Detailed exposé of Sheffield United's deadline day dealings

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:43, G STAR RAM said:

Shows what vermin agents are.

Are they really needed in the game?

About time players did a bit of thinking for themselves.

Fixed fee, whether it's for a transfer of a contract renewal, decreases as you slide down the league.

£20,000 Premier League

£15,000 Championship

£10,000 League One

With a symbolic £2,5k per transfer going to the PFA.

If any player below the level needs its, the PFA should do it free of charge.

Even with those fees, a decent agent needs to look after a dozen players a season to be making decent money.

Image rights split 50/50 for the duration of the contract.

A decent  agent would have no issue attracting a stable of players on those fees and as long as they don't turn into sharks, they'd keep those players throughout their career.

It's an absolute scandal to the game how much money is being taken out of it by people acting as middle men. It's a disgrace that agents play such an important role in what sometimes appears to be little more than a money laundering exercise across the game.

On 9/2/2017 at 18:58, Penelope Pendrex said:

'Exposé' might be pushing it, but this a pretty fascinating all-access look at Sheffield United's deadline day:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

It's quite interesting to read. What is more important it's a good example for the fans to see in reality how much some of the transfer fees were really paid and what are the transfer budgets of the the clubs which play in the same division like Derby. So people don't bemoan about "poundland purchases" done by Gary Rowett.

Interesting read.

An unpopular view perhaps but I think agents are important. For too long players were ripped off by clubs and not paid their worth and ended up in poverty later in their career. A good agent represents the player's best interests and makes sure they get a fair deal but also has one eye on the wider picture.

The trouble is, like most of life, the pendulum has swung too far and the bad agents now appear to be in the majority - agents that force moves, that disrupt by manipulating the press, that get paid by both player and club, that end up operating in neither the player or the clubs' best interests, but their own. Part of the reason is that players themselves sometimes appear to be employed by the agents rather than the other way round. Perhaps the PFA should work on that but probably not in their interests to do so.

10 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Players need agents, but their wages are problematically big.

17-22 (or even 35)-year-old kids don't know anything about contracts, it's good that someone is looking after them.

Put it in front of a solicitor. 

The amount leaving the game into agents pockets is not good.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Put it in front of a solicitor. 

The amount leaving the game into agents pockets is not good.

That's the thing, most of them are lawyers.

This one is a good article from the inside of football, not just fan opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/19/football-agents-monaco

I personally found them extremely useful, I could only concentrate on playing. And I'd find it extremely stupid to have tough negotiations before moving to a club, much easier to let the third party do it. I would compare it having a fight with your girlfriend before ending up with her. No sense at all.

Stumbled across it at the weekend and found it an interesting read. Would love to know more behind the scenes stuff, but you know we'd just wind ourselves up even tighter and moan more.

l reckon there's so much backwards and forwards we never hear. We must have also been offered Villa outcasts (I presume he was eluding specifically to McCormack) along with many others.

Whilst it would be nice to know all of these and if we actively offered our own players for loan/sale, and reading between the lines I expect we did, no club would give that level of detail out.

59 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

That's the thing, most of them are lawyers.

This one is a good article from the inside of football, not just fan opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/19/football-agents-monaco

I personally found them extremely useful, I could only concentrate on playing. And I'd find it extremely stupid to have tough negotiations before moving to a club, much easier to let the third party do it. I would compare it having a fight with your girlfriend before ending up with her. No sense at all.

Footballers 'work' for about 3 or 4 hours a day.

Im sure they could use a bit of their spare time to do their own negotiations!

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Footballers 'work' for about 3 or 4 hours a day.

Im sure they could use a bit of their spare time to do their own negotiations!

Or rather they could hire someone to do it who is far better at it, knows how much the player is worth, and has trained for it.

Players would be stupid not to have agents.

They are necessary and it's better that the players get the money than the suits at the clubs.

45 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Or rather they could hire someone to do it who is far better at it, knows how much the player is worth, and has trained for it.

Players would be stupid not to have agents.

They are necessary and it's better that the players get the money than the suits at the clubs.

Why does it need an agent to tell the club how much he thinks the player should be earning?

How do they know how much the player is worth? It's all about seeing how much they can squeeze out of the club (and ultimately the end consumer ie the fan), nothing to do with how much they are worth.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why does it need an agent to tell the club how much he thinks the player should be earning?

How do they know how much the player is worth? It's all about seeing how much they can squeeze out of the club (and ultimately the end consumer ie the fan), nothing to do with how much they are worth.

Of course it's about getting the players as much as they can.

It makes no difference to the fans. Clubs negotiate television deals and they set ticket prices to get as much as they can. Player wages don't affect that.

Agents make sure that players are getting a fair chunk of that money rather than it staying in the club suit's pockets.

1 minute ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Of course it's about getting the players as much as they can.

It makes no difference to the fans. Clubs negotiate television deals and they set ticket prices to get as much as they can. Player wages don't affect that.

Agents make sure that players are getting a fair chunk of that money rather than it staying in the club suit's pockets.

Not sure about you but whenever I wanted a payrise I always used to go and ask the boss myself, didn't need an agent to do it for me.

It makes no difference to the fans? Really?

I assume season ticket prices and Sky Sports subscriptions are the same price as they were 25 years ago then?

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure about you but whenever I wanted a payrise I always used to go and ask the boss myself, didn't need an agent to do it for me.

It makes no difference to the fans? Really?

I assume season ticket prices and Sky Sports subscriptions are the same price as they were 25 years ago then?

Football clubs are a business. They aim to spend the least they can on their staff to maximise profits. Agents do the hard work of negotiating so players don't have to. Most players don't want to deal with that. It's by far the best option for most players. Players who didn't have agents such as Paul Scholes and Ian Wright did so knowing they wouldn't be getting as much money as they could have gotten. Most players naturally want the most they can get in what is a very short career.

And season ticket prices? You're just arguing for the sake of it now.

ticket-prices-premier-league-1992-93.png

Allowing for inflation (2.7% a year), it's not too far off. Clubs charge what they think they can get. They make a lot more money off TV these days, anyway.

And Sky prices have zero to do with agents. They bid against other broadcasters, such as BT, and pass the costs on to customers. Players wages aren't connected. If it wasn't for agents, a larger portion of those TV profits would be sitting in the Club Executives' pockets rather than the players' pockets.

Archived