Bids for players

rammieib

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I question the point of signing anybody unless you get the players you genuinely believe will get you of this league. For whatever reason, the board and Rowett have failed so far in this area.

I know we've signed some real tripe so far which is costing us millions on salaries but if we don't go out and get the players we need for Promotion, I think it's a lack of ambition. We have put ourselves into a position now where we actually need to pay increased fees.

your arguments hold as much water as a seive. Clements spent millions on players you now class as tripe Rowett has made what could be classed as bargain basement prices on three players who have strengthen the side tremendously( how long as he working on those 3) let him get on with is job and try keeping your negative thoughts so yourself until such time as they can be jistified

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

I find it worrying that we have bids in for "a number of players" when we've been told that we'll wait for our top target. The wording of we've got a number of bids in for players kind of indicates its at least 3 maybe? Sounds rather desperate.

The sooner our transfer policy moves away from working our way down the championship table offering for their best winger from last season the better.

This is my concern.

Bids in for several players suggests we want them all, or we will take any of them.

I remember Rowett talking about him spending money like it was his and he never liked to overspend, he said he picked it up from Clough.

Now if this is the case get shopping abroad, money goes a long way, I mean you could get a couple of right hookers on the cheap from Prague, if Rugby is ya bag.

32 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

I find it worrying that we have bids in for "a number of players" when we've been told that we'll wait for our top target. The wording of we've got a number of bids in for players kind of indicates its at least 3 maybe? Sounds rather desperate.

The sooner our transfer policy moves away from working our way down the championship table offering for their best winger from last season the better.

How does it sound desperate ? We would be naive to literally put all our eggs in one basket , don't you think ? I'm sure Rowett has a preference of the players we have bids in for and if all 3 as you say , come off Rowett will have a decision to make. 

This is not a dig at you personally but the club can't do right for wrong in some fans eyes. Damned if we do damned if we don't. 

We need to get a bit more creative. We talk about having an academy or developing players. But we keep trying to buy instant success. And thats why we are sometimes perceived like this.....

A few days before the season starts, building a decent looking squad and they just want to come and cherry pick one of our key players? We don't need to sell so they should be made to pay well over the odds if they really want him or any of our 1st team players. 

Are we incapable of spotting players with potential and developing them?

surely we have learned by now that shelling out big fees in this league is pure folly.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We need to get a bit more creative. We talk about having an academy or developing players. But we keep trying to buy instant success. And thats why we are sometimes perceived like this.....

Are we incapable of spotting players with potential and developing them?

surely we have learned by now that shelling out big fees in this league is pure folly.

Who's the quote from/ regarding ramnut?

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Does anyone else find the phrase that we have bids in for players quite frustrating? It makes it sound like we spend ages putting together an 'offer' and then wait ages for responses, if indeed we get a response.

Now I would have thought in this world you get responses pretty quickly and at some point it becomes a 'face to face negotiation'.

I know I'm looking at this rather simplistically but it's another term Rowett has used that we've never really come across under Morris before.

i do genuinely wonder if we are missing a skill set that Rush had and nobody else does at the moment.

What a load of tripe. I am sure Gary Rowett knows a good deal more about transfers than you. It is not Derby's right to buy who they want. Several clubs will put their bid in for players. Then you have to take into account where that player might want to go , his agents influence , his club might have a clause saying he can't move to certain clubs/leagues etc etc etc. Unless you are willing to bid silly money which will turn heads then patients is of the order and make sure you have cover if you don't get who you want. 

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

your arguments hold as much water as a seive. Clements spent millions on players you now class as tripe Rowett has made what could be classed as bargain basement prices on three players who have strengthen the side tremendously( how long as he working on those 3) let him get on with is job and try keeping your negative thoughts so yourself until such time as they can be jistified

When is that point Tommy when they can be justified? Is it when he gets sacked, when its the end of the season, when the transfer window closes or now when we have kicked off the season and every bid we've made for an attacking player has been rebuffed? The fact he is making the bids tells you he doesn't believe the players we have are good enough.

9 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

What a load of tripe. I am sure Gary Rowett knows a good deal more about transfers than you. It is not Derby's right to buy who they want. Several clubs will put their bid in for players. Then you have to take into account where that player might want to go , his agents influence , his club might have a clause saying he can't move to certain clubs/leagues etc etc etc. Unless you are willing to bid silly money which will turn heads then patients is of the order and make sure you have cover if you don't get who you want. 

I hope he does know more than me, but more importantly, I hope our Exec team know more than Gary. Gary won't be doing the negotiating - sure he'll probably be putting a limit on a players value but he's now venturing into ground he has zero experience in. Anything over £4 Million he's never touched before and he could well be scared. At least Clement wasn't scared with higher fee's as his pedigree from his CV shows.

My point so far (and in 2,5 weeks I really hope I'm wrong) we are going into this season at the moment with a squad that GR doesn't believe is currently good enough for top two. If he thought it was good enough - he wouldn't be trying to sign players. Our club should be aiming for top two. The fact we are in this position at the moment is the responsibility of GR/MM.

I'm sorry I'm despondent - but 4 seasons of hope (where I believed the team was good enough each year) are pushing me into a season which will remind me of Nigel Clough football.

10 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

How does it sound desperate ? We would be naive to literally put all our eggs in one basket , don't you think ? I'm sure Rowett has a preference of the players we have bids in for and if all 3 as you say , come off Rowett will have a decision to make. 

This is not a dig at you personally but the club can't do right for wrong in some fans eyes. Damned if we do damned if we don't. 

Of course we expect the club to bid for players, but bidding (what sounds like) quite a number of players at once when we've been told we only want 1 just shows how far down our list of targets we've had to go. It also goes against Rowett's comments about waiting for our main targets, and to me its likely to mean we end up with yet another bang average winger. If you're getting down to target number 5 or 6 on your list then surely you may be better going back and paying more for target 1.

I'm a big fan of Rowett and the other business he's done so far has been really good, but I can't help but think we're made a real mess of the Ince replacement.

The fact that all of these targets are other championship clubs best attackers which your always going to have to pay over the odds for just reiterates the point other people have made about the scouting. When we employ a number of full time scouts its a bit disheartening to see that the players your linked with (and have confirmed interest in) could all be picked off a list of the best performing wingers in your league in the last couple of years.

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Does anyone else find the phrase that we have bids in for players quite frustrating? It makes it sound like we spend ages putting together an 'offer' and then wait ages for responses, if indeed we get a response.

Now I would have thought in this world you get responses pretty quickly and at some point it becomes a 'face to face negotiation'.

I know I'm looking at this rather simplistically but it's another term Rowett has used that we've never really come across under Morris before.

i do genuinely wonder if we are missing a skill set that Rush had and nobody else does at the moment.

Unseen discussions you mean

12 hours ago, Roboram said:

I feel a bit sorry for Rowett, even though he knew the score when he took the job.

Our last set of accounts indicated that the reckless spending of the last couple of years has got to stop. Chuck in the possible onset of FFP & we are now shopping in a completely different market where we simply can't just double the realistic rate in transfer fee & pay ridiculous wages to no more than average players,

On top of this we are unable to offload much of the deadwood accumulated during the Rush era

I reckon he'll need a couple more windows to be able to sort things out

IF he's still here by then.

We have signed three players from clubs who were in the premiership last season which suggests the quality has increased? 

Archived