Bradley Johnson's new role

RoyMac5

From the DET.

Who was on about Johnson should have been closing down Woods?

Derby County boss Gary Rowett explained the thinking behind handing midfielder Bradley Johnson a different role in last night's 1-1 draw at Brentford.

New signing Joe Ledley came in to partner Tom Huddlestone in central midfield and this allowed Rowett to move Johnson into a more advanced position off striker Sam Winnall. The shape was 4-2-3-1 but Johnson dropped back into midfield when Brentford had possession to make it more of a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. Part of his job appeared to involve closing down the Bees' playmaker Ryan Woods and this worked well in the opening 20 minutes...

Asked about Johnson's role, Rowett said: "We felt as though crosses into the box are something Brentford have not dealt so well with and that Jonno could give us that (threat) in the box.

"I felt we needed three midfielders centrally and I think if we had gone with Matej Vydra there or with one of the other forward players, it would have been too open.

"You have to sometimes respect the opposition. Brentford are a good side, they pass the ball well and they have done that to every single team that has gone to Griffin Park in the last 12 months.

"What they do, and they do it well, is they don't play up against you, they play in little pockets. They move the ball quickly and they make it really difficult for you to get out.

"We saw that for long periods of the game and we found it difficult to get out.

"When you win possession you have to keep possession but we showed a real lack of composure at times.

"The biggest problem for us is that we were really wasteful when we won it (the ball). If you keep giving the ball away, you are going to keep chasing the ball, and that is what happened."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Sounds to me like we are changing our style, tactics and players to eradicate the oppositions instead of playing our best team, in our style and making the opposition worry about US.

Yeah 'cos that worked so well away from home last season and for the start of this season didn't it.

To be fair every manager we have had since massively overpaying for Johnson and Butterfield has tried to fit both of them in which has had all kind of effects, for me I hope Johnson can score another Seven goals this season and have ten for the year then some club may just come in for him and buy him for reasonable money and we can go in a different direction and as for Butterfield I hold no such hope.

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Sounds to me like we are changing our style, tactics and players to eradicate the oppositions instead of playing our best team, in our style and making the opposition worry about US.

Didnt we do that last year at their place?

How did that end up???????????

i think its pretty common knowledge that in general when your away from home ur allowed to make allowances for what the opposition are going to throw at u

Dare i say it, gary took something from last years game and showed an awareness to address the problem?

or is that being too positive about the guy?

If he had gone open and we had more of the ball but lost by a similar scoreline to last season im sure people would be really moaning like f***.

but then atm hes dammed if he does and dammed if he doesnt with some people

Archived