New Bike Lane

1of4

Derby council are going to put a bike lane down St Peters Street. I hope they make the lane very obvious or pedestrian shoppers will walk into it, not realising its there. Add to this the cyclists who we be travelling at speed because they'll deem that they have right of way and I think there is potential accident waiting to happen. 

I think this is a stupid plan by the council and Peters St should be left as it is and the present ban on bikes be more rigorously enforced.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are shared footpaths around Heatherton - half for cyclists and half for pedestrians - bloody dangerous on a bike as most of the pedestrians don't recognise the little picture of a bike as meaning it's a cycle lane so they wander all over the place. This is a recipe for disaster...

As you say, it would make more sense to enforce the current restrictions (including issuing fines) and put this money towards more important things (public toilets/libraries/zombie hunters...)

27 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Culture change required. Spend any time in Holland and you quickly learn to keep out of the bike lanes. It'll take time.

How many accidents or even deaths like the one recently in London will be acceptable while the learning exercise is completed

15 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Where do you go if you've only got an old bike?

Good point. They find it hard enough to prevent bikes being ridden through there at the moment - when riders have to carry proof of how old their bike is before they're allowed in 'the lane', it's going to be a nightmare - and what will the cut off be? - a year? two?

This apparently simple idea actually has all the hallmarks of a council conspiracy to improve new bike sales - does Banwait have shares in a bikeshop?

Archived