Delusions of Billy

ilkleyram

Just now, Paul71 said:

No he didn't but he built an excellent team on no money, billy did get us promoted but to what cost? Set us for so far a decade of championship football.

I cannot agree with this either. He never had the financial backing to do that in the PL.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moist One said:

I cannot agree with this either. He never had the financial backing to do that in the PL.

I guess he is someone who will divide opinions, my view is we were lucky to get promoted that season. The team that lost to QPR was a better team.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I guess he is someone who will divide opinions, my view is we were lucky to get promoted that season. The team that lost to QPR was a better team.

Why were we lucky..? Explain that...? We finished 3rd miles and miles ahead of west brom, we beat them at wembley. We broke records for away wins... we thoroughly deserved to get promotion. 

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Why were we lucky..? Explain that...? We finished 3rd miles and miles ahead of west brom, we beat them at wembley. We broke records for away wins... we thoroughly deserved to get promotion. 

We were outplayed at Wembley but OK i on your basis which seems to say a manager is only as good as his league position i presume you think Rafa benetiz was a better manager last season than Chris Hughton?

I presume also its actually untrue that Nigel Clough was on the shortlist for manager of the season, not just for the championship but overall. I mean how could he have been, Burton finished like 20th in the championship he must only have been the 20th best manager last season.

4 hours ago, Moist One said:

I don't think he messed with it, we lost Jon Stead, who was a pivotal player in our upturn in form, and he had to replace him.

I just seem to recall him spending a relative fortune in January and our form dipping. Fagan and mceverley come to mind.

31 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Relative to what? Sunderland spent more on their goalkeeper than Davies spent ALL season!

Relative to previous spending. It was millions and we went from being clear top to lucky winners at Wembley. 

I won't deny I enjoyed being promoted but our football was never great that season.

We were lucky in both the semi and the final. 

I stand by that George burley did a far better job on no budget with us than Davies did with millions.

Billy's football was dour, to say the least, but he wasn't given a chance in the PL.

We got promoted into arguably the toughest PL in history and while Gadsby was spouting stuff like 'We're not here to make up the numbers' we basically did just that with such a paultry budget.

We were pipped to players like Kenweyne Jones because shelling out £6m on one player was deemed to much for our board at the time. How can you survive when Robert Earnshaw is your record signing at £3.5m?

We didn't have the best of squads when we got promoted. A 'three-year plan' was branded about upon Billy's appointment. We got promoted in the first season with a complete rift-raft of a squad.

Oakley, Howard, Jones and Barnes were the only players capable of doing a job up there. The rest were utter rubbish. And of those four, three were sold in January and the other missed most the season with injury.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Billy's football was dour, to say the least,

I think it's too easy to say this. Some football that season was brilliant. More often than not, we played pretty well until taking the lead, and then reverted to protecting the game. We scored a decent amount of goals, and when chasing an equaliser, were relentless in attack, albeit without much in terms of sheer flair.

7 minutes ago, Moist One said:

no it wasn't. Roy Keane signed him for Sunderland in the same season. They won the league, Birmingham 2nd, us 3rd.

In August 2007, Gordon agreed a five-year contract with Sunderland.[30] The £9 million fee was the highest a British club had ever paid for a goalkeeper,[31] until Manchester United paid around £17 million for David de Gea in 2011.

I've said it before....Billy davies achieving promotion with us was a phenomenal achievement, even if we did have good fortune at wembley.

but....we weren't a good side and we got annihilated in the prem.

things went from bad to worse with jewell.

the change of ownership was ultimately what cost billy his job, but he upset a few important people in a brief space of time.

he would perhaps say that that was their problem, but he didn't have enough support in the boardroom when the going got tough.

What happened at forest is really what blew his reputation, and whilst there he seemed to harbour some ill will towards Derby.

Just now, cannable said:

In August 2007, Gordon agreed a five-year contract with Sunderland.[30] The £9 million fee was the highest a British club had ever paid for a goalkeeper,[31] until Manchester United paid around £17 million for David de Gea in 2011.

oh, fair enough, they spent the same on him in the PL as what we spent on everything. But still, Billy spent about £6-7m in promotion season, baring in mind that he inherited a squad of about 10 players.

And the second we won at Wembley, we were the bookies favourite to go down, because it was clear to everyone that we weren't going to cut it with what we had, and billy kept reminding everyone that going up through the playoffs (which was his own fault) gave us a shorter transfer window, so all the low hanging fruit had already been taken. So the writing was in the wall, we were f****** before we even started. Probably should've used the season to consolidate and get ready for a couple of years of yoyoing. But instead ended up paying fortunes for players that were only good enough to play for a team that was doomed to relagation. 

Just now, Moist One said:

fault? do you mean "achievement". Promotion = success, surely.

That's such a simple way of looking at it. He took a team that was 9pts clear (that was his achievement), and took them to 3rd (that was his fault). 

Its been noted that we were well clear of West Brom, and therefore deserved promotion. But no we didn't. Despite the points difference we went into that final as the underdogs. We had been on a downward spiral since January, and West Brom were on an upward spiral. 

Because of that, no one of any quality would touch us with a barge pole. And billy got his excuses in early, almost before the final whistle, he was making his escape plan. 

We should've got rid there and then, and got an experienced premier league manager in with a bit of pull. 

Who the f*** wants to play for billy f****** Davies!

33 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That's such a simple way of looking at it. He took a team that was 9pts clear (that was his achievement), and took them to 3rd (that was his fault). 

the season is a season long, so you are actually looking at it in a simple and unfair way. Reality, he took a team that survived relegation the season before, and got them promoted. In the same way the season doesn't end in November if you're bottom, it doesn't if you're top. We deserved promotion cos over 46 games, we were the third best team. If West Brom were better, why didn't they force their way into the top 2/3, same with Southampton.?

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Billy's football was dour, to say the least, but he wasn't given a chance in the PL.

We got promoted into arguably the toughest PL in history and while Gadsby was spouting stuff like 'We're not here to make up the numbers' we basically did just that with such a paultry budget.

We were pipped to players like Kenweyne Jones because shelling out £6m on one player was deemed to much for our board at the time. How can you survive when Robert Earnshaw is your record signing at £3.5m?

We didn't have the best of squads when we got promoted. A 'three-year plan' was branded about upon Billy's appointment. We got promoted in the first season with a complete rift-raft of a squad.

Oakley, Howard, Jones and Barnes were the only players capable of doing a job up there. The rest were utter rubbish. And of those four, three were sold in January and the other missed most the season with injury.

It's not true that we had a paltry budget. We spent £12 million in the summer . Doesn't sound much now but it was 10 years ago. Would have spent more But i think everyone knew we were doomed from the start. Bradford did better with much less money , burnnley too. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Its been noted that we were well clear of West Brom, and therefore deserved promotion. But no we didn't. Despite the points difference we went into that final as the underdogs. We had been on a downward spiral since January, and West Brom were on an upward spiral. 

Because of that, no one of any quality would touch us with a barge pole. And billy got his excuses in early, almost before the final whistle, he was making his escape plan. 

We should've got rid there and then, and got an experienced premier league manager in with a bit of pull. 

Who the f*** wants to play for billy f****** Davies!

How can we be 9 points clear of Southampton and 8 points clear of west brom at the end of a 46 game season and NOT deserve promotion...? 

As someone pointed out we should have used the next season to get the money stick with the manager and come down like Burnley did...but we fired him...which cost us. 

The truth of the matter is hat if Billy had gone anywhere else but Forest then no one would hold all this hate towards him, it's one of the most tin pot things about our supporters. 

Archived