Should we lower our expectations

Mick Brolly

48 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Every team in the league last year had 'two best players'. Even those that got relegated. Where we finished in the league isn't going to change that. Hardly controversial pointing out that Hughes and Ince were key players in the Derby side.

But you are right, it's best to wait until the window has closed before we can really make an assessment on whether we should expect to be stronger or weaker than last year.

Or perhaps we could try watching a few games to see whether we are stronger or weaker than last season and leave worrying about transfer windows to the management!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ossieram said:

Or perhaps we could try watching a few games to see whether we are stronger or weaker than last season and leave worrying about transfer windows to the management!

If I'm not worrying about the team's prospects then i won't feel I'm doing my job as a neurotic Derby fan. And the fact that we powerless and have the leave these decisions to the management isn't going to make me feel any better. Maybe i could relax if the club had a flawless record in the transfer market, but it's safe to say that's never been the case. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

If I'm not worrying about the team's prospects then i won't feel I'm doing my job as a neurotic Derby fan. And the fact that we powerless and have the leave these decisions to the management isn't going to make me feel any better. Maybe i could relax if the club had a flawless record in the transfer market, but it's safe to say that's never been the case. 

Because there are so many clubs that have never signed duds.

13 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Because there are so many clubs that have never signed duds.

Exactly my point, all clubs **** up in the transfer market. Therefore, Derby might too. So it's a time for fans to be apprehensive, if they care about their club's prospects. Let's hope for the best...but there is no point in telling people not to be concerned.

Just now, Highgate said:

Exactly my point, all clubs **** up in the transfer market. Therefore, Derby might too. So it's a time for fans to be apprehensive, if they care about their club's prospects. Let's hope for the best...but there is no point in telling people not to be concerned.

Will being concerned change anything? Take a deep breath, relax and see what happens without being concerned or worrying and things will turn out how they turn out.

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Will being concerned change anything? Take a deep breath, relax and see what happens without being concerned or worrying and things will turn out how they turn out.

Of course it won't....but I care, so I'm concerned.

Does worrying about hanging on to a 1-0 lead with 5 mins to go change anything? No, it doesn't...but I'm going to be biting my nails anyway.

Insouciance is not the natural state of mind of the football fan.  Lifestyle gurus and mindfulness supervisors can **** off.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Of course it won't....but I care, so I'm concerned.

Does worrying about hanging on to a 1-0 lead with 5 mins to go change anything? No, it doesn't...but I'm going to be biting my nails anyway.

Insouciance is not the natural state of mind of the football fan.  Lifestyle gurus and mindfulness supervisors can **** off.

Made me smile that last paragraph! Insouciance great choice of word?

Archived