Serie A title race

Jourdan

On 21/03/2018 at 12:51, Jourdan said:

Ramnut, I teach English here - in different parts of the city and the wider metropolitan area in and around Mount Vesuvius.

I’ve only been here since September. Before I was in St. Petersburg.

It has been a mixed experience so far - good times and bad times - but definitely a worthwhile one.

I have heard many people say Naples is dangerous but I haven’t felt that. I think if you are sensible, you will be fine.

Aesthetically, it’s not a typically beautiful city like Florence, for example. In many parts, it’s dirty and rough but that reflects the fact that it’s a working class city. 

But if you can look beyond that, you will see that the people make the city with their energy, their passion, their spirit and their craft. They are obsessed with food and football. They are very protective of their language, food and traditions and it can sometimes feel like they operate in closed circles but Neapolitan people are good people on the whole.

It’s definitely a place that thrives in the summer, especially being on the doorstep of the Amalfi Coast.

Sorrento is nice I had a really good holiday there. I really liked Italy. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Hands up if you have the same amount of trophies as Sarri ?

I like the way Napoli play but glad they are bottling it after the disrespect they showed to the champions league and Europa league.

Bottling it?

WWWWWWWWWWDLW

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

They are second so they are bottling it when they were comfortably first

They are second because Juventus are also in great form, that one defeat has allowed them to jump ahead by 2 points. One defeat is hardly bottling it. 

Just now, David said:

They are second because Juventus are also in great form, that one defeat has allowed them to jump ahead by 2 points. One defeat is hardly bottling it. 

They are bottling it. They are feeling the pressure and sacrificed their European campaigns to win the  Scudetto. They are not playing well at all like they were at the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

They are bottling it. They are feeling the pressure and sacrificed their European campaigns to win the  Scudetto. They are not playing well at all like they were at the start of the season.

It’s ok, I’ve just seen your posts on Forest building something and finishing above Derby, can see you’re out fishing today. You can play by yourself.

5 minutes ago, JDCFC75 said:

Hardly bottling it. I believe that you are the one that said Barcelona are finished based on Paulinho signing and guess what? You're wrong on that one. Apologies if it's not you

On 14/08/2017 at 12:37, McLovin said:

Lol! Barca are finished, 40 million for Paulinho ?????

8 minutes ago, David said:

It’s ok, I’ve just seen your posts on Forest building something and finishing above Derby, can see you’re out fishing today. You can play by yourself.

Not fishing on both issues. Napoli sacrificed both the champions league AND Europa league for the purpose of winning serie a this season which they won’t do. They have bottled it as they were in a fantastic position to win. People in Italy were already crowning them as champions before Christmas( like people did with Man City) 

6 minutes ago, JDCFC75 said:

Hardly bottling it. I believe that you are the one that said Barcelona are finished based on Paulinho signing and guess what? You're wrong on that one. Apologies if it's not you

They are finished in terms of the Barca way. They don’t play tiki taka anymore. Real Madrid play more like Barcelona than Barcelona do currently. They are an efficient team. 

I will admit, they have done far better than I expected them to it but that is only down to the brilliance of Messi. Many Barcelona fans have said that without Messi, they would be outside the top 4. 

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

I think it's harsh and ignorant to suggest they are bottling it. Juventus had won 12 league games in a row before the Spal match, so it was always going to be hard to keep pace.

Consider the context - on the whole, Napoli have a very young, naive and inexperienced squad and a coach that is old and experienced but not at the very highest level. This is unknown territory. Napoli are the biggest club Sarri has managed and by some distance too, so in many ways this is a learning curve for him. Napoli are a team without big names, without players used to delivering on the big stage so there is also much learning for those players to do, especially when Napoli don't have the depth or experience of Juventus, even this current, less heralded version.

So of course they will feel some pressure. They are not used to fighting for titles, as they are a club seen as a stepping stone to other more traditionally successful clubs.  They feel more pressure because Juventus have won six titles in a row and Napoli are simply not conditioned to winning in the same way. Big European nights or crunch league games don't come so easily.

It's different with Juve. Let's not forget, Napoli are competing against a club that has won 33 league titles and 2 European Cups. Here in England, we think of Milan as being the bigger club because of their achievements in the European Cup. But in Italy itself, Juve are very much the big dog in the yard. 

Let's also keep in mind that this is a once-in-a-generation moment for the team of Napoli and the city. The last time Napoli won the Scudetto was 1990 and they have come back from the brink and relegation since then. So in many ways, they are still establishing themselves as a top-shelf European team. It takes time. So to expect them to be handling the pressure of the closest title race in years and compete in Europe is just silly.

20 hours ago, McLovin said:

They are finished in terms of the Barca way. They don’t play tiki taka anymore. Real Madrid play more like Barcelona than Barcelona do currently. They are an efficient team. 

I will admit, they have done far better than I expected them to it but that is only down to the brilliance of Messi. Many Barcelona fans have said that without Messi, they would be outside the top 4. 

Because I bet you are bumping into Barcelona fans every morning on your way to school aren’t you......?

The most important competition any club is in every season is their respective league, this should always be their number 1 concern....the champions league etc are all just bonuses. 

All this "mentality" stuff in football is a load of rubbish when it comes to what managers say to the press. They say whatever will take pressure off their players and themselves and put it onto other teams players/managers/owners. You can read into it whatever you like, spend hours debating the psychological impacts but in the end it means absolutely nothing, and a managers ability to express himself in the media should be at the bottom of requirements when judging their ability. Probably less than a 50% chance the players will even hear or see the comments after the game.

In the dressing room the players will be motivated to win the league, particularly when they are so close to what would be Napoli's first in nearly 30 years. If they are good enough they will win it, if they aren't, they won't - it will be nothing to do with Sarri saying they hope they can get to 87 points.

Although I hope someone ends the Juventus winning machine's run soon I don't think it will be this season.

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Thanks for trying Napoli...now let the big boys walk away with the league again. 

City, Barca, Munich, Juve, Celtic Paris

now who would have predicted that at the start of the season......?

Really thought Bournemouth were going to walk it this season too! So much excitement this year.

Archived