DCFC Ladies

mrdave85

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/28/womens-football-blog-derby-county-ladies-journalism-scholarships

I couldn't get the link to work, so have tried pasting the link as text, and copying some of the article below....

The amateur club Ewe Rams, who currently play in the third tier, have made clear their intention to bid for a place in the new semi-professional second tier of the Women’s Super League when applications are opened to non-WSL clubs in March.

As an aspect of the applications for the revamped WSL2, clubs must meet a set of strict criteria detailed by the FA. One of those is that a club must provide evidence of having “a written agreement in place with its Club Community Organisation in its catchment area which records how the Club and Club Community Organisation will work in partnership to develop and promote the women’s game (at both junior and senior level) in its local community.” It must also have “an agreement in place with at least one further education and at least one higher education establishment.”

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/28/womens-football-blog-derby-county-ladies-journalism-scholarships

I couldn't get the link to work, so have tried pasting the link as text, and copying some of the article below....

The amateur club Ewe Rams, who currently play in the third tier, have made clear their intention to bid for a place in the new semi-professional second tier of the Women’s Super League when applications are opened to non-WSL clubs in March.

As an aspect of the applications for the revamped WSL2, clubs must meet a set of strict criteria detailed by the FA. One of those is that a club must provide evidence of having “a written agreement in place with its Club Community Organisation in its catchment area which records how the Club and Club Community Organisation will work in partnership to develop and promote the women’s game (at both junior and senior level) in its local community.” It must also have “an agreement in place with at least one further education and at least one higher education establishment.”

thanks for that - I couldn't get the link to work either!

I really don't know why they are shoving birds football down our throats. I'm not interested in it in the slightest.

If u go on the BBC scores website women's football results are right near the top. Women presenters are now mainstream.

Where will this lunacy end ? Mixed teams by law ?

50 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I know its all very pc but......why have a ladies team?

I think I read at one brief point Women’s football was more popular and the FA wanted that to end, which is their perogative  I suppose.

I quite agree though. Millions of pounds of FA money gets funnelled from the men’s game into the women’s. Why? Can I have some for my 5 a side team?

I’m all for women setting to their own sports and leagues like the chaps did in the Victorian era and building something from the ground up instead of riding on the coattails of men’s football. North London ladies (insert sport) yes! Arsenal ladies however? No. Arsenal are a men’s football team.

Shouldn't women be washing pots and cooking?

Good job I jest as my wife is a woeful cook and couldn't tell the difference between Fairy and Flora.

In all seriousness I know someone who works with Ewe Rams and he tells me that Derby County refuse to allow Ewe Rams to train at moor farm...our wonderful community club won't let the girls train apparently, Ewe Rams have to go out and book pitches at places like Lee's brook themselves.

2 hours ago, one_chop said:

I really don't know why they are shoving birds football down our throats. I'm not interested in it in the slightest.

If u go on the BBC scores website women's football results are right near the top. Women presenters are now mainstream.

Probably a transgender England XI any time soon. I see that England womens footy on BBC tv tonight. The beeb not prepared to pay to show the real England matches, so pointless womens football is their offering on the cheap. 

4 hours ago, europia said:

Probably a transgender England XI any time soon. I see that England womens footy on BBC tv tonight. The beeb not prepared to pay to show the real England matches, so pointless womens football is their offering on the cheap. 

Well they ought to stop fannying about and pay for the Men’s England tv rights, what do we pay our licence fee for?

6 hours ago, one_chop said:

I know its ridiculous, next thing they will be letting women vote...lunacy.

On 28/11/2017 at 13:10, Ken Tram said:

Edited yesterday at 13:44 by rynny
Take the full article out

Hi Rynny,

I appreciate that it's a tricky job being a moderator,  but I wish you hadn't taken out some of the post. I hadn't pasted the whole article. 

Personally, I find it annoying when people just post links to articles because everyone has to click on a link to get the gist of a thread, whereas if a thread starts with the text of an article, everyone can know what the thread is about. Indeed, I think the post after mine was another member thanking me for my post. 

But, if you are going to edit people's posts on a thread, you open yourself up to being asked... "Hold on a second, you've edited a post that you think is too long, but not bothered about blatantly sexist posts in the danger thread." While many of us might not be offended by mild sexism, some may be quite offended. I provably wouldn't have mentioned it had you not edited my post. But if you are going to edit posts, then perhaps you need to edit other people's too?

It might be better to be a touch lighter on the editing and/or asking members to consider editing their own posts, rather than doing it at them?

On 28/11/2017 at 17:02, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In all seriousness I know someone who works with Ewe Rams and he tells me that Derby County refuse to allow Ewe Rams to train at moor farm...our wonderful community club won't let the girls train apparently, Ewe Rams have to go out and book pitches at places like Lee's brook themselves.

Is this true? I think that the club should be supporting the ladies' team more. 

41 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Hi Rynny,

I appreciate that it's a tricky job being a moderator,  but I wish you hadn't taken out some of the post. I hadn't pasted the whole article. 

Personally, I find it annoying when people just post links to articles because everyone has to click on a link to get the gist of a thread, whereas if a thread starts with the text of an article, everyone can know what the thread is about. Indeed, I think the post after mine was another member thanking me for my post. 

But, if you are going to edit people's posts on a thread, you open yourself up to being asked... "Hold on a second, you've edited a post that you think is too long, but not bothered about blatantly sexist posts in the danger thread." While many of us might not be offended by mild sexism, some may be quite offended. I provably wouldn't have mentioned it had you not edited my post. But if you are going to edit posts, then perhaps you need to edit other people's too?

It might be better to be a touch lighter on the editing and/or asking members to consider editing their own posts, rather than doing it at them?

Ken, the post was not edited for being too long, forum guidelines were recently updated which you will have agreed to, asks members not to paste full articles from other websites. The reason for this is copyright laws, websites do not appreciate when their work is copied in full on other websites and if they chose could take legal action against us.

Pasting the opening paragraph to give a snippet of info on what the article is, is fine, but not large parts or the entire article.

https://dcfcfans.uk/guidelines/

6 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Hi Rynny,

But miss, that’s not fair! Timmy did it first.

Its not sexist to argue that the Ladies / womens team should build its own club and identity instead of riding on the back of Derby County - or Arsenal etc.

thats how the team started out. Initially as Burton Wanderers, then Beacon Wanderers.

According to wiki the association with derby county grew out of the community development function in the 1990s. Supporting a community club - even calling it Derby Ladies is one thing. Calling it Derby County Ladies, and using the Ram logo is something else. 

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its not sexist to argue that the Ladies / womens team should build its own club and identity instead of riding on the back of Derby County - or Arsenal etc.

thats how the team started out. Initially as Burton Wanderers, then Beacon Wanderers.

According to wiki the association with derby county grew out of the community development function in the 1990s. Supporting a community club - even calling it Derby Ladies is one thing. Calling it Derby County Ladies, and using the Ram logo is something else. 

Arsenal ladies get higher attendances than the men’s ground they play at after the recent virtue signalling push in the media for women’s football to become more popular.  But then I do wonder what crowds ‘Boreham  Wood ladies’ would attract.

I’ve always thought there was a parallel with what military people call ‘Stolen Valour’ in the big men’s teams having an official ladies team.  I mean if some people moan that Chris Martin isn’t fit to lick Kevin Hectors bootstraps then what does that make Karen the PE teacher?

The annoying thing is if women’s football actually made the modifications to its rules and dimensions of its game (which may technically make it a separate sport and mean no FA funding) it could realistically become my second favourite sport and have me paying money to watch it.  Instead of goalkeepers not able to cover the goal frame and not able to kick the ball past the halfway line how’s about lots of 5 ft2 low centre of gravity players playing a technical game on small pitches?  La Liga fans would love it. 

But they’ll carry on taking the easy route for short term gain to the permanent detriment of women’s football.

34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its not sexist to

It is sexist to say women should be at home doing the washing up! Personally, I'm fine with banter, but this article was about 3x scholarships per year worth £27k per year to keen footballers joining Derby County, and so this was perhaps not the thread to be dissing women or women's football. 

Quite frankly, I am delighted and take pride when Derby County win - and this applies to the first team, U23s, Ladies, and if we had an over 65s walking team, a wheelchair team, or one for learning disabilities - I would have the same pride in their victories. So, perhaps it's right that they all play occasional matches at Pride Park, and benefit from the wider Derby County continuity. 

Archived