The FOBT debate, to ban or not to ban.

Mafiabob

1 minute ago, David said:

Probably best just ignoring them then, focus your efforts on helping those that need it than wasting time arguing with campaigners. How many have blocked you now? Just not worth it. 

You're right, my problem is I probably care too much, and have to realise I can't help everyone. I know that, I've had 200 odd people contact me, I'd say 75% of those haven't replied to my next message. 

I'm blocked by rethinkgambling, various FOBT accounts, Andy Gosling (@andygosling2) also a chap whose becoming prominent called Jason Haddigan, I can show the DMs where he's trying to promote his £20 paperback book on how he and why he tried to con the bookies because of his addiction. A simple google search of his name will give you why he's just in it for himself and relive his glory years and make his "dough" back. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an aside, I've been in GA rooms where one side there was a multi millionaire and the other a bloke who wasn't sure where he was staying that night.

Can affect anyone young or old, rich or poor. Anyone it don't discriminate.

6 minutes ago, Shang said:

But what lottery winners / rich people are gonna be playing on FOBTs in a Ladbrokes? These are placed in places where the poor and disadvantaged spend a lot of time. 

I'd rather people lose £100 than lose £3000 trying to win it all back.

That's a sweeping generalisation and one, from experience, that I can tell you is completely mis-guided.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's a sweeping generalisation and one, from experience, that I can tell you is completely mis-guided.

Absolutely, as per my post above. 

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Absolutely, as per my post above. 

The main difference being that the rich businessman is more likely to lose his 3 grand and leave without a fuss, whereas the person who cannot afford to lose it likely to become more aggressive!

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well from my experience of living inner city London, where there's 7 betting shops on the same high street, the majority of their clientele are the poor who I see in there from opening till close, even if only to be able to watch sports on the screens.

There will be rich and poor people addicted to gambling, but the means of the way they gamble are different. An unsupervised and unmonitored means of betting should not be of a high value. 

1 minute ago, Shang said:

Well from my experience of living inner city London, where there's 7 betting shops on the same high street, the majority of their clientele are the poor who I see in there from opening till close, even if only to be able to watch sports on the screens.

There will be rich and poor people addicted to gambling, but the means of the way they gamble are different. An unsupervised and unmonitored means of betting should not be of a high value. 

Could not agree more.

I do not have a problem with the machines just where they are located.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The main difference being that the rich businessman is more likely to lose his 3 grand and leave without a fuss, whereas the person who cannot afford to lose it likely to become more aggressive!

You'd think that, but I've seen both rich and poor go to jail for what they've done. 

With regards what to do and I'm trying to address the concerns. All for better self exclusion regs..... across the board term time to be banned from bookies etc. Instead of from one company to another (some can be every 3/5 years, some as little as 6 months).

Adverts after 9pm and not during sporting events.

Maybe limits on how much you can put into a FOBT. What bothers me is that addicts will still be putting money in, the gamble us still there for me.

Have an option on application if a credit/current account where to tick a box if you can block gambling on a card. That would work but as I say, it has to come from the individual to do this.

Online there is various apps and programs in place to block sites. 

I don't believe in banning anything that isn't illegal. Simply people should seek help for the things they are addicted to.

You don't close shops to prevent shoplifters. You don't ban women walking alone to prevent rapists. You expect the potential shoplifter or rapist to address their urges. Maybe a crude analogy, but it's a similar logic and not far from removing free speech to prevent uprising etc.

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I don't believe in banning anything that isn't illegal. Simply people should seek help for the things they are addicted to.

You don't close shops to prevent shoplifters. You don't ban women walking alone to prevent rapists. You expect the potential shoplifter or rapist to address their urges. Maybe a crude analogy, but it's a similar logic and not far from removing free speech to prevent uprising etc.

But then we have ways to monitor those things. Shops have guards, streets have CCTV and lights. There are deterrents so they could be caught. There's no way to catch people gambling away their lives till it's too late?

8 minutes ago, Shang said:

But then we have ways to monitor those things. Shops have guards, streets have CCTV and lights. There are deterrents so they could be caught. There's no way to catch people gambling away their lives till it's too late?

With greatest respect the two questions I pose should be enough.

There is plenty of help out there, unfortunately can't help everyone, they have to help themselves. 

Take Gazza and his demons, hopefully he's sorting himself out, he knows where he needs to go and get help, yet at least once every 12/18 months he's in the headlines for the wrong reasons. However much the press pray on him, he knows he's responsible for his actions. 

Show you this..... this is the next thing lobbyists are going after, saying it's grooming to gamble. Saying everyone from different industries are colluding with one another to make people gamble. 

I asked the question to these guys whether Wine Gums, Rum and Raisin ice cream, any sauce with the flavour of alcohol in it etc is grooming people to drink. Got told  not to be so silly...... 

IMG_0980.PNG

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Show you this..... this is the next thing lobbyists are going after, saying it's grooming to gamble. Saying everyone from different industries are colluding with one another to make people gamble. 

I asked the question to these guys whether Wine Gums, Rum and Raisin ice cream, any sauce with the flavour of alcohol in it etc is grooming people to drink. Got told  not to be so silly...... 

IMG_0980.PNG

I can't see the sense in this.

I remember when candy cigarettes were popular. It just encouraged children to play at smoking. Subtle messages inserted into forming brains. Now it's banned - what was it for?

I'd ask the question - what for? And I answered your questions that nobody will answer. I think the answers are blindingly obvious, but I'm not sure what difference those answers make. 

I've gambled and lost more than I could afford to, and I have come to the conclusion that gambling adds nothing positive, like smoking. I cannot find any good argument to not regulate it. I can't really argue against an outright ban, other than you know it'll carry on with zero regulation in the black market.

I Don't bet, it's a mugs game, always has been.

I buy a lottery ticket every Wednesday and Saturday and that's just to be in it.

I do, however, understand how an addiction to something, be it gambling or drugs or whatever can take hold of you and skew your perception of the world/family etc.

I hope anyone here who is addicted seeks help or finds inner strength to change or both. It's hard to break addiction, often means massive lifestyle changes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/16/fixed-odds-betting-terminals-odds-crackdown

Gave a paragraph to this article out today. Shame didn't take all the words I had said in why I think it's dangerous to ban them but hey ho, it's a start..... guessing a certain politico who was Jeremy Corbyns right hand man has made sure my voice wasn't fully heard, judging by the fact he tweeted me out the blue yesterday questioning me..... think the lobbyists are petrified of me.....

The reason that gambling becomes an addiction is because of the thrill you get when you win. So the gamblers keep chasing the thrill - and in the proceeds lose all their money.

In the 1950s scientists designed an experiment with rats where  a lever press would deliver direct brain stimulation to the pleasure centre through electrodes. The result was that the rats would press the lever thousands of times an hour to trigger the pleasure stimulus.

Subsequent experiments showed the rats preferred pleasure circuit stimulation to food (even when they were hungry) and water (even when they were thirsty). They would ignore females in heat and in the final experiment would repeatedly cross wires that delivered electric shocks in order to reach the lever. Female rats would abandon newborn babies to continually press the lever. Eventually they starved to death. Pressing that lever became their entire world.

So in some ways neither banning the devices, or education is the true answer. The true answer would to be to somehow remove the thrill so that the behaviour is no longer desirable.

That's why I'm lobbying for FOBT winnings to be paid out only to those people prepared to collect their winnings whilst wearing nothing but a Forest shirt and a nappy

Not related to FOBT but was surprised to receive an email from DCFC stating if I took rams TV for 45.00 I would get free 45.00 credit with an online bookmaker. They then say you have to spend it all within a week.

Doesn't seem very responsible advertising.

Archived