January window

ramtique

28 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes I agree. I assume that either Rowett's hands were tied financially, or he couldn't attract the right type of players to DCFC. 

He didn't convince Lookman. Maybe he's not as good in the transfer market as he thinks? Don't buy all this FFP / he's having a hard time bananas. Plus he chooses to which players to ship out, or not, rather than get them playing for us.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not read all the thread so might be repeating others but I can’t help but think losing Johnny and Chris at such a vital part if the season will probably cost us automatic promotion. 

There were times against Norwich when holding the ball in their half would have took the sting out of them and put us on the front foot instead. 

Those two could do that and without them we’ve lost an invaluable option. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

We needed to do more In January to get promoted. The failure to sign a couple of top class wingers and maybe a younger striker will cost us, in that you are correct. Lawrence and Weimann aren’t players capable of playing in a team gunning for auto promotion. It’s very annoying that we couldn’t show just a little more ambition and get the players we need in, because it wasn’t like Gary hadn’t identified and wasn’t looking at the sort of players above- but sadly were working on a shoestring budget so what can you do? Just have to hope we can make it up in the playoffs, it’s a lottery literally anyone can win so we’ve got a good a chance as any should we make it.

Weimann is another legacy player that Gary Rowett had no part in signing. I wonder whether he was hawked around as being available for loan/purchase. 

Lawrence has been a disappointment so far and given Gary Rowett focused heavily on getting him in the summer it would be doubly annoying if he was the cause of us being close to ffp limits this season. 

Whilst I appreciate that Gary has been under quite a lot of constraints,  it has to be said that not all of his signings have  (yet) delivered for him.

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Weimann is another legacy player that Gary Rowett had no part in signing. I wonder whether he was hawked around as being available for loan/purchase. 

Lawrence has been a disappointment so far and given Gary Rowett focused heavily on getting him in the summer it would be doubly annoying if he was the cause of us being close to ffp limits this season. 

Whilst I appreciate that Gary has been under quite a lot of constraints,  it has to be said that not all of his signings have  (yet) delivered for him.

Fair comment that not all Gary signings have delivered yet ,Lawrence is really not up there yet in terms of what he brings and as our biggest signing and the position he plays that’s a bit of a bugger but in fairness he is youngish and the type of potential flair player that you don’t often get on the cheap and much as my early gut reaction is that he won’t cut it it’s very unfair of me to judge him this early and hoping I’m totally wrong,

that signing aside we are having to get used to a different set of restraints ,, we have spent a few seasons getting pretty much any player we went in for and did this by massively over paying in fees and wages so to judge rowett as not being as good as he thinks in the transfer market is a bit unfair too? Rowett getting the team he wants is clearly not going to be instant ,we don’t have that kind of money and irresponsible policy any more ,,, 

i know you can never say anything for sure but I would love to know where we would be now had rowett been the man to take over instead of clement or had the same spending power now

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Didn't he want to sign him for Brum? Anyway I can't but think he rates him.

2 hours ago, archied said:

i know you can never say anything for sure but I would love to know where we would be now had rowett been the man to take over instead of clement or had the same spending power now

Very good point and I've just realised that I've never heard Gary complain about this so I should give him more credit.

I do remember that in the summer window mention was made of "identified targets" and that all seemed to go a bit to pot late in the January window  (but interestingly wasn't mentioned )!

Gary at least is learning not to say anything that could bite you if things don't work out :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't convince Lookman. Maybe he's not as good in the transfer market as he thinks? Don't buy all this FFP / he's having a hard time bananas. Plus he chooses to which players to ship out, or not, rather than get them playing for us.

Don't think you will ever get over him shipping Martin out 

8 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Why shouldn't you

Because he's a skilful, intelligent goalscorer who is a Derby County player. And because I'm a fan of him as much as I am of Derby. There are other footballers out there and I have no problem at all appreciating and supporting them. Obviously you feel differently. #amibovvered

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because he's a skilful, intelligent goalscorer who is a Derby County player. And because I'm a fan of him as much as I am of Derby. There are other footballers out there and I have no problem at all appreciating and supporting them. Obviously you feel differently. #amibovvered

Really ? You are a fan of Martin as much as your a fan of derby? Explains a lot , fair play to you but you are deffo on a different page from me ,I’m a derby fan first and foremost above all else ,not football in general not any single player,not any single manager ,not any single owner ,,,, derby ,derby ,derby ,,, the rest come and go

19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not read all the thread so might be repeating others but I can’t help but think losing Johnny and Chris at such a vital part if the season will probably cost us automatic promotion. 

There were times against Norwich when holding the ball in their half would have took the sting out of them and put us on the front foot instead. 

Those two could do that and without them we’ve lost an invaluable option. 

Always thought JR did more than his share of tracking back, even when he wasn't having a great game. Also when he picked the ball up in our half and running at the opposition was a useful outlet. I understand why he left though. Good move for him and his family.

10 minutes ago, archied said:

Really ? You are a fan of Martin as much as your a fan of derby? Explains a lot , fair play to you but you are deffo on a different page from me ,I’m a derby fan first and foremost above all else ,not football in general not any single player,not any single manager ,not any single owner ,,,, derby ,derby ,derby ,,, the rest come and go

Good for you. I care not a whit how you support the Rams. Just don't tell me how to support them. I've been a Rams fan for nearly 50 years and don't need any advice on that front.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Good for you. I care not a whit how you support the Rams. Just don't tell me how to support them. I've been a Rams fan for nearly 50 years and don't need any advice on that front.

Read the post , you will clearly see that in no way did I tell you how to support the rams ,you will see that in fact I said fair play to you ,you support who and how you want ,your choice ,not how I see supporting derby FOR ME but hey each to they’re own it just lets me know why I can’t make heads nor tails of most of your opinions 

On 11/02/2018 at 20:04, ramtique said:

Anyone else fear our dealings - or lack of them - will ultimately prove costly at season’s end?

I know we have made serious mistakes in the past in January - both expensive in cash terms and also to team structure and morale.

But, for all the brilliance of the run we have been on for 3 months or so now, I still reckoned we needed just a couple of top quality signings in Jan - nothing too radical to disturb the amazing team spirt GR has engendered - in order to to give us a chance to realistically compete with a now fit, healthy and expensively constructed squad like Villa’s.

The club won’t admit as much now while everything is still up for grabs, but I’m sure come May - if we don’t achieve our ultimate aim either directly or through the play offs - GR,  being the honest guy he is, will lament the unfortunate missing out on Lookman and - to a lesser extent Grosicki - coupled with JR’s unexpected departure as key. It remains to be seen whether Palmer will mitigate these blows out wide as we all hope he will.

What GR definitely WON’T admit is that signing Jerome - for all his physical presence and experience - was a relatively underwhelming addition compared to what was really needed up top: despite his goal drought, and for all his misses yesterday, someone with the extra class and threat represented by Oliveira could have made all the difference between now and May.

Before anyone dismisses me as just another moaner, whatever happens this season GR and the team have surpassed all expectations and I for one have enjoyed the ride .. and hope it continues. We are undoubtedly now back on the road to the promised land ... but will we have got there sooner had we been just a LITTLE bolder  - and indeed fortunate - during January? Only time will possibly tell ...... here’s hoping I’m wrong! ?

I’m glad we got Jerome and hope Palmer can do the biz . If we had signed Lookman it could have made a difference but it wasn’t to be.

On 12/02/2018 at 07:33, archied said:

Don’t see your post as moaning , the best quality wide players ( two of) that we could have squeezed out of the budget could have been a massive boost and may have elevated us to a much better level and secured second spot 

it’s clear that rowett has more restraints to work under and is managing us with a real sense of responsibility for the well-being of the club as a whole 

On 12/02/2018 at 07:39, Mistaram said:

Yes agree with all that just think the dreaded FFP had a lot to do with it plus very late getting Martin and Shackel out But same as you say whatever happens we've had a good go I never thought we would be in the position we are in  I still think we can make it but a couple of injuries could be devastating for us Because of GR wanting to shrink the squad  If the worse scenario happens and we don't make it we could have problems with Bryson Butters Martin Blackman all coming back 

It’s almost as if he’s determined to rid Derby of our recent reputation for over-paying, almost regardless of the cost in terms of promotion this season. Frankly, I thought McClaren was right last season to resist the sellers’ market in January and I think Rowett is too.

Archived