24 hours later.

ronnieronalde

Kind of linked to the Burton thread and in particular NC's post match interview.

fisrtly let me dispel the myth that managers and players don't care as much as the fans after a defeat. Total garbage .

ive lived with one of the greatest managers the game has produced and I've been around enough players and managers to know they care deeply and are badly affected by a poor result. It dominates their lives and their moods for days afterwards , usually until the next game comes around and they  get a chance to put it right.

i can promise you that if their wives ask them a question in the wrong tone, even they'd get short sharp shrift. The dog is clever enough not to bark the wrong way..

those inside football know the rules and don't ask the pointless questions.

Why don't they interview managers the day after the game? Why do they insist on shoving a microphone under their noses and ask stupid leading questions 15 minutes after the game? Could it be the radio and tv interviewers are deliberately provoking managers with a view to getting increased exposure.

make them all come in next day. Give all sides time to prepare time to calm down and reflect.

too many benefit from managers answering stupid questions honestly. 

It it would also extend the fans involvement in the game for another 24 hours, give them something to look forward to next day.

Any down side at all?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Strachan's response when asked 'so Gordon where do you think you lost the game today?', 'that big green thing out there'

I don't think the next day is the answer, we all want to hear something soon after the game.

Think managers need to count to ten before answering. Its part of the job. 

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Why don't they interview managers the day after the game? Why do they insist on shoving a microphone under their noses and ask stupid leading questions 15 minutes after the game? Could it be the radio and tv interviewers are deliberately provoking managers with a view to getting increased exposure.

It would be better for teams surely.

Like Clough now and many, many managers have done earlier, they get caught by the heat of the moment. No one in football wins, only pulp media, who have created illusion that people need to hear something from the manager straight away. You can't sell football with sex but with emotions? Yes, after the game feelings make juicy problems stories.

So do they do it on purpose? Haven't followed interviewers that closely, but I'd be surprised if some of them wouldn't.

Skip the interview and let the studio talk minute more, would be much better. They could speculate how managers saw the game.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I understand that managers have to appear for interviews immediately after televised matches but wasn't aware the same requirement applies to radio?

yep, haas been this way for ages... the manager is supposed to face 'the media' in all its forms... but can send out his assistant or someone from the coachign staff, as nigel did whenever he was really pissed off.... and lets not forget Fergie refused to speak to the BBC and the assistant had to do it.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

yep, haas been this way for ages... the manager is supposed to face 'the media' in all its forms... but can send out his assistant or someone from the coachign staff, as nigel did whenever he was really pissed off.... and lets not forget Fergie refused to speak to the BBC and the assistant had to do it.

He always tended to do that whenever we won convincingly 

The fans feel bad after a defeat and it’s just as disappointing for the Managers. 

Part of a Managers job though to stay calm but it’s not always easy straight after a game. .

I think the fans want interviews as it’s all part of the match day experience 

Managers have been in the game long enough to know what's coming at the end of the game, even our academy players have media training lessons at the club. 

It's part of the job, to communicate with the fans that have gone to work all week to pay for a ticket to support the team, I don't think it's much to ask to hear from the manager after the game.

Would an extra 24hrs even help?

Saying all that, I do think managers should be given the choice of coming out after the game or not, it shouldn't be a requirement.

Would make be interesting to see which decide to talk and don't.

It's not just football, though. I remember Willie Thorne needing to pot the blue in the final frame, to win a major title, and fluffed it. His opponent closed out, and about 5 seconds later there was a microphone virtually up Willie's nose with the question 'How do you feel about missing that Blue?'

Archived