Statistically Speaking...

Ellafella

i4miba.jpg

2017-12-31-ch-att.thumb.png.3e81eb3e78e13d15a1a631b93c058996.png

2017-12-31-ch-def.thumb.png.9457315750057ca47f98990e55f4237b.png

2017-12-31-ch-eg.thumb.png.89f0f7100cf7f612a1260b39b1887371.png

When I last checked out the excellent Experimental 361 site, it was early November and, as the data was not totally up-to-date,  the charts seemed to suggest Derby were way off the pace. Today though, Ben Mayhew has updated the position, so it's interesting to see how Derby compare with all other teams in the Championship. I must emphasise, the beauty of these statistics is that they compare all other teams with one another on the same terms (shots faced, shots taken, expected goals per game, goals conceded versus shots faced etc) and are, statistically, a way of assessing relative quality of the teams. 

For each charts, the "good" area is coloured green which changes to red in bands the further you move your eyes away from the green area. 

You're all very clever people on here and so don't need me to "interpret", but there are one or two interesting things which pop out. 

@Carl Sagan put up a form guide in another thread on here which indicates that the team that is coming fast on the rails is Brentford, who I predict will be the team that bursts into the playoffs over the next few games {assuming they keep their form going} as the charts show they are a very good side. 

It would be great to hear your comments*. I very much recommend you visit experimental 3-6-1 for other interesting graphics. 

* except anybody quoting Benjamin D'Israeli

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Doesn’t look good for Burton. 

True. It would be very surprising if they avoid the big R from this point.

Notice also who are very adjacent to them on the defence stakes and probably reveals why they sacked MW today. The Florist defence is very leaky. 

Not usually negative but we ain't going to catch Wolves, however second is well within our grasp.

Interesting point about Brentford though, as is well documented their recruitment being based on individual player stats adding value to the "lower" end of the market.

Loves these graphs so thanks to @Ellafellafor the reminder. Success so far built on a formidable defence and a languidly clinical attack. I'll take that.

Interesting to see how a much improved Brentford get on at Molineux tonight. Are we happy for a Brentford win or do we want them kept out of the picture and concede the title to Wolves? I'm surprised our runaway leaders aren't more of an outlier on the charts, which perhaps suggests they may yet be due a blip. But they'd have to lose an awful lot of games to be caught.

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Loves these graphs so thanks to @Ellafellafor the reminder. Success so far built on a formidable defence and a languidly clinical attack. I'll take that.

Interesting to see how a much improved Brentford get on at Molineux tonight. Are we happy for a Brentford win or do we want them kept out of the picture and concede the title to Wolves? I'm surprised our runaway leaders aren't more of an outlier on the charts, which perhaps suggests they may yet be due a blip. But they'd have to lose an awful lot of games to be caught.

Thank you @Carl Sagan Sir. Brentford at Wolves tonight will be a very interesting outcome. I fancy Brentford to get a point. Moreover, how do Brentford manage to keep selling their best players yet continue to spread ripples in the Championship? Perhaps there's something in their recruitment policy that we can learn from? 

It's probably best if Wolves take all 3 points tonight but then again another team to take points off the likes of Boro, Villa, Leeds may also be a good thing for us. 

Archived