant. You can visualise/hear the whole incident.

23 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Funnily enough Alan emailed me last week to ask if I wanted him to get Richie to sign my 1968/69/70 shirt as he was meeting up with him a few days later, they are still really good friends and meet up every month for lunch.

this is the shirt so far, still plenty more to add, messers Hinton, walker and O’hare In the next couple of weeks then Wignall, McGovern and Webster.

DCD0974C-990A-4EC7-A648-48CDBADAD428.jpeg

11E56F21-0548-4F68-A0CC-0D8DEA11B0CC.jpeg

18 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Funnily enough Alan emailed me last week to ask if I wanted him to get Richie to sign my 1968/69/70 shirt as he was meeting up with him a few days later, they are still really good friends and meet up every month for lunch.

this is the shirt so far, still plenty more to add, messers Hinton, walker and O’hare In the next couple of weeks then Wignall, McGovern and Webster.

DCD0974C-990A-4EC7-A648-48CDBADAD428.jpeg

11E56F21-0548-4F68-A0CC-0D8DEA11B0CC.jpeg

I only realised in recent times that John McGovern's ungainly run was related to a back problem. Do you know if Richie had a similar problem. Always liked Richie, gave of his best, and I think was heavily underrated by some at the time.

On 3/23/2018 at 18:53, admira said:

Fantastic. Any plans to meet King Kev? That would be the ultimate 

I have the good fortune to spend a few hours with my hero ,who I have to say is an absolute gentleman as well as being  the player who has given me the greatest pleasure in my 60 years watching the Rams .

the king and I.jpg

I've been fortunate enough to meet a load of the players from the 70's, my old man used to drink in the Joiners with the likes of Roy Mac and was mates with a load of the Title winning squad and I used to help out the ex-Rams team when they were short of a keeper, including a cracking game at Sudbury Prison when Roger organised a match against the then imprisoned Mickey Thomas' ex-Liverpool XI.

But one great memory was playing in teh last match at the BBG against the ex-Rams, when King Kev scored an overhead kick past me :lol:

oJsuJzf.png

L4pZhmx.png

I need to contact the Telegraph actually to see if they have any more pictures, as unfortunately back then I didn't get many pics which if I'd known I'd get this old I would have made more of an effort to keep a record.

Although, and if I do say it myself, I made a cracking save from a Phill Gee header at the Normanton end and Roger shouts down the pitch at me "You playing for a contract Mick?" Brilliant experience.

Archived