The greatest goalkeeper England never had ?

loweman2

Perhaps not, 

especially as he had Banks, Shilton, clemence, bonneti and corrigan ahead of him but Colin Boulton was and is a 100% Derby County legend, he never really seems to have received the credit due to him, he is the only Derby County player to have been an ever present in Both of our league division one championship winning teams, what an incredible feat that was ! 

I was lucky with my dad to be invited by him over to his home yesterday and spend three hours in his company, a real gentleman and he made a lot of effort in ensuring that he showed us everything from his career and has saved everything even down to the programmes from the games he played in, shirts, medals, cups etc, you can tell that he is very proud of what he achieved, even had all of his contracts and payslips, they made my eyes water when compared with the modern era.

he had some great stories obviously having been at the club since 1965 and worked under Clough, Taylor, docherty etc.

i was amazed to hear that when he came to derby for a trial it was as a forward not as a goalkeeper ! That makes his story even more incredible.

I asked him who was the greatest player that he had played with and was surprised when he said Johan Cruyff ! He then reminded me that he played in America for LA with him.

he gave me a great insight as to why Tommy Docherty got rid of so many players, I had never really considered it before but it does make complete sense now, I won’t share his views on here as it could be inflamable.

also stories of what was going off behind the scenes financially during his many years at the club.

all in all an excellent time was had with a really nice down to earth man and another one ticked off the list on taking my dad to meet his heroes !

also left with a great signed shirt for my collection !

and here’s the proof he did it ! Not that we need any !

77865DCC-07C0-4CFF-A207-464BEA3E5004.jpeg

E81BFBCB-6DEE-444D-99B4-5B20B0ABF002.jpeg

1DDAC6D8-28AD-47CE-A592-CFADA2DE1CF9.jpeg

CD1DCE43-6998-49E4-BF1F-DBA13867509E.jpeg

79008FC9-DCD6-47BF-BEE5-A2D69CC3C06C.jpeg

0C9D34F9-DB9B-4E24-8361-72B0F586778F.jpeg

B5170AB3-B8E1-4EC6-9D8E-9525193FD43F.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you mention it I remember the "forward" story. Very odd. Great post and story, @loweman2.

My recollection (but I was very young) is that Boulton rarely dived, which could be another way of saying he had great positioning. Every season I hoped we'd buy Shilton to replace him, but we waited until PS was well past his prime. Boulton could be said to be unlucky not to get a sniff, given his record, but we had McFarland, Todd and Nish as three of the back four so he had decent cover in front of him.

I think the England keepers during his time were Shilton, Clemence and Corrigan. That's an impressive top three if you're hoping to break into the squad.

Great post @loweman2 . Like most (I suspect),was particularly intrigued by the Doc element. Trying to think back,he brought in Masson and then boasted about his 3 Van Goghs (or some other artist),the trouble being that he was used to having everything directed through him. Also remember that great trier (and pretty good player imo) Billy Hughes being sold;rumour having it that he was flogged for being too pally with Gerry Daly. Trouble was, he was our only decent striker left (one of my favourite Rams players,as it happens). Then remember the gamble of Moreland and Caskey,but both were out of their depth. Did admire Billy C. though for his effort and never felt like criticising him.

I think Gerry may have been half the inspiration behind "Home and Away".

thanks for the comments guys, its good to know that there is more than just me out there keeping the dream alive !

I am loving meeting all of the old players, don't get me wrong i also get a buzz chatting to the younger players but its no where near the same level as the 70s players, they are so laid back and really make time to make you feel welcome in their homes, som are better off than others but that is the same in all walks of life, but the one thing that they all have is an undying respect for Brian Clough, some love him some don't but the all to this day respect him and what he did for them, took in some cases some very average footballers and put them alongside some other average and in some cases older experienced players and made them into world beaters !

The Docherty comments were more about the removal of the old guard and perhaps where allegiances may lie and who advised him of this !

all good stuff and the great thing is I am getting to take my old man to meet all of his heroes who he was lucky enough to sit and watch week in a week out and idolise them from the terraces and to see him now sitting down chatting with them as equals makes me happy, a couple of retired older men looking back on the past and what a past it was ! he lost a lot of interest in life in general when we lost my mum a few years ago so its nice to be able to give him a bit back !!

up the rams !

old and young

Archived