Should we lower our expectations

Mick Brolly

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We are crying out to be stable..... last two seasons have seen no continuity at the club whatsoever. The bloke needs time but I fear he won't get it. Who'd replace him anyway? Someone who'll get another 6 month stint and another season wasted. 

I know but we also need the right person to take us forward. I'd give him the season bar something disastrous happening. However personally I think if he doesn't finish in the playoffs MM should have a long hard think about whether he's right to take us forward.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I know but we also need the right person to take us forward. I'd give him the season bar something disastrous happening. However personally I think if he doesn't finish in the playoffs MM should have a long hard think about whether he's right to take us forward.

Whose the right person then? 

We have wasted 2 seasons now with many managerial changes..... really have wasted so much time..... 

The man needs time, we need (and certainly Mel) bottle to let him make the changes necessary.

We can't being rash anymore. It's killed momentum being like this. Continuity needed. 

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Whose the right person then? 

We have wasted 2 seasons now with many managerial changes..... really have wasted so much time..... 

The man needs time, we need (and certainly Mel) bottle to let him make the changes necessary.

We can't being rash anymore. It's killed momentum being like this. Continuity needed. 

Honestly I don't know but surely we need to see signs of heading in the right direction ? There has to be a minimum level of expectation that he has to meet and shouldn't have a 'free hit' for the season. It's just where you set that level at. I feel that most would set it at being top half with signs of the squad coming together, personally I think it should be playoffs because of he should be judged more harshly for the bold decisions he made in the summer to sell of our two best players.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly I don't know but surely we need to see signs of heading in the right direction ? There has to be a minimum level of expectation that he has to meet and shouldn't have a 'free hit' for the season. It's just where you set that level at. I feel that most would set it at being top half with signs of the squad coming together, personally I think it should be playoffs because of he should be judged more harshly for the bold decisions he made in the summer to sell of our two best players.

Think hand was forced on Ince and Hughes myself. Think they knew they were hunted by Prem and they deserve their shot.

I think he deserves at least a full season. Maybe more. But in this world of itchy trigger fingers and less bottle I fear he won't get it. 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think hand was forced on Ince and Hughes myself. Think they knew they were hunted by Prem and they deserve their shot.

I think he deserves at least a full season. Maybe more. But in this world of itchy trigger fingers and less bottle I fear he won't get it. 

I don't buy his hand was forced, the fees were too low and they were sold too early in the summer for it to have been 'forced'. He chose to sell them early because he wanted to get funds in early to get the players he wanted to play the style of football he planned on.

However I do agree he should have the full season (bar a disaster like being in the bottom 3 at Xmas) regardless.

Depends on what your expectations are.

If you were in the should be top6 but we're not top 2 material last night doesn't change that.

Fitness was good, sharpness/execution was sloppy but we know they are capable of better.

If we're still that panicking and sloppy and disjointed ten games in, then, yes, its going to be a mid table slog.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I don't buy his hand was forced, the fees were too low and they were sold too early in the summer for it to have been 'forced'. He chose to sell them early because he wanted to get funds in early to get the players he wanted to play the style of football he planned on.

However I do agree he should have the full season (bar a disaster like being in the bottom 3 at Xmas) regardless.

Really think Ince and Hughes will still be here? Don't think he had any alternative myself.

I really don't think "the Derby fans" had unrealistic expectations at the start of the season. It's the manager and the players who are saying promotion.

This team, as it stands, won't finish in the playoffs. Need a serious investment on good players and to just accept our losses. Other teams have gambled and lost money on some players but have continued to invest and we should do the same. 3 players are needed to improve the wings and midfield and just loan out the rest who clearly don't fit into the system.

But, if there isn't the cash then we should have a Nigel Clough approach and look to rebuild a young hungry side.

Last season we got 4 points in total off the relagation premiership teams

3 vs Norwich at home and 1 vs Aston Villa at home 

so far we have 1 pt away from home - maybe we are doing better on that front but we will see in a month if Sunderland are better or worse that yesterday when the window shuts, oh and we scored a goal and should have had 3 which which we didn't until October last time out! 

Not at all.

i still think we'll win a few things.

longest pass

Worst ref

best cashmere jumper

Longest running transfer saga

28 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Really think Ince and Hughes will still be here? Don't think he had any alternative myself.

Maybe not but I'd have cut Rowett more slack if he had not sold to the first bidder, dug his heels in more and got a "couldn't refuse" fee. Personally to me it looked like he chose to sell them to raise quick cash to shape the squad, if the squad ends up worse (which it is currently) then he should be judged accordingly.

Not expecting too much this season. It’s been a while since we were last in the PL and I doubt the squad GR inherited was going to get us promoted. Change was needed. So far GR’s recruitment in his first window has been good. Given our recruitment over the last few seasons that’s a huge relief.

Main problem for GR is that we’re still suffering from piss poor recruitment under previous managers. We have far too many average-to-poor players on very good contracts that we just can’t sell. I was annoyed that Hughes left but I don’t blame GR for that (or for Ince leaving) as it looked like that was his only option if he wanted to bring about change.

Last season against the relegated prem clubs even with us having Ince and Hughes we scored one goal in the six games ( Johnson) and let in 7 goals so we are potential improving on that little league and if we can find a good balance in midfield and up front we will be better.

54 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Not expecting too much this season. It’s been a while since we were last in the PL and I doubt the squad GR inherited was going to get us promoted. Change was needed. So far GR’s recruitment in his first window has been good. Given our recruitment over the last few seasons that’s a huge relief.

Main problem for GR is that we’re still suffering from piss poor recruitment under previous managers. We have far too many average-to-poor players on very good contracts that we just can’t sell. I was annoyed that Hughes left but I don’t blame GR for that (or for Ince leaving) as it looked like that was his only option if he wanted to bring about change.

He didn't have to do both.

esp since he also got a good fee for christie.

we seem to have only one option now.

loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

He didn't have to do both.

esp since he also got a good fee for christie.

we seem to have only one option now.

loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg.

Didn’t he? I’d have thought GR's ‘choices’ were pretty limited. The money’s obviously not flowing as it did.

Speculation alert. Maybe one of Hughes or Ince would still be here if other managers were daft enough to pay good money for some of the many other (lesser) players we have on very expensive contracts. Maybe Hughes and/or Ince believed it was time they were playing in the PL anyway. Maybe GR had a good plan to replace both Hughes and Ince but then the players he wanted dropped out, went elsewhere, or became too expensive and he’s having to work on alternative plans. I’m not claiming I know the choices GR actually made - but I’m not going to jump into the ‘GR is an idiot’ camp until he’s had at least one full season to prove he's an idiot.

The football’s not been ‘sparkling’ since 13/14 and when I think back to this time last year I shudder - so I can put up with a bit of looooonnnngggg ball during a period of transition.

21 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

I was thinking this could be the season we made the prem, but I think that at the start of every season, I wasn't a massive fan of Ince but how we could have done with him tonight, i can't be alone in thinking how dissapointing that display was but I'm happy with a point and I'm sure we'll improve but we lacked any quality service to the front men. Should i lower my expectations and just hope we challenge for the playoffs this season and build for next season, will that be good enough for Mel? I don't think it will. 

This is the problem. Because of all the money that has been spent, expectations from fans and chairman have been high- the reality is regularly underperforming players equals average team performances... Mel will expect nothing less than a playoff place- no time for GR to dismantle and rebuild- the outcome is inevitable - the management merry-go round will just keep turning

"But, if there isn't the cash then we should have a Nigel Clough approach and look to rebuild a young hungry side."

Agree and I think Rowett could well be that man based on what he has done at Burton and Birmingham, but how the hell do you 

get rid of at least 6 players (you know who) when we are paying them over the top salaries?? There is just no room for the 'youngsters'.

I will get my tin hat out now but for me it does make you appreciate more the job Clough actually did at Derby. Just a pity he was not more attack minded towards the end. Not all of his transfers worked out (yes I will mention 'the Fish' before others do!!) but it can not be denied that he put a very good team together from minimal investment that McLaren had the benefit of.

Archived