Life on Loan - Elsnik & Gordon

David

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Waffle said:

Being so proud of our academy it would be an insult not to give Timi a chance, we’re not a buying club but the distinct lack of youth is disturbing

Absolutely. We seemed to have a whole generation coming through but now it's all gone bare; yet Notts County and Florist seem to turn up regular gems. I understand that there are lots in the youth teams with really great promise...next 5 years should throw some up.

How many would we expect over that time to smash it into the first XI? 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. We seemed to have a whole generation coming through but now it's all gone bare; yet Notts County and Florist seem to turn up regular gems. I understand that there are lots in the youth teams with really great promise...next 5 years should throw some up.

I’d love at least 1/2 regular starters.

Creswell, Thomas and Elsnik seem to show a good level of promise

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

With Forest at least it's been a case of needs must, luckily for them it paid off, could have quite easily gone the other way. They only narrowly avoided relegation let's not forget.

The defeat to Wednesday the other night, would fans have been more forgiving had the team contained one or two from the U23s, or would questions be asked as to why they are getting game time ahead of experienced pros at a crucial time of the season?

I honestly think bringing through youngsters is one of the most difficult tasks a manager faces, especially when chasing promotion. 

When we look back to Hendrick an Hughes breaking through, without starting a Clough debate, we wasn't really fighting to stay up or go up, the timing was perfect to for us to see what happens, we had nothing to lose. 

There's a video on YouTube today from RamsTV with David Nugent, one question he was ask is does he have any advice on becoming a professional football, part of the answer was luck. 

My take on that is you need to be lucky to be at the right place at the right time, for those Forest players that was when the club dealing with the mess that Fawaz left behind.

Now some will argue that players will always breakthrough but it does make you wonder how many have slipped through football simply by not being given a chance, not having the luck/being there at the right time. 

14 games to go, 2pts off 2nd place and one of the biggest pay days in football potentially weeks away, not many managers will throw in a U23s player to give him that chance unless we're hit by injuries, then a Luke Thomas get's "lucky".

@David's spot on about how tough it is and how Rowett is hampered by his success, with us fighting for promotion.

I've said it elsewhere but the more I see of Elsnik the more he reminds me of Le Tissier. Outrageous skill and shooting ability with both feet.

I was disappointed @OwenB87 didn't ask Gordon about playing wingback when he was further forward in the U23s. Or more likely he did but it was edited out. We have promising young fullbacks in Lowe, Stabana and Bogle so does it really help Kellen's development to be playing in that position and not further advanced, where what Derby lack is proper wide players rather than central strikers who we play out wide.

A lesson both have to learn in Swindon's promotion push is consistency. It's great to have a match-winning performance but can these lads do it week-in, week-out, which is what the Robins are going to need. Let's hope so.

If we're in the Championship next season I'd expect it to be the case that Elsnik will be a key first team player. Great if Gordon can force his way in too. If we go up, it might be that both are looking for Championship loans. I feel Elsnik's ability means he'd be really well suited to the Premier League, but Rowett is quite conservative and it would be a shame for Timi Max as a young player if he's not getting much game time.

11 hours ago, David said:

With Forest at least it's been a case of needs must, luckily for them it paid off, could have quite easily gone the other way. They only narrowly avoided relegation let's not forget.

The defeat to Wednesday the other night, would fans have been more forgiving had the team contained one or two from the U23s, or would questions be asked as to why they are getting game time ahead of experienced pros at a crucial time of the season?

I honestly think bringing through youngsters is one of the most difficult tasks a manager faces, especially when chasing promotion. 

When we look back to Hendrick an Hughes breaking through, without starting a Clough debate, we wasn't really fighting to stay up or go up, the timing was perfect to for us to see what happens, we had nothing to lose. 

There's a video on YouTube today from RamsTV with David Nugent, one question he was ask is does he have any advice on becoming a professional football, part of the answer was luck. 

My take on that is you need to be lucky to be at the right place at the right time, for those Forest players that was when the club dealing with the mess that Fawaz left behind.

Now some will argue that players will always breakthrough but it does make you wonder how many have slipped through football simply by not being given a chance, not having the luck/being there at the right time. 

14 games to go, 2pts off 2nd place and one of the biggest pay days in football potentially weeks away, not many managers will throw in a U23s player to give him that chance unless we're hit by injuries, then a Luke Thomas get's "lucky".

Yes very good points well made @David. It is a very "topsy turvy" journey; then again "players" like Robbie Savage somehow make the grade, which shows how much of an imperfect system it is. 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes very good points well made @David. It is a very "topsy turvy" journey; then again "players" like Robbie Savage somehow make the grade, which shows how much of an imperfect system it is. 

Ella the most successful Championship manager is Warnock and you will never see kids in his teams or Billy Davies the first thing he did when he came to Derby was scrap the youth team But would be nice to see more lads come through 

3 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Ella the most successful Championship manager is Warnock and you will never see kids in his teams or Billy Davies the first thing he did when he came to Derby was scrap the youth team But would be nice to see more lads come through 

Yes good example @Mistaram because he is in no way insane. :mellow:

Archived