Rowett's style is so direct

North East Ram

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

We turned into a much more sophisticated and enjoyable team to watch in the following season and dispensed with the dire hoofball

Perhaps that’s the whole point of this thread. First you have to be compact, defend well and hit fast on the break. Later you can evolve the team by integrating more skill full players.

Or maybe Gary likes long ball!

Personally I actually quite like long ball: Accurate long pass, forward bursting through at speed with chasing defender, get the ball under control, is the keeper coming out or not, last ditch attempt from the defender to tackle, through on goal--shot!!!!!!

What's not to like.

Compare: 20 short sideways , backwards slow passes, may get into the opponents half, probably not. Average 10 shots a game(  one shot in nine minutes) average one on target. Goalkeepers largely redundant. Boring!!

What's to like. 

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Personally I actually quite like long ball: Accurate long pass, forward bursting through at speed with chasing defender, get the ball under control, is the keeper coming out or not, last ditch attempt from the defender to tackle, through on goal--shot!!!!!!

What's not to like.

Compare: 20 short sideways , backwards slow passes, may get into the opponents half, probably not. Average 10 shots a game(  one shot in nine minutes) average one on target. Goalkeepers largely redundant. Boring!!

What's to like. 

When it works I like it. But when you have 87 minutes of the ball being mopped up by opposing defenders, rolling out of play and being scooped up by keepers then I find it incredibly boring. And it invites teams to have a real go if they know they feel you'll give the ball back easy. 

I don't mind hoofball when it's dropped on the heads of Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch when it works. But all too often it's easy to effect their header and prepared for the second ball. Then it gets boring.

Passing for passing sake is dull but if it's to draw the opposition in and create gaps and break their shape then you're doing it while in control.

What's not to like.

What's to like. 

If only it were as black and white as that...

I watched Switzerland Ireland last night. The commentators were saying how great the Irish lads were but at the end of the day the Swiss keeper had nothing to do and there was one shot cleared of the line (and from memory that was across both matches).

I want goal mouth action not pitty patty 5 yard passes that don't pull the opposition out of shape, more like give him time to get into shape.

I heard a commentator say the other night that fans don't understand international football its more a chess game. No its not! Football at any level is very simple score goals and more than the opposition. Nothing else matters, but to score goals you have to have shots, lots of them and that means get in his box and quickly.

If Rowett goes direct that's fine by me!

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

I watched Switzerland Ireland last night. The commentators were saying how great the Irish lads were but at the end of the day the Swiss keeper had nothing to do and there was one shot cleared of the line (and from memory that was across both matches).

You didn't see the save from Brunt then?

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I want goal mouth action not pitty patty 5 yard passes that don't pull the opposition out of shape, more like give him time to get into shape.

I heard a commentator say the other night that fans don't understand international football its more a chess game. No its not! Football at any level is very simple score goals and more than the opposition. Nothing else matters, but to score goals you have to have shots, lots of them and that means get in his box and quickly.

If Rowett goes direct that's fine by me!

I don’t get what last nights game has to do with your point.

Switzerland should have scored four or five whilst playing more short passes than NI played all together.

You want a team that can mix up and do both ,, there's a stupid kind of football snobbery amongst some that feel that anything over a ten yard pass is somehow the antichrist of football ,, keeping possession is good to a degree but when it becomes the be all and end all it breeds fear in the majority of players who stop being brave enough to take player on in case they lose it or they fear playing any other kind of pass than the safe one that is certain to reach a team mate ,, there's a balance ,too much of one or the other becomes predictable

Playing direct doesn't mean you'll get more chances. 

Having more shots doesn't mean you're more likely to score. 

If you had 50 shots from the halfway line are you more likely to score more than me taking 10 penalties? 

I mean Man City aren't doing too bad with creating chances and scoring goals. 

There's no right way to play football.

The most successful Derby sides haven't been particularly direct. 

For every pointless passing side I bet there's a useless hoofball side. 

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Playing direct doesn't mean you'll get more chances. 

Having more shots doesn't mean you're more likely to score. 

If you had 50 shots from the halfway line are you more likely to score more than me taking 10 penalties? 

I mean Man City aren't doing too bad with creating chances and scoring goals. 

There's no right way to play football.

The most successful Derby sides haven't been particularly direct. 

For every pointless passing side I bet there's a useless hoofball side. 

Playing direct means you are through on goal with less people around you, by definition closer to goal so you will get better chances and a higher probability of conversion.

Man City don't go long very often because the opposition play so deep its pointless.

The bit people are missing in this discussion is entertainment value. Long balls are not hoofball when played with purpose and accuracy. They get (most) of the crowd going. Clear goalmouth action is what we want, direct does that. Watching a 20 player scrum with the ball pingponging somewhere in the middle is frustrating. I am sure there are some here who will moan every forward ball over 5 yards. Fine, go and watch indoor 5 a side!

But I fully agree with earlier posts that you need to vary it and you play with what you've got in the team so there is no right way!

Playing direct means you are through on goal with less people around you, by definition closer to goal so you will get better chances and a higher probability of conversion.

Man City don't go long very often because the opposition play so deep its pointless.

The bit people are missing in this discussion is entertainment value. Long balls are not hoofball when played with purpose and accuracy. They get (most) of the crowd going. Clear goalmouth action is what we want, direct does that. 

I never understand this argument. 

Long passes are not hoof ball, no. Hoof ball is into the channels with the idea of winning a throw in. How often do you seen a team who regularly ping one in behind? Leicester two years ago? 

Teams that play it through the thirds can still play long passes. Xavi wouldn’t not spray it at Barcelona. Even the McClaren team had Lord Jake, Keogh, Keane, Thorne and Mascarell who would spray it.

Archived